Nintendo Joining Smartphone / App Market

• Thread starter Robin
  • 18 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
i4u.com
Nintendo dropped a big bomb last week with the announcement to open up for iPhone and other smartphones.

The stock of the struggling video game pioneer soared last week as much as 36% after a simple announcement. Nintendo announced to adjust to the development of smartphone and tablets as the primary gaming platform. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong can finally be played by fans on the iPhone and other smart devices this fall.

While the market seems to be initially believing in the decision of Nintendo to enter the smart devices platform there are voices of concern that Nintendo will not be able to compete with the current mobile game bestsellers like Candy Crush and Game of War.

Here is why Nintendo will succeed and make a dramatic return. The so called 'Nintendo Generation' and their children will be all over Nintendo smartphone games. Parents who are born in the 80s and 90s have been addicted to Nintendo games. Today they will for the most part not own a Nintendo 3DS. Their kids might, but as with my kids they mostly play on the iPhone and iPad.

The interesting thing is that Nintendo's characters have an intense attraction for kids even today. I can see that every weekend in my home. My 6-year-old loves to play the Super Mario Bros. game on an old Wii. The one hour of Super Mario playing is much more engaging than any of the games he plays on the iPhone including all Lego franchises like Ninja Go and Lego Chima. We actually play the game together. I am a bit older than the Nintendo Generation, but Super Mario Bros. is also fun and challenging for adults.

My son has a high churn rate on games he plays on the iPhone that is why I keep for the most part to free games. Only when I see some long term value I allow an in-App purchase of another level.

Knowing how much he likes Mario, I will be rather easily pushing into a subscription for the announced Nintendo multi-device membership service. A membership service is a huge hurdle for me and it will be for others, but the popularity and the affinity of kids with Nintendo's characters is going to push parents over the edge.

The planned online service will also include existing Nintendo devices in your household. The Nintendo smartphone games will be newly developed and are not ports of existing Wii U or 3DS games. Which likely means that owners of current Nintendo games will not get discounts. The pricing model for the Nintendo mobile games will be important. The company could have a lot of success with higher game prices and avoiding the in-app purchase model that is very problematic for parents and their small kids.

I would consider paying up to $20 for an reasonable in-depth Super Mario game for the iPhone. The launch of the Nintendo smartphone games will come this fall.

So Nintendo has announced they are going into the mobile games market and will sell Nintendo games on the Andriod iOS stores. This could be hugely lucrative seeing the boom in the smartphone market but it could be the beginning of the end of Nintendo as a hardware developer and they would end up turning into Sega. Arguably like Sega their characters are their greatest asset and it makes sense to have those characters multi platform.

...it could be the beginning of the end of Nintendo as a hardware developer and they would end up turning into Sega.
As I understand it, Iwata specifically mentioned the "NX" project to pre-emptively deny this. It's unlikely Nintendo will develop any "real" games for mobile, either.

It's unlikely Nintendo will develop any "real" games for mobile, either.
Agreed, especially on that part. I'm obviously just guessing here, but I'd say they're just going to port a huge chunk of their mobile games over.

I wish people stop kicking Sega. They are not a failed company just because they don't mak a consoles anymore Still around ain't they?. I am Suprised at Nintendo as they point blank refused mobile support. i would totally agree putting Nintendo games on mobiles would be a disaster even though Nintendos controllers haven't been any better than touch screen since the super Nintendo. But £20 price tags for mobile games just screams piracy. As this isn't a Nintendo platform they have to rely on Apple & android for security and i know for a fact mobiles is a very crackable platform with rooting and cydia. If I was Nintendo make a supernes 2 with normal controllers and power equal or slightly better than current gen Give it a retro styled case Support 3rd party developers. And maybe they can regain some greatness.

I am not surprised that no original games will be coming to smart phone, so those whole announcement is pretty null and void to me.

...putting Nintendo games on mobiles would be a disaster even though Nintendos controllers haven't been any better than touch screen since the super Nintendo.
What? :lol:

Even Nintendo's (resistive) touchscreens are superior to mobile (capacitive) touchscreens, not to mention the buttons and things you need to play most "real" games. I tried putting emulators on an iPod Touch once -- capacitive touchscreens are junk for games like Super Mario Bros.

I still doubt they'll release anything on mobile other than casual mobile-style games like Pokémon Shuffle, or companion apps for their own hardware/services.

What? :lol:

Even Nintendo's (resistive) touchscreens are superior to mobile (capacitive) touchscreens, not to mention the buttons and things you need to play most "real" games. I tried putting emulators on an iPod Touch once -- capacitive touchscreens are junk for games like Super Mario Bros.

I still doubt they'll release anything on mobile other than casual mobile-style games like Pokémon Shuffle, or companion apps for their own hardware/services.

Their controllers as in N64 wii Gamecube and the wiiu, all sucked. and putting games on a mobile touchscreen makes it even worse. Nintendo = gimmiky controls

I wish people stop kicking Sega. They are not a failed company just because they don't mak a consoles anymore Still around ain't they?
Sega has been floundering and hemorrhaging money almost nonstop for the past 20 years, with years of corporate infighting and internal jockeying that has basically sabotaged any real attempt to turn the tide. The only reason they are still around is because of some very clever business dealings since then and almost constant downsizing for the past 10.

But £20 price tags for mobile games just screams piracy.
This is the exact attitude that makes the chance of any real games coming to mobile, be it from Nintendo or not, pretty much impossible.

I wondered for some time why Nintendo wouldn't sell their idle library of million games for phones, but perhaps they saw mobile phones as the competitor to their Gameboy, or DS os whatever they are called these days. Personally, I think it's a no-brainer to join them rather than fight an unstoppable trend like game apps(are they apps? I don't even know).

Sega has been floundering and hemorrhaging money almost nonstop for the past 20 years, with years of corporate infighting and internal jockeying that has basically sabotaged any real attempt to turn the tide. The only reason they are still around is because of some very clever business dealings since then and almost constant downsizing for the past 10.

This is the exact attitude that makes the chance of any real games coming to mobile, be it from Nintendo or not, pretty much impossible.

That's not my attitude that's the attitude of mobile gamers, go look into developers forum's most have switched to free play with in app purchases and ad's because either low sales or piracy. the sega thing i wont even bother replying to as their business is bigger than just games.

Their controllers as in N64 wii Gamecube and the wiiu, all sucked. and putting games on a mobile touchscreen makes it even worse. Nintendo = gimmiky controls
Opinions...but I don't see how that equates to Nintendo's controllers (with buttons and all) being no better for games than a phone's touchscreen. Like I said, it's clumsy to play a traditional game like Super Mario Bros. with the button overlay function mobile games use.

Their controllers as in N64 wii Gamecube and the wiiu, all sucked.

Yeah, okay. :lol: This would like a word with you:

Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

Having an Xbox One and PS4 in the household allows me to share my opinion that this controller is my absolute favorite this generation. It just beats out the Xbox One controller(with PS4 a distant third) purely based on complete usability and sturdiness. Aside from dodgy stick placement this guy should automatically win for having 80+ hour battery life. Got it in June, and I've charged it about 7 or 8 times and accumulated over 500 hours playtime with it.

Also, if you'd like me to continue to bust the gimmick myth, I certainly can, since the Wii Pro Controller was also an absolute beast.

Regarding Nintendo going mobile, I made my thoughts known in the Wii U thread. This is a natural step toward getting some cash for Nintendo, it isn't a push toward doing a SEGA(who make utterly fantastic ports for iOS, and in general, really judging on their 3D classics collection). Don't expect to see any ports of existing titles in iOS or Android stores anytime soon. Iwata said himself that the main motivation behind signing with DeNA was to utilize companion games for the real games on real consoles. It's a great idea and who knows how it will go. This is also Nintendo beginning to try and take an online infrastructure seriously too, the diagram they showed off seems to highlight a unification across all systems:

ninfeat.jpg

This is the kind of thinking Nintendo should have done a good few years ago, but it shows that NX might be a lot more 'hardcore' than most would think. I'm not sure what hardcore means exactly, but the main complaint about Nintendo seems to be that they aren't hardcore enough these days. :lol:

While some might like to think that Nintendo might completely stop making consoles, I wouldn't think that anytime soon. Despite the Wii U's commercial struggles, I'd argue that it's game library trumps that of the Gamecube and Wii put together(take off those nostalgia goggles). Sure, there are some dry periods with no games because the Wii U doesn't have Brown and Bloom FPS 17 or such like, but in those occasions I personally just choose from the ridiculously large 3DS library of games or play my PS4.

The Wii U is a great companion console at this point, all Nintendo need to do is get their act together and make up with EA, Ubisoft, whoever and try and make game development a bit easier for those not totally affiliated with them.

It all comes down to taste though, I understand that people might bore of the same characters being used over and over again. The problem is I haven't seen anything 'new' enough on my PS4 to justify this way of thinking, I had heard all about how good Tomb Raider was for it's story and characters and yet, I was totally miffed(and frequently 🤬 off) by Lara and her annoying pals. It just felt like a totally lifeless experience, with average voice acting to boot. The Order 1886 was fantastic in it's setting and a few of it's characters were decent but it still fell for the perils of Hollywood B-movie cliches and boring, predictable twists.

Everyone is individual though, and at the end of the day for me, game-play will always overcome anything else. So, in that case excuse my complete nullification of the point regarding people wanting 'new' experiences.

The sooner we get more game directors like Hideo Kojima, Hideki Kamiya and Shinguru Miyamoto the better.

This is the kind of thinking Nintendo should have done a good few years ago, but it shows that NX might be a lot more 'hardcore' than most would think. I'm not sure what hardcore means exactly, but the main complaint about Nintendo seems to be that they aren't hardcore enough these days. :lol:
Nintendo has absolutely needed a shift in thinking, though I see it less as "getting with the times" and more a matter of taking steps to better leverage their considerable talent for software development. Just a couple years ago it seemed unthinkable for Nintendo to break out of their traditional ways, so an announcement as "controversial" as this is exciting, even if mobile/smartphone stuff doesn't apply to me in the slightest, and even if this plan doesn't pan out to anything worthwhile.

I do think Nintendo is wise to not jump on every bandwagon, but it's also good for them to loosen up a bit and demonstrate some flexibility.
While some might like to think that Nintendo might completely stop making consoles, I wouldn't think that anytime soon. Despite the Wii U's commercial struggles, I'd argue that it's game library trumps that of the Gamecube and Wii put together(take off those nostalgia goggles). Sure, there are some dry periods with no games because the Wii U doesn't have Brown and Bloom FPS 17 or such like, but in those occasions I personally just choose from the ridiculously large 3DS library of games or play my PS4.
Agreed. To me, Nintendo seems healthier than ever. I don't miss publishers like EA, Ubisoft, or Activision when the eShop continues to collect indie games that align more closely to my tastes in the first place. I love my 2D platformers.

Frankly, I'd count on Microsoft to bow out of the console business before Nintendo ever does. I know not everyone is aware of just how secure Nintendo is.

I tried putting emulators on an iPod Touch once -- capacitive touchscreens are junk for games like Super Mario Bros.

Playing any not made for touchscreen games on a touchcscreen suck. It's pretty much ruined the whole portable gaming market because all the decent games are on mobile yet mobiles are the worst devices for playing them! Phone games were better when they had keypads.

Playing any not made for touchscreen games on a touchcscreen suck. It's pretty much ruined the whole portable gaming market because all the decent games are on mobile yet mobiles are the worst devices for playing them! Phone games were better when they had keypads.
In what aspect(s) do you mean? Not to debate it, I'm just curious. :) I don't have a smartphone -- my current flip phone just has the mobile version of Final Fantasy for a time-waster.

In what aspect(s) do you mean? Not to debate it, I'm just curious. :) I don't have a smartphone -- my current flip phone just has the mobile version of Final Fantasy for a time-waster.

What I mean is most of the industries effort is being put into mobile games because that is where the boom is, they are coming up with innovative concepts which are then held back or even ruined but the limitations of a touch interface. So decent games ruined by the devices they are on.

This post explains why I doubt Nintendo would ever make any of their full titles on mobile. It's just too niche, I can't imagine sitting for hours at a time playing anything on a phone whereas I racked up 5 hours playing Fire Emblem yesterday.
What I mean is most of the industries effort is being put into mobile games because that is where the boom is, they are coming up with innovative concepts which are then held back or even ruined but the limitations of a touch interface. So decent games ruined by the devices they are on.

Back