• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 20 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I am sorry I didn't come up with this any sooner. Anyhow, all of you NHL fans are free to talk about the awesome game of hockey with this thread. Can the Tampa Bay Lightning be champions again? Will struggling teams last season turn things around? How will the Seattle Kraken do in their maiden season? Lots of questions, soon will be answered. Welcome to the new season's thread!

If you're looking for a hockey game tonight, look to TNT. They will be showing the Preseason game between the Philadelphia Flyers at the Boston Bruins. The NHL has moved over to ESPN/ABC and TNT after NBC and NBCSN have had a great run at broadcasting NHL games.

My apologies about the coverage of NHL Preseason hockey from this past Wednesday- there were TWO games on that night. It was the first ever telecasts of NHL hockey on TNT. I'd have to guess that TNT will be showing a good deal of hockey in prime time, but I think they'd have to give up that coverage on Thursday nights (and maybe some Tuesday night as well) when the NBA on TNT comes along.

Now about the Seattle Kraken. To me, the Kraken's uniforms look great. You can't scoff at the fierce "S" logo of Seattle. The colors are quite nice also, having the dark blue along with a couple of other blues with hints of red. People may not like the Kraken namesake, but Seattle's new NHL team looks great.

GTPlaneteers, get psyched for tonight! You know why? Because HOCKEY... IS... BACK! The regular season in the quest for Lord Stanley's beautiful cup begins tonight as all 31... uh, now 32 teams compete for the Stanley Cup. Enjoy all of the great action the NHL has to provide this season. These include top shelf goals, great saves, hard hits, and if you're lucky... a good ol' hockey fight. Here is the schedule for tonight:

• PIT Penguins at TB Lightning <<< TB two-time defending Champions
  • VGK Golden Knights at SEA Kraken

The ESPN/ABC networks and TNT(?) will have the NHL coverage in America. I'm sure TSN in Canada will have the Canadian coverage. Get ready for the 2021-2022 season and enjoy the new season!

Later tonight, it is the home debut of the Seattle Kraken this season. Seattle will host the Vancouver Canucks tonight at 10 PM Eastern Time. Have to have that Seattle-Vancouver rivalry. I hope the Kraken can put on a great show in their home opener.

It would be impossible to go a full NHL season undefeated. However, some teams have some very nice records so far this season. Here are the currently undefeated teams heading into today's games:

• Florida (5-0-0)
  • Carolina (4-0-0)
  • Pittsburgh (3-0-0)
  • Washington (3-0-0)
  • St. Louis (4-0-0)
  • Edmonton (5-0-0)

And... here are the teams that have yet to win so far this season:

• Arizona (0-4-1)
  • Chicago (0-5-1)

Now for a few news and notes...

* Bill Guerin, the general manager for the Minnesota Wild, has been accused of a sexual assault cover-up. The Wild are currently 2nd in the Central Division of the Western Conference with a record of 4-1-0 and eight points.

* I learned why Evander Kane of the San José Sharks was levied a 21-game suspension due to COVID-19/Coronavirus protocols. He apparently was suspended for submitting a fake vaccine card.

* The Seattle Kraken held their first regular season home game against the Vancouver Canucks this past Saturday. Sadly, the fans in Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle saw the Kraken lose 4-2. Seattle is currently 1-4-1 and with 3 points, and they are 7th in the Pacific Division. Dead last in the Pacific Division heading into tonight are the Vegas Golden Knights at 1-4-0 and 2 points.

Hope you all are enjoying the 2021-2022 season so far.

This is not a Standings Update, but it is a look at the top teams going into tonight's games. Check it...

--- CURRENT DIVISION LEADERS (as of November 19, 2021) ---
EASTERN, ATLANTIC: Florida (17-12-2, 27 pts.)
EASTERN, Metropolitan: Carolina (15-3-2, 26 pts.)
WESTERN, Central: Minnesota (16-11-5, 22 pts.)
WESTERN, Pacific: Edmonton (16-12-4, 24 pts.)

Among the Original Six teams, Toronto has 12-5-1 record and are 2nd in the Atlantic Division. Detroit used to be bottom-dwellers before they made the playoffs 25 years straight; now, the Red Wings are 4th in the Atlantic Division with a record of 8-9-2 and 18 points. At 8-5-0 and 16 points are the Boston Bruins. Boston is 5th in the Atlantic Division. The Canadiens (or the Habs) are 7th in the Atlantic Division with a record of 4-13-2 and 10 points. The New York Rangers are 10-4-3 with 23 points, good for 3rd in the Metropolitan Divison. And finally, the Chicago Blackhawks have a record of 5-9-2 and 12 points, good for 7th (next-to-last) in the Western Central Division.

Because of a lot of COVID-19/Coronavirus troubles, the Ottawa Senators suspended their operations until about November 20. I hope for the best for everyone within the Senators organization.

I hope you all are enjoying NHL hockey. Enjoy some hockey!

The National Hockey League is still one of the four major American sporting leagues, and it is still relevant today. So let me touch up on how a few teams are doing so far...

* Tampa Bay is 3rd in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference with a record of 15-5-4. The Lightning have 34 points on the season so far.

* The Detroit Red Wings are currently 13-9-3 with 25 games played. They have 29 points on the season. Detroit is currently ranked 4th in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference.

* The Washington Capitals sit at 16-4-6 and have 38 points. They lead the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference.

* The New York Islanders have lost 11 straight games so far. They are dead last (8th) in the Metropolitan Division with a record of 5-10-5 with 15 points. This is the worst record in the Eastern Conference right now.

* Minnesota leads the Central Division of the Western Conference. The Wild's record is 17-6-1, and they have 35 points after having played 24 games.

* kolio's St. Louis Blues have a record of 12-8-4 and 28 points. The Blues are 4th in the Central Division of the Western Conference.

* The Dallas Stars are 13-7-2 on the 2021 NHL season. They have 28 points and are 5th in the Central Division of the Western Conference. They are currently riding a seven-game winning streak.

* Any fans of "Smashville?" Well, the Nashville Predators are 13-10-1 with 27 points. That's good for being 6th in the Central Division of the Western Conference.

* The worst record in all of the NHL goes to the 5-18-2 Arizona Coyotes. They have only 12 points on the season.

* How are the latest team doing? You know, the Seattle Kraken? They're 9-14-2 with 20 points. They are 7th in the Pacific Division of the Western Conference.

And there is your brief look around.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a game tonight, ESPN will show the Minnesota Wild at the Boston Bruins. I haven't seen too many games since NHL coverage moved from NBC/NBCSN to ESPN/ABC/TBS(?)/TNT(?). Wild at Bruins coming up on ESPN at 7 PM Eastern time.

The NHL has been hit hard with a lot of games being postponed because of COVID-19/Coronavirus.

Last edited:
RECENTLY WRAPPED UP...

It was 2-1 as the St. Louis Blues downed the Dallas Stars at home. When the 3rd Period started, Dallas was ahead 1-0. The Blues drew level at 1-1 with a goal at 46.3 seconds left in the game. Then, the Blues cashed in the go-ahead goal on a Power Play with 28.1 left in the game. Tough way to go out for the Stars. However, for St. Louis in their beautiful blue and gold colors, it was a great Sunday of hockey action! I heard the Stars will have 4 back-to-backs within the next 17 days. Ouch. So the Stars are going to get worked over a bit between now and then.

The Nashville Predators will retire Pekka Rinne's No. 35 jersey tonight. It will be the first retired jersey in the franchise history of the Nashville Predators. He was a very solid goalie.

I am sad to not try to update the latest goings on in the NHL as I used to. To make amends, here are some of the teams who will be in this season's Playoffs so far:

--- Eastern Playoff Teams (as of April 11, 2022) ---
  • Florida <<< FLA: first team to clinch a playoff spot this season
  • Carolina
  • Toronto
  • New York Rangers

--- Western Playoff Teams (as of April 11, 2022) ---
* Colorado <<< COL: current best record in the NHL at 52-14-6 and 110 points

No teams have yet clinched anything like Divisions or Conference. The worst record in the league is the Montreal Canadiens with a 20-41 record and 51 points. The worst Western record is with Arizona, who has a 22-45-5 record and 49 points. The new Seattle Kraken are next-to-last in the West with a 23-43-6 record and 52 points.

We should be able to see what other teams will get to get into the playoffs and hopefully get to play for the Stanley Cup. Keep playing hard and winning if your favorite team(s) still have a chance!

Last edited:
Looking for a game tonight? Check this out: we have the Minnesota Wild at the Dallas Stars tonight to be aired on ESPN at 8 PM Eastern. It's the old Minnesota NHL team (the Minnesota Northstars, now the Dallas Stars) hosting Minnesota's current team- the Wild.

The NHL Playoffs begin this Monday. Here's the playoff alignment:

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
  • COL Avalanche vs. NSH Predators
  • MIN Wild vs. STL Blues
  • EDM Oilers vs. LA Kings
  • CGY Flames vs. DAL Stars

--- EASTERN CONFERNCE ---
  • FLA Panthers vs. WAS Capitals
  • TOR Maple Leafs vs. TB Lightning
  • NYR Rangers vs. PIT Penguins
  • CAR Hurricanes vs. BOS Bruins

Congratulations to all teams to advanced to this level! Better luck next season to all who didn't make the Playoffs this season.

Cats game was so good. Haven't been this entertained by sports in a while.

Florida Panthers have been baller all season, Omnis. In one way, it's nice to know two of the best NHL teams are not in a Frost Belt State. Florida and Tampa Bay have been solid.

Half of the Stanley Cup Finals was set recently. The Colorado Avalanche swept the Edmonton Oilers to make it to the Finals. Whom Colorado will meet for Lord Stanley's Cup will be between the New York Rangers and the two-time defending champion Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Stanley Cup Finals are SET! It will be the Colorado Avalanche taking on... the Tampa Bay Lightning! Tampa Bay won their Eastern Conference Finals series against the New York Rangers. They won 2-1 last night to take Game 6 of that series. So now the beautiful Stanley Cup will go to whomever wins the Stanley Cup Finals against Colorado and Tampa Bay. Both teams surely will do Lord Stanley proud.

If you want to discuss and predict... who wins the Championship? Will we be calling the Tampa Bay Lightning the three-time defending NHL Champs, or will the Championship go up a Mile High with the Colorado Avalanche (optional: and in how many games)? Other than that... get psyched for the Stanley Cup Finals!

Well, GTPlaneteers... tonight begins the Stanley Cup Finals. It's the Colorado Avalanche against the two-time defending champion Tampa Bay Lightning. Lord Stanley's beautiful Stanley Cup will go to the best team the NHL this season. WHO is the best team in the NHL this season, though? Well, we'll find out in this best-of-7 series.

Enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals, GTPlanet!

Here are your winners... and the NEW Stanley Cup Champions- the Colorado Avalanche! The Colorado Avalanche won their first championship since 2001 by beating the Tampa Bay Lightning in six games of the Stanley Cup Finals. What most people are talking about, though, is one of the Avalanche players sliding on the ice and scuffing up the bottom end of one side of the Stanley Cup. Still, we have new champions, and they are Miles High of the rest of the NHL.

I really wish I could have made this discussion more active and get more people involved. However, I am still glad you hockey fans got a chance to follow this season of NHL hockey. I (or someone else) will hopefully get to start a thread on the next season of NHL hockey. Until then, thanks for taking part in this thread!

Back