Nikon Coolpix S9700 locked in military time.

DaveTheStalker

Vinyl Addict
Premium
United States
Michigan
DaveTheStalker
Is anyone familiar with the Nikon Coolpix S9700? A buddy of mine just got one for his job, geotagging is required. In the morning, he synced it to the satellite and accidentally had it in military time. Now he cannot get it out of military time. He's called Nikon, a CSR walked him through a factory reset. However, it wasn't a FULL reset. It reset everything except the time format!

Is there a button that can be pressed to do a complete reset? I doubt removing the battery for a few hours will reset it. Nikon says it doesn't have an internal battery.

I've checked Nikon forums and don't see anything about this. I've searched for a firmware update, results are vague.

Any suggestions, besides "return it"?

Last edited:
I downloaded the S9700 owner's manual and found no info on a 12/24 setting...maybe switching date (mm/did/yyyy) formats may reset the time format ? The manual also states there IS a internal backup battery for the clock that is kept charged by the main battery or the AC adaptor. Since he just got it is he sure it was in the 12 hour format and just never noticed until after the sync ?

I actually prefer the 24 hour time and wouldn't consider returning a camera over that.

Really weird development; the metadata has the time as standard am/pm, but the OSD shows military and cannot be changed.

Latest Posts

Back