Night Watch

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zardoz
  • 8 comments
  • 643 views
Messages
2,208
It's a Russian horror movie. Looks kind of interesting:

Night Watch

Web site

Thing is, it appears to be yet another epic-battle-between-good-and-evil-that's-been-going-on-for-thousands-of-years-but-now-it's-really-going-to-get-ugly flicks. Geez, how many more of those do we need?
 
Zardoz
It's a Russian horror movie. Looks kind of interesting:

Night Watch

Web site

Thing is, it appears to be yet another epic-battle-between-good-and-evil-that's-been-going-on-for-thousands-of-years-but-now-it's-really-going-to-get-ugly flicks. Geez, how many more of those do we need?


Yes ive already seen it, infact i saw it last year, very good film IMO had all the style and a good story to boot, not too bad acting and the directing and editing were top notch too. out on DVD soon :) Due for release on 24/04/2006

LINK
 
Darn, I thought you created a thread about that Ewan McGregor thriller I really like.

I checked out the trailer. Scared me a little, but looks very nice and the special effects looks top notch. I haven't seen many Russian films, so I don't know much about their 'movie' industry, but I hope they do a good job. It's a trilogy, so I might wait for the whole trilogy to come out on DVD to watch it. :D
 
Well, I guess I'll have to see this one. The reviews make it sound pretty intriguing:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/night_watch/

Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times doesn't usually have nice things to say about a movie like this, so if even he grudgingly admits to liking it, I'd say it's probably pretty good. I had no idea it was the highest-grossing film of all time in Russia:

_______________________________

'Night Watch'

The most successful film in its homeland, Russia's "Night" gives the dark fantasy genre new life.

By Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

"As long as humanity has existed," the somber voice intones, "there have been Others among us: witches, sorcerers, shape-shifters." And for as long as the movies have existed, they have cashed in on human curiosity about just what those Others might be up to.

"Night Watch," however, does the familiar a little differently. Think of it as a popcorn movie with a vodka chaser. A really strong vodka chaser.

In its Russian homeland, "Night Watch" has been nothing less than a phenomenon. It is the highest-grossing film ever in that country, taking in more money in three weeks than the "Lord of the Rings" finale earned in two months, and its just-released sequel, "Day Watch," the second film of a projected trilogy, is poised to earn even more.

The secret behind this success is the way "Night Watch" director Timur Bekmambetov has combined two things that never connected before. He's taken a glossy Hollywood-type fantasy thriller about the battle between supernatural forces of good and evil right here on planet Earth and infused it with a homegrown, distinctively Russian soul.

That means a movie full of characters, including protagonist Anton Gorodetsky (Russian heartthrob Konstantin Khabensky), who specializes in morose, dejected looks. It means individuals who think nothing of suddenly breaking into mournful dirges such as "love still lives in my wounded heart." It means a despondent world view that believes "it is easier for men to destroy the light within them than to resist the darkness."

But if this sounds like the recipe for a dispiriting movie, "Night Watch" is anything but. The act of Russianizing traditionally Hollywood material has brought a nice freshness to a tired genre, making the film feel less formulaic than usual.

Also helping is filmmaker Bekmambetov's commercial and video background. Working from a popular novel by Sergei Lukyanenko, the director has used quick-cutting, propulsive music and colorful locales to invigorate "Night Watch" with an unmistakable and quite welcome visceral energy.

What Bekmambetov doesn't do, and this is something of a relief, is whiplash you with fear. The film's fright moments are mild by Hollywood's dubious standards, and the blood and guts, though present, are similarly not as voluminous as they might be. There's something pleasantly old-fashioned and almost corny about some of "Night Watch's" situations, and its sense of atmospheric strangeness, the ability to create an unseen world that is parallel to our own, adds to this.

Much of "Night Watch's" violence comes in a prologue, set, at least in the Russian version, specifically in 1342, when a bloody battle between the supernatural forces of good and evil takes place on one very narrow bridge.

The battle is so horrific that both sides agree on a truce. No Other can be forced to turn to either good or evil, with the Night Watch keeping an eye on the dark side and the Day Watch eyeballing the light. For hundreds of years now, everyone has been maintaining the equilibrium and marking time, waiting for the arrival of the prophesized Great Other, whose choice for good or evil "will change the balance forever."

Enter Anton, at first in yet another prologue, this one set in 1992, when he visits a witch to see if she can force his girlfriend to return to him. This action has all kinds of consequences, one of which is Anton's realization that he too is an Other.

Cut to present-day Moscow, where Anton works for the Night Watch and, armed largely with a flashlight with a special bulb, protects civilians from marauding vampires. Aided by his partner, Olga, a woman who has spent 60 years as a stuffed owl (don't ask, because the film won't tell you), he is tasked with guarding a 12-year-old boy named Yegor, who seems to be in special danger.

Also in danger is the entire city of Moscow. A mythological woman called the Cursed Virgin has reappeared, creating a terrifying vortex of abysmal luck that just might herald a massive bloodbath unless the Night Watch can correct the situation. As if they didn't already have enough to do.

If this doesn't seem to make much sense, rest assured that seeing the film does not make anything any clearer. To appreciate "Night Watch," you have to accept it as one of those chaotic cartoon movies that refuse to completely add up. Its derivative plot may seem silly to us, but its characters take it completely seriously. Their belief, it turns out, makes all the difference in the world.
 
a6m5
Darn, I thought you created a thread about that Ewan McGregor thriller I really like.

That is exactly what I was thinking...

I'll have to check this out... Could be good... Could be bad...





;)
 
"Night watch" ("Lord of the Rings" meets "Prophecy") is in more theaters now. Did anyone see it? The movie been out on DVD for some time, but since Fox bought all American distribution rights, they have mandated to stop making NTSC formatted dvds of it. The disk has been slowly disappearing from even Russian stores in America. And Fox kept postponing the release until recent limited release, while sequel "Day Watch" is already out in Russia on pal dvd (without subs only). Both installments beat American movies in Russia. And the studio is insisting on filming the 3rd part in English. Ain't US movie studios wonderful
 
Heh - and I thought you ment this:

0385602642.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg


A Discworld book, of which I am a fan.

Still, might have a look at it nevertheless, if it happens to be on somewhere nearby.
 
Roo
Heh - and I thought you ment this:

0385602642.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg


A Discworld book, of which I am a fan.

Still, might have a look at it nevertheless, if it happens to be on somewhere nearby.

thats a great book roo. my frave is Mort tho. goto love death.
 
This movie was available for rent on DVD(at least in the States), and I thought it was a good one. Two things I thought this movie had going were:

1) Some characters. - While there were few actors/characters that were just horrific(as in bad), some of the characters, especially the main, were "Bruce Willis in this prime" good. 👍 The kid in the film was also very impressive I thought.

2)SFX - Special effects were just amazing. 👍👍 While you can definitely see where it's not up to par with the Hollywood production, they more than make up for it, they clearly beat the most by creativeness and style. Very refreshing and new, this movie is an eye-candy.

While it does have its' problems(I hated the editing), I'd give it a "B".
 
Back