Nissan GT-R Tokyo Central Time Attack Challenge

Philippines
Laguna
Alpha_Cipher1
It was 2016, I was 15 years old. I got wind of the news that GT Academy is coming to my country and that they are going give us a chance to become a real race car driver.
FB_IMG_1532153476510.jpg
(Not sure why they were showing GT6, but what we played was an early beta version of GTS)
I wasn't legal, but I wanted to try it out anyway. I remember my dad calling it "a benchmark on how you stack up against others". And surprisingly, my time of a 1:19.9xx was enough to propel me somewhere in the Top 10 for that specific GT Academy location. (I never got to confirm where I actually was in the leaderboards, as well as the T-shirt consolation prize due to some personal issues. I also had a picture of my lap times on my broken phone, but I don't have it now because, well, broken phone)

Anyway, some days rolled by and then Nissan Philippines posted the best times across all of the participating malls
FB_IMG_1532153432584.jpg

My big ego at the time (and maybe even now, else this post wouldn't exist) can't accept that I'm a whole 5 seconds slower than first, so that brings us to our challenge! :)

The Challenge
I want you (if you're willing) to post the best time you can muster in a Nissan GT-R Premium Edition '17 around Tokyo Central Outer Loop.

Rules and Regulations
  • The Nissan GT-R must be fully stock
  • Manual, no assists aside from ABS Default. ABS Weak or Off is not allowed either
On my final attempt the mall had a brownout for 5 minutes. What happened was I was instructed to stay in the seat and just do another attempt instead. I don't exactly remember them cruising through the menus and all the stuff, but they did double-check the GT-R as well as the tires and assists; that's why I know
  • The tires should be Racing Softs
  • Wall riding is allowed. However, please indicate if you did wall ride, since I will put the times in a separate leaderboard from a clean lap
  • That said, penalties will be off regardless if you plan on doing a clean lap or a wall ride lap
  • The original tryouts had 5 attempts, 5 laps each per day. But let's be easy on ourselves. There will be no limit on how many laps, restarts, or attempts to post a lap
  • You may not adjust Brake Balance through the MFD. Keep it with the map on display
  • Proof isn't exactly required, but it is highly encouraged
  • Time of Day is up to you, as long as it is not at night
That's about all of it for the challenge! Good luck and most importantly, enjoy :)

Last edited:
Well, to be fair I don't know if they were actually riding the wall. It's just a hunch, a very selfish hunch. That's partly why I posted this to see if someone can go 1:14 cleanly, or if it's possible only by wall riding

But yeah I don't remember having any penalties at all. I crashed into the wall a lot during my first attempt; it gave me no penalties

PD allowed *wall riding?:yuck:

If your leader board is full of people doing it, it's shameful they didn't increase the wall friction or penalise.

1) From PD side i believe they are not allowed that.
2) Back then in 2016 GT Sport is not even released, also there is no penalty system as they are using the time trial mode. (Also keep in mind they are using their alpha or beta version which I believe they may not implementing invalid lap system back then)
3) The event is run by event organizer's staff, not PD person. Do EO staff even know what ABS, TCS, wallriding? They only tasked to count the lap times.

And yes it is shameful that in my country there is also wallriding.

You'll ride the outer walls of the circuit to retain as much speed as you can. If you hit the wall at an acute enough angle the speed you'll lose is less than if you took the corner normally

You didn't specify which GT-R '17 to use and since there are two (GT-R Premium edition '17 & GT-R NISMO '17), I tried both. Found the Premium edition to be faster as it is a little more predictable. The NISMO may have a little better acceleration, but tends to understeer a bit more on corner entry. These are meant to be clean laps but I may have unintentionally clipped an apex. The racing soft tires tend to grab quicker than I am use to and causes me to clip the inside wall.

GT-R Premium edition '17 1:18.930
GT-R NISMO '17 1:19.666

You didn't specify which GT-R '17 to use and since there are two (GT-R Premium edition '17 & GT-R NISMO '17), I tried both. Found the Premium edition to be faster as it is a little more predictable. The NISMO may have a little better acceleration, but tends to understeer a bit more on corner entry. These are meant to be clean laps but I may have unintentionally clipped an apex. The racing soft tires tend to grab quicker than I am use to and causes me to clip the inside wall.

GT-R Premium edition '17 1:18.930
GT-R NISMO '17 1:19.666
It's the Premium Edition. I'll edit that in :)
Does this can be done on any ToD, Mr. Cipher?
Yes, as long as it's not night since that might affect visibility on the markers. Will add it in as well :)

Well I have good news for you, this was absolutely 100% wall ridden, the faster times on there will be wall riding fairly smoothly, the slower times on there are honestly probably throwing it into the corners and bouncing off the barricades, I don't see a sub-1:16 happening otherwise.

Here's me obliterating these plebs (A lap this disgusting being only 1 second faster pretty much proves it, because I'm saving like half a second at least every braking zone, that or the physics were drastically different back then :lol:)

Case closed :D

Well I have good news for you, this was absolutely 100% wall ridden, the faster times on there will be wall riding fairly smoothly, the slower times on there are honestly probably throwing it into the corners and bouncing off the barricades, I don't see a sub-1:16 happening otherwise.

Here's me obliterating these plebs (A lap this disgusting being only 1 second faster pretty much proves it, because I'm saving like half a second at least every braking zone, that or the physics were drastically different back then :lol:)

Case closed :D

Whoah I'm speechless :eek: I can't even call that dirty, given the execution! (It still is but perfectly dirty)
Thanks for your demo lap :bowdown:
I can finally rest at ease knowing that I'm only 3 seconds off the pace instead of 5 :lol:
Was able to do a 1:17.894 without hitting any walls (or so does it?)

Here's the proof
Thanks! :D I'll watch it later

I ran a 1:17.2 with a clean lap

and a 1;14.4 with wall riding.

I can get a few tenths more cleanly and even more wall riding but it is clear that wall riding is quite a bit faster.

Back