Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments

upload_2018-12-12_14-48-13.png

Seriously. That small bit on the corner of the headlights annoy me. Fixed. hahaha

It's a bit overstyled.

Finally now people can start showing pics of the actual new Supra instead of the FT-1 when comparing the new and oldest

Idk guys, I think it's kind of a cluttered mess.

I feel like they've also ruined their own reveal by drawing it out sooooo long while everyone who's interested has already been exposed to all manner of leaks, bad renders, and camo'd test cars. We've basically known what it would look like for quite a while, so there is not much anticipation left for the reveal.

I always thought the FT-1 was kind of ugly. But the FT-1 looks brilliant compared to the production version.

Maybe it will be sensational to drive? Idk....but I'm not into it.

Honestly... I don't like. It looks kind of like a cheap, small sports car (proportions are also off), not like a proper GT, Supra used to be...

Honestly... I don't like. It looks kind of like a cheap, small sports car (proportions are also off), not like a proper GT, Supra used to be...
Could be colour dependent as well.
In red it looks fast. The Mk4 looks like a Celica in darker colours.
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6132.JPG

Eventual car looks way more conventional than several-years-old concept shock. See also BMW 8-series (admittedly less of a gap there but first that came to mind). Seriously will manufacturers take a few more risks instead of dusting everything with the blander brush prior to release? Is it some unwritten rule?

It'll probably be a cool car. But i'm still offended by the MK4 "S" followed by MK3 "UPRA" logo >.>

This will be exactly how the GTR is to the Skylines except it thankfully dropped the name in order to not offend as many people about it not being a true Skyline anymore. Skyline GTRs ended with the R34, Supra ended with the MK4. That's my opinion.

This will be exactly how the GTR is to the Skylines except it thankfully dropped the name in order to not offend as many people about it not being a true Skyline anymore. Skyline GTRs ended with the R34, Supra ended with the MK4. That's my opinion.

Could you elaborate on that, if you don't mind? I can see what you mean with the R35 comparison but even though I dislike the design of this car I can still see it as a Supra. I'd like to hear why you don't see it like that.

@Disco_Volante

Mainly because of the BMW engine. To me, the engine of a car is basically it's heart and soul. If Toyota wants to make a new flagship car, I don't like that they didn't fully make it their car.

Reason why I compare it to the GTR is because the GTR dropped the RB engine in favour of a V6. I don't dislike the changes, but that's exactly the reason why me and many others felt when it came out that this car shouldn't have even been called a R35. It's a GTR, it's a great car, but it never was a true replacement for the Skyline GTR, more like a spinoff, new line of cars.

This to me is exactly the same. Except it kept the name. I don't particularly dislike the car as it is. In fact it might even be great, and that's great! Cause Toyota is so boring nowadays that it's refreshing seeing them make something half decent for once.
And i'm not even asking for a new 2J engine. Just something that Toyota produced 100% in order to be able to proudly say they made it. As it stands, it's a BMW just as much as the GT86 was really a Subaru BRZ that became more popular than it's sibling.

As such, I don't want to like it as a Supra, but as what it really is. Heck, i'd probably have less of an issue if it had been called GT-1, just like the FT-86 concept became the GT-86.

@Disco_Volante

Mainly because of the BMW engine. To me, the engine of a car is basically it's heart and soul. If Toyota wants to make a new flagship car, I don't like that they didn't fully make it their car.

Reason why I compare it to the GTR is because the GTR dropped the RB engine in favour of a V6. I don't dislike the changes, but that's exactly the reason why me and many others felt when it came out that this car shouldn't have even been called a R35. It's a GTR, it's a great car, but it never was a true replacement for the Skyline GTR, more like a spinoff, new line of cars.

This to me is exactly the same. Except it kept the name. I don't particularly dislike the car as it is. In fact it might even be great, and that's great! Cause Toyota is so boring nowadays that it's refreshing seeing them make something half decent for once.
And i'm not even asking for a new 2J engine. Just something that Toyota produced 100% in order to be able to proudly say they made it. As it stands, it's a BMW just as much as the GT86 was really a Subaru BRZ that became more popular than it's sibling.

As such, I don't want to like it as a Supra, but as what it really is. Heck, i'd probably have less of an issue if it had been called GT-1, just like the FT-86 concept became the GT-86.

Oh I didn't think of the engine. I can see why it'd bother people. It's almost bothering me now that you made me realize it:lol:

Do not like the “new” Supra at all. It’s too small. I heard this car shares the same as the New BMW Z4. I guess why the car is smaller than the Mk 4. I also heard that there is a BMW 3.0 inline-6 engine in the car. Seems like it’s a BMW with a Toyota name. I was hoping the car was gonna be closer to the “FT-1” concept car. Very disappointed with this car. Should be the new FT86 instead.

It's not like the BMW engine will suddenly grenade on you, engines outside of Japan nowadays are considerably well-made and sturdy.

I was hoping the car was gonna be closer to the “FT-1” concept car.

....Isn't it based off it though? It's pretty close to the FT-1's design.

Back