Next Mid-Size Bike - Supermoto vs Naked? (vs Sports?)

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Dragonistic
So it's another one of those help member X find a new Y threads. As I only hold a motorcycle license currently and am looking to get my car license this summer I've decided I may wish to change things up fairly soon on 2 wheels.

Currently I own (and love, most of the time) a DRZ400 SM which has been woken up a little coming from my first bike which was a DT125 SM. The DRZ might just be the perfect early bike for my area for commuting and when fun is on the agenda as well. I got it for a bargain, impossible to break, the handling is improbably good and the motor... well that's where things start to go wrong.

Moving from the 125 jumping on the DRZ for the first time was incredible, big single torque and an open exhaust it felt awesome without being intimidating just like you'd want in a first 'proper' bike. 18 months later and on a twisty B road it's still fantastic as you can really use the bike rather than feel like you're barely tapping into it, I love the handling still and the motor is plentiful here but...

I'm afraid that I'm becoming power hungry, though on the twisty B the DRZ still yields massive grins and speed to keep up with the biggest and baddest of the sports bike world due to the confidence it gives me if nothing else, on the open road and motorway I feel like the DRZ simply isn't enough motor for me and simply holds me back from long journeys.

All of that brings me to my decision, do I go for a bigger motard, a naked or a sports bike? Or put another way I've found the following bikes:

Supermoto - KTM SMC 690
Pros: Hooliganism, handling, more of what I love
Cons: Pricey (may have to wait a while), hard to find used, still poor for long distance?

Naked - Yamaha MT-07
Pros: Easy to ride (+torque), price (can get new easily), V-twin torque
Cons: Handling - This is the only major con I can think of, I believe with a nice exhaust I'll enjoy the motor enough but I worry that it won't be as fun on twisties as I found on my full bike test that a lower naked doesn't give me the confidence I need ('Zuki GS500)

Sports - GSXR600/R6
Pros: PPPOOOWWWAAAAA, high speed handling
Cons: Too much powa to be utilised on the road?, too stiff/aggressive for twisty UK roads?

Any thoughts? Are their other bikes I should not ignore? Generally I just don't know what the reality of owning a sports bike or naked is like, the MT-07 in principle seems like a perfect fit so long as in the real world the handling is not too soft/vague as I fear it may seem. As for a sports bike I feel this might just be too much bike that I'll never be able to use fully, I would prefer a slower bike that I can use 99% of over a rocket I can only use 50% of. All of that being said I may fall in love all over again with the DRZ if I get the time to just go out and ride.

It sounds like you want the 690.

I was going suggest an Aprillia SVX 550, but looking online it seems that the KTM would be a better match for you.

I'd test ride all the bikes that you're looking at.

But as you said, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
An R6 will break the speed limit in 1st, and it won't be fun unless you're pushing it, which is pretty freaking fast on an R6.:lol:

That's exactly what I thought a 600 Sports bike would be like :lol:.

The 690 is a better fit than an SVX, simply because I don't want to service the thing every 5 minutes though the SVX is an awesome bike for a quick blast I'm sure. Realistically there's not really any alternatives to the 690, anything smaller 400-600 is a race motard with plates at best and anything else 600+ is generally bloated and not really a motard anymore other than in style.

My worry with the SMC is that it's more of the same, literally more but nonetheless. It will be a blast on a short ride, there's no questioning that, but will I still find myself shying away from getting some real road riding in and exploring the country a bit more?

For now I'm leaning towards the MT-07 because if nothing else it will be something very different and I don't imagine I will hate it and I really want to try out a proper bike rather than a big toy, I feel like at worst it will give me an indication of where my future in biking lies and won't be as costly if I get it wrong. That said I'll still need a test ride first as you suggest.

Check into the FZ-09(possibly MT-09 over there) as well as the Suzuki SV650. I was riding a GSX-R750 and ended up selling it in order to "step down" into the SV. Best choice I've made in order to enjoy my riding. I'm a commuter, and around me the most fun you can get in turns is highly illegal, or catching a green turn arrow through an intersection and almost getting a knee down (:D). I actually get to rip this bike a bit and shift instead of just pinning it and holding on (which is still stupid fun, just not every ride).

Sounds like you do close to the same kind of riding as I do, so I'd advise against a 4 cylinder bike race bike. They make all their power up top, nothing down low at all. I had to get above 6,000 rpm just to get that gixxer to go, it was a dog under there. And 45 was 4,000rpm in 6th gear. Got really old on the daily commute. Riding a V-twin everyday, love it. It's just torque EVERYWHERE!

I've thought about the MT-09, but thought I may prefer the lighter bikes (MT-06) handling though I may try to test one as well.

Moving from the 2 stroke I used to have to the 4 stroke has certainly taught me that in the real world torque is just better. I've written the sports bike fully out of the equation now, perhaps in later life if I start hitting the track.

Back