Nismo's 1995 Nissan Pulsar VZ-R dirt track machine!

• Thread starter Nismonath5
  • 0 comments

Nismonath5

Premium
New Zealand
South Auckland, New Zealand
Nismonath5
This is my first competitive racecar, I bought it for $2,000 back in late 2015, and what a weapon it is!
2016 - 1.jpg

It started life as a lower spec N15 Pulsar, but the guy I bought it off swapped the motor for that of the VZ-R spec, an SR16 NEO VVL. He works at a Subaru wreckers, so some smaller components like the fuel pump and injectors are Subaru. ECU upgrades, a racing intake and running on 100 octane avgas, she pumps out 230bhp and redlines at 8500rpm. It is a 5 speed manual with a locked diff (replaced with an LSD halfway through the season), and due to having no muffler or catalytic converter, it's LOUD. From 6 feet away, at 3000rpm, it recorded 85 decibels on the sound level meter, so when racing, it's probably in excess of 100 decibels.
2016 - 1 (2).jpg

Inside, it's been completely stripped of anything unneccesary. Sound insulation, rear seats, doors replaced with lightweight sheet steel, everything that can't help the car go faster. All this weight loss means it tips the scales at under 1000kgs, my guess would be 980kgs, though this number's never been officially verified. The tyres are standard road tyres, although a set of rally tyres are always on hand if the track is deemed too rough or slippery.
2015 - 1.jpg

It's registered to Waiuku Dirt Track Club, and I raced it this year in the Juniors division, going up against cars like a Honda Civic EG, Subaru Legacy 2.0T and mid 80's Toyota Corolla. Though the Pulsar never won a race (I won three races in a loaner car one meeting when the Pulsar had gearbox issues), I won a bunch of 3rd's, and overall won 3rd place in the points. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it next season, the motor and box might get put into a fresher, straighter body and put on a sealed circuit!
Pulsar.JPG

Thanks to The Bodyshop Otahuhu for sponsoring me through this season! If you want to keep up with the happenings of this little hot hatch and my other racing activities including pics, videos and test days, you can follow this collection on Goolge+! https://plus.google.com/u/1/collection/o2Lpv

Back