NFS Shift 2, a 2023 PS3 experience in progress.

• Thread starter LM7325
  • 2 comments
United States
United States
LM7325
I have almost completed Shift 2 on PS3, I felt like writing a little review of the whole experience so far. Let's start with the main issue the PS3 version has, the input lag. With the patch it is much better, but it is still there just a little. Be ready to be disappointed if you try to play without downloading the update. Issue number two, actually worse than the lag to me, is the default controller steering settings. The tutorial really sours the game, you can't keep that GTR on the track with the default setup. The solution means doing research, research on how to play a game you just started, that's not cool. Nevertheless, the solution is simple, just go into game options/controls/sensitivity settings. All you have to do is drop the steering sensitivity down, I like 10 percent, but experiment to see what you like. Everything else is ok, I did drop speed sensitivity down to 75, but it's probably not really needed. Now, finally you can actually play the game.

You may ask, why do this? This game is 12 years old now, what is the point of this? Well, you see this game was a "Moby Dick" of sorts for me. I have been playing all sorts of racing games since I was a kid in the '80s, Pole Position, Rad Racer, Hard Drivin, Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix... you get the point. I also have played Gran Turismo 1-6, to Forza 5-7 and Horizon 1-4, and every Grid game, I have a pretty good insight on what makes a good racing game. Having said all that, that is why I have decided now, in 2023 to finally take on the one that got away from me so to say.

I know that this game is pretty sorted on PC with many mods and handling tweaks, but the PS3 version was where this whole thing began and will be finished by me.

I will make a new post to start the review soon.

Last edited:
The tutorial really sours the game, you can't keep that GTR on the track with the default setup. The solution means doing research, research on how to play a game you just started, that's not cool.
I recently started a playthrough with Shift 2 myself. I had always wanted to try the game but never really had time. I noticed in the tutorials (Suzuka East time trial and race) the handling was poor. When I ended the tutorial and began the first real race of my career, the handling was MUCH better and I had to re-adjust my driving settings again accordingly. I think the downloaded patch for this game skips over the tutorial trial/race, which was why it seems so bad even with a wheel.

I have the Limited Edition for the PS3, but the server no longer works and the three additional cars do not get unlocked. The only DLCs in the PSN store are to unlock everything. I have migrated to the PC version via EA Play and both DLCs (Legends and SpeedHunters) are included, and the graphics are slightly better. So that is the version I will play through. I enjoy the driver EXP gaining aspect of this game, and also Slightly Mad Studios' other works - the Project CARS series.

I just downloaded the super bundle from the PS Store on my old PS3 2 weeks ago. Completely different mechanics from release - it’s great. The downloadable version must be patched. As has been noted, the trial lap is still horrendous, but as soon as I started career mode it was fine. Lots of content and some historic tracks and cars. This game is so much fun. The AI is fast and savage but not rubber banded; you have to really fight and drive well to win. Unlike GT6 which I’ve played for years and love; this game will really match your opponent cars to your own - there are no ‘cheat’ cars that punch above their weight. It’s the only racer that makes me sweat after a hard fought race. This 63 year old is spending far too much time with my old wireless wheel again.

Back