Nissan Concept 20-23 - (Electric Hot Hatch)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Nissan Concept 20-23

1695671123759.png

1695671129052.png

1695671134512.png

1695671149691.png

Nissan has unveiled a new all-electric concept car to celebrate Nissan Design Europe's 20th anniversary in London.

Dubbed Concept 20-23, the design study envisions a sporty urban electric car that takes inspiration from Nissan's participation in Formula E, as well as online simulator racing. It also pays tribute to the brand's heritage of bold hatchbacks.

The name of the concept reflects 20 years of Nissan Design Europe (NDE) being located in the heart of London, as well as Nissan's traditional number 23 (ni san) and the current year.

The Nissan Concept 20-23 was designed at NDE by a team including some of the studio's younger members. The brief was simple: to design a car – with no constraints – that they would like to drive on the streets of London.

"...takes inspiration from Nissan's participation in Formula E, as well as online simulator racing. It also pays tribute to the brand's heritage of bold hatchbacks."
What? Ok, the Pulsar GTI-R. What other bold hatchbacks has Nissan done? The Pao?

Ha, not sure. The only other two cars I can think of are the Juke R (if you consider it as a hatch and not a crossover) and the Sport Concept

1695676938242.png

1695676954370.png

1695676973110.png

EDIT:

Given that they're located in Europe and London, perhaps they also mean the Micra. Which sort of has a bold design

1695677082652.png

Last edited:
I mean I'm not knocking Nissan (not here anyways, see the Z thread :lol:) but I'm genuinely baffled by this supposed hatchback heritage. Nissan is like the only Japanese manufacturer to not have a substantial amount of memorable hatchbacks in their back portfolio. And no, I don't think the Juke counts. :lol:

Pike Cars.

nissan-pike-cars-pao-advertisement-19tdigbpace101-3000x1250.jpg.ximg.l_12_h.smart.jpg

Be-1, Pao, Figaro, S-Cargo.

Yeah and two of these are hatches, and one of them I already mentioned.

Last edited:
two of these are hatches
I assume that part of the Nissan statement is just dumb marketing speak. Any time I hear "hatchback" I assume it means "tiny car", most of which are hatchbacks or based on a hatchback. Like the Figaro, it's literally on a hatchback platform, it's just a dumber version.

They did make a cool Pulsar/Sunny in the late 90s with a VVT SR20DE that almost gave the DC2 Type-R a run for its money. I believe @Nismonath5 has one.
"Has ONE. Individual. Yes, that's true..."
Double Take Idk GIF by Laff

What? Ok, the Pulsar GTI-R. What other bold hatchbacks has Nissan done? The Pao?
The late 90's N15 shape Nissan Pulsar had a VZ-R model which was targeted directly at taking on the Type R Hondas, specifically the EK9.

FB_IMG_1663471296733.jpg

The SR16 VE VVL was, at the time, the most powerful naturally aspirated 1.6 4 cylinder you could buy (170bhp in regular trim, 190bhp if you have an N1) A common means of cranking everything to 11 is to take the SR16 VE head and mount it onto an SR20 DE block, essentially frankenstein-ing yourself a 2.0L VVL SR motor.

A rarer but actually less powerful model of the N15 is the Autech. They only made 576 of them, and they all started off as GTi Pulsars, got taken to Autech, 2.0L converted* and feature unique high compression pistons, valve work and a few other trinkets, odds and ends to crank it to around 185bhp. They also feature this very late 90's style body kit, which is sought after by all N15 fans. (Pic taken off Google cos I only have one Autech with the complete body kit, and it's in restoration condition)

*Note that because they all start off as 1.8 GTi models, the vehicle's tags state them as SR18, despite having the aforementioned 2.0L conversion. This is your sign it's a genuine Autech, not a copycat.

10840-1997-Nissan-Pulsar.jpg

Funnily enough, the whole reason I logged onto GTP today was to share some videos from me taking my 2.0L VVL Pulsar down the drag strip, so I may as well share it here too! Excuse my inexperience, this was my second time ever going down the strip. With better reaction times and shifts there's much more pace in the old girl, still did a 15.6 standing 1/4 mile!

They also did the March (Micra) Super Turbo in the 80s as well. While it wasn't technically the first production car with a twin charged engine (the Delta S4 takes that crown), it was the first that was mass produced, unlike the Lancia. I suppose that counts for something?

Back