• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 24 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I am sorry I didn't allow for a discussion of the NHL in 2022-2023. I'm offering a thread to discuss this season of NHL hockey. So feel free to contribute!

I planned on discussing the recent retirements of three players. Among them...

• Zdeno Chara
  • P.K. Subban
  • Keith Yandle

I wish these gentlemen the best in their retirement.

NHL Preseason is going on right now. On TNT tonight:

• BOS Bruins at NYR Rangers
  • DAL Stars at COL Avalanche

Enjoy some preseason NHL action if you'll be watching!

I am told the 2022-2023 season begins TODAY! The quest for Lord Stanley's Cup begins tonight as all of the NHL's teams will be looking to hoist that beautiful trophy at season's end.

Enjoy the new season of NHL hockey!

NHL action coming up now! On ESPN tonight:

• TB Lightning at NYR Rangers
  • LV Golden Knights at LA Kings

Enjoy tonight's action!

This isn't a standings update, but it is a look at how teams have fared so far. Here are the current Division leaders in the NHL:

--- CURRENT DIVISION LEADERS (as of: December 7, 2022) ---
  • ATLANTIC leader: Boston (20-3-1, 41 points)
  • METROPOLITAN leader: New Jersey (21-4-1, 43 points)
  • CENTRAL leader: Winnipeg (16-7-1, 33 points)
  • PACIFIC leader: Las Vegas (19-7-1, 39 points)

I am sorry I am not keeping most of these sports threads going. I do hope you hockey fans are enjoying this season thus far.

I want to take some time to acknowledge Alex Ovechkin on passing Gordie Howe for most goals all-time in NHL history. "The Great 8" hit the 800-goal mark earlier this month, becoming the third ever to reach this feat, but he's also the first to score all of those 800+ goals for just one team. This guy is going to be a future Hall of Famer once he hangs up his skates. Now at 802 goals, he'll need 92 goals to have the all-time goal mark. The guy who owns that top spot on the all-time goals list? You might have heard of him- Wayne Gretzky (894 goals). If Ovechkin wants to pass Wayne Gretzky, he's going to have to play for much longer and keep on scoring goals.

All congratulations to Alex Ovechkin regardless! This is no doubt an amazing feat by "The Great 8."

Bobby Hull, one of hockey's all-time greats, has died. He was 84 years old at the time of his passing. This legend did a majority of his damage with the Chicago Blackhawks. My condolences go out to all who known and loved the great Bobby Hull.

Now on to some more lighthearted material. Can you believe there's only one game on tonight? Tonight is the St. Louis Blues at the Winnipeg Jets. You all enjoy that game if you'll be watching or following.

This weekend is the NHL All-Star weekend down in south Florida. Enjoy this weekend's activities!

The Chicago Blackhawks are going to ship off Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers. At 59 games played, Chicago has the second-worst record in the Western Conference and the worst record in the Central Division at 21-33-5 and 47 points. The New York Rangers, meanwhile, are 3rd in the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference, and their record is 34-17-9 with 77 points.

The real team to watch of late has been the Boston Bruins. Boston ballin'. Their record is 46-8-5 with 97 points. Some prediction has the Bruins on pace for about 62 wins. They also have won seven straight games. They play tonight at the Calgary Flames.

I hope you all are enjoying NHL hockey!

Hey, check this out! Coming up in mere moments, the first-ever animated broadcast of a game is tonight. ESPN and the Disney networks will air a 3D animated version of the Washington Capitals at the New York Rangers. The real game will be on ESPN, but the animated game will be on Disney. It is all a part of Disney's Big City Greens.

Enjoy this game and any other NHL action you're into!

[OMISSION] For an idea of this special broadcast, have a look here: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-big-ci...imension-to-rangers-capitals-game/c-342182936 .

Last edited:
I want to take a moment to acknowledge the Boston Bruins on the single-season record for most wins in a regular season. Boston been ballin'. Or... whatever the hockey version of "ballin'" is. Anyhow, Boston is currently (at the time of this post) 63-12-5 with 131 points. They have won six straight games. It would stink hard if the Boston Bruins fail to win the Stanley Cup this season. The Bruins have two more games left this season.

It would be bad if the Bruins failed in the postseason. Kind of like when (I think) Tampa Bay had one of the best records and seemed like favorites to win it all... only to lose in the first round of the NHL Playoffs. So the Bruins have to be title favorites this season.

We'll see how things go when the NHL Playoffs begin. Maybe Boston will hoist Lord Stanley's beautiful Stanley Cup.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the Boston Bruins on the single-season record for most wins in a regular season. Boston been ballin'. Or... whatever the hockey version of "ballin'" is. Anyhow, Boston is currently (at the time of this post) 63-12-5 with 131 points. They have won six straight games. It would stink hard if the Boston Bruins fail to win the Stanley Cup this season. The Bruins have two more games left this season.

It would be bad if the Bruins failed in the postseason. Kind of like when (I think) Tampa Bay had one of the best records and seemed like favorites to win it all... only to lose in the first round of the NHL Playoffs. So the Bruins have to be title favorites this season.

We'll see how things go when the NHL Playoffs begin. Maybe Boston will hoist Lord Stanley's beautiful Stanley Cup.
I hope they don't go too far. There's a long history of teams winning the President's Cup and not winning the Stanley Cup. So as a Rangers fan I hope Boston continues that tradition 😁

The NHL Playoffs begin tonight! Before the puck drops on the 2022-2023 postseason, here is the final regular season standings update. Teams that are in the Playoffs have their name spelled out:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (Final Regular Season Standings) ---
~ATLANTIC~
  • Boston (65-12-5; 135 pts.) <<< Presidents Trophy winners, best record
  • Toronto (50-20-11; 111 pts.)
  • Tampa Bay (46-30-6; 98 pts.)
  • Florida (42-32-8; 92 pts.)
  • BUF (42-33-7; 91 pts.)
  • OTT (39-35-8; 88 pts.)
  • DET (35-37-10; 80 pts.)
  • MON (31-45-6; 68 pts.)
~METROPOLITAN~
  • Carolina (52-21-9; 113 pts.)
  • New Jersey (52-22-8; 112 pts.)
  • New York Rangers (47-22-13; 107 pts.)
  • New York Islanders (42-31-9; 93 pts.)
  • PIT (40-31-11; 91 pts.)
  • WAS (35-37-10; 80 pts.)
  • PHI (31-38-13; 75 pts.)
  • COL (25-48-9; 59 pts.)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (Final Regular Season Standings) ---
~CENTRAL~
  • Colorado (51-24-7; 109 pts.) <<< defending champions
  • Dallas (47-21-14; 108 pts.)
  • Minnesota (46-25-11; 103 pts.)
  • Winnipeg (46-33-3; 95 pts.)
  • NSH (42-32-8; 92 pts.)
  • STL (37-38-7; 81 pts.)
  • ARI (28-40-14; 70 pts.)
  • CHI (26-49-7; 59 pts.)
~PACIFIC~
  • Vegas (51-22-9; 111 pts.)
  • Edmonton (50-23-9; 109 pts.)
  • Los Angeles (47-25-10; 104 pts.)
  • Seattle (46-28-8; 100 pts.)
  • CAL (38-27-17; 93 pts.)
  • VAN (38-37-7; 83 pts.)
  • SJ (22-44-16;60 pts.)
  • ANA (23-47-12; 58 pts.) <<< worst record

The last team to win the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same season is the 2012-2013 Chicago Blackhawks. Boston wants to be the next team to win both the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup. One GTPlaneteer is hoping that doesn't happen, but Boston will hopefully think otherwise.

Enjoy the 2022-2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Our defending Champions and Presidents Trophy winners could be ousted tonight with two Game 7's tonight. The Seattle Kraken could get the biggest win in their history if they send the Colorado Avalanche packing, and the Florida Panthers could 86 the Boston Bruins from the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they win their match. Should be a great night of hockey if you'll be watching. Enjoy tonight's games!

How did the Kraken/Avalanche and Panthers/Bruins series go in their Game 7's? Well, here's an update:

The Seattle Kraken defeated the defending Champion Colorado Avalanche in their very first Playoff series. Wow! The Kraken won 2-1 to send the Avalanche packing.

The Boston Bruins, winners of the 2022-2023 season Presidents Trophy, were bounced from the Stanley Cup Playoffs by the Florida Panthers. The Bruins lost 4-3 in Overtime. Boston went from being title favorites to being one-and-done'd by the Florida Panthers. The Bruins in 2022-2023 had an amazing regular season, setting records for most wins (65) and most points in a single season (135). Now, they're all sent packing. The Florida Panthers, meanwhile, will meet the Toronto Maple Leafs in the next round of the 2022-2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Playoff hockey hits different. The 2012-2013 Chicago Blackhawks remain the last team to win the Presidents Cup and the Stanley Cup in the same season.

The Eastern Conference Final is SET! We got the Carolina Hurricanes meeting the Florida Panthers for the chance to play for the Stanley Cup. So whomever emerges from the 2022-2023 ECF will be from the South.

The Western Conference, meanwhile, is still ongoing. The Vegas Golden Knights are ahead of the Edmonton Oilers in their series 3-2. The Dallas Stars are ahead of the upstart Seattle Kraken 3-2.

Enjoy the rest of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

The Seattle Kraken are DONE. The Dallas Stars advance to the Western Conference Finals of the NHL by taking down the Kraken with a 2-1 victory earlier tonight. The Seattle Kraken are playing in their first-ever playoff series and made a statement by eliminating the defending champion Colorado Avalanche.

Conference Finals for the Stanley Cup Playoffs are set! Here are your matches:

• ECF: CAR Hurricanes vs. FLA Panthers
  • WCF: DAL Stars vs. VGK Golden Knights

Playoff hockey hits different.

Last edited:
FYI, Florida is really good at dealing with Hurricanes.

I see what you did there, Omnis. Cheers to the Florida Panthers! They have a chance to win the beautiful Stanley Cup. They'll get either the Vegas Golden Knights or the Dallas Stars for the Stanley Cup Finals (VGK leads series 3-0). I'm sure the Lightning are sad seeing that the Panthers are the better Florida NHL team, at least this season.

Well, we're going to have a new Stanley Cup winner. We have two Winter Wonderlands vying for the Stanley Cup. That is... if you consider Miami and Las Vegas as Winter Wonderlands (it has snowed in both places before). That's right. Either Omnis' Florida Panthers or the Vegas Golden Knights will hoist Lord Stanley's beautiful cup.

Tell it GTPlanet- who wins the Stanley Cup and (optional) in how many games?

Lord Stanley will know who will hoist his beautiful trophy next after this season's Stanley Cup Finals! We have the Florida Panthers matching up against the Vegas Golden Knights in the best-of-7 to declare this season's Champions. Either of these two teams will win their first Stanley Cup in either franchise's history. All you have to do is win four more games. Will it be FLA or VGK who hoists the Stanley Cup? Find out all series long! The Stanley Cup Finals begin TONIGHT!

Enjoy the 2022-2023 Stanley Cup Finals, GTPlanet!

Last edited:
Tonight could be the final night of the 2022-2023 NHL season if the Vegas Golden Knights defeats the Florida Panthers tonight in Las Vegas. Can the Golden Knights do what they couldn't do in their maiden season, or will Florida bring the Stanley Cup Finals back to the Miami area? We shall see tonight. NHL Playoffs hit different from most other postseason action in other sports, so this could be an unpredictable series.

Enjoy tonight's action; and if VGK wins tonight, congratulations to the Vegas Golden Knights on winning the Stanley Cup!

That was totally embarrassing. Whole series was a joke. How the hell did this team beat Boston?

Back