NHL's new scheduling system

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
What are all of your thoughts on this "new scheduling system" the NHL has adopted. I never really thought much of it at first but now as teams are getting 25 games or so into the season I am realizing how much it really will affect standings and the playoffs. There are many situations where a team will go the entire season without playing a few of the opposing conference teams wich can set up a huge upset in the Finals giving that those teams may not have ever had the chance to play each other.

I have found also that some teams have a whole lot easier schedule than other teams being that they are playing alot of bottom ranked teams 5+ times in the season. This can lead to a lop sided mix of playoff teams.

I am against this new schedule and would like the old back.

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure what the "new scheduling system" is. Unfortunately, I haven't had time as much as I'd like to watch hockey but I've always felt that the Western Conference namely the Pacific has always had it easy. So, it's kind of been lopsided a bit anyway. Can you explain what this new sytem is? Thanks

The same thing happened to baseball a few years ago, and I think it's a good thing. More intra-divisional games means that the division leaders will have to earn it by beating other teams in their division. It also means more rivalry games. I'd rather see Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton/Colorado face off than Calgary/New Jersey/Florida/Carolina...you get the point.

Oh yeah, GO FLAMES! :)

VIPFREAK
I'm not sure what the "new scheduling system" is.
Typically, the NHL used to have a very simple way of its schedule. Each team played each team at least one time. Than you would see a team play each other inter-conference 2-3 times. You would rarely see two teams play each other in a series. It kept every game different and more spread out.

Now with the new system, more like MLB, a team can go the entire season without playing a team from the opposing conference. The Red Wings for example, only play an Eastern Conference team 10 times out of their 82 game schedule. The rest is all West teams. Some teams they will play 5-6 times, sometimes 3 games in one week in a row against that team. More importantly, they left out the idea of the "Original Six" matchups. The Wings will not play Toronto, Montreal the entire season, leaving out some of the oldest known matchups in the NHL.

I use the Wings as my example because I know their schedule being as they are my hometown team, but this same concept is present for every team in the NHL this season.

That's true. They could have included more all-Canada matchups or original six matchups, regardless of conference.

Back