Nissan GTR: Driving with no Aids doesn't make sense does it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter blademask
  • 17 comments
  • 4,072 views
Messages
193
Messages
commedieu
Considering that the NIssan GTR is a specific computer system controlled vehicle, would it make sense to drive WITHOUT Active Stability/Steering System? This would all depend on 2 cases:

1. Polyphony doesn't replicate/simulate individual vehicle stability systems.
2. Polyphony Does "" ""

The way that vehicle performs in the game is unlike any footage/video I've seen of it. (Professional Physics/Aids OFF). The vehicle handles much like the Cappuchino, just a larger version. I've seen people TopGear/Motortrend/The OWNER of Polyphony himself Drive with all of the systems on MINUS Traction control.

The reason the GTR is so special, is due to its computer systems that check and balance the vehicle. Turning all of these off wouldn't speed the vehicle up in the least. I'm not even sure you can turn the systems off in the real thing (never driven one, just watched).

I can see turning the systems off for rwd c6 z06 or several other cars, because their computer management systems aren't nearly as refined, and you can more than likely get BETTER performance from the vehicles with it off.

Feel free to correct me on anything. This is just what i've gathered from watching skylines over the years.
 
This was my impression too, that PD doesn't alter the stability systems to the vehicle. GT5P's stability system seems to be very aggressive: if the car gets a little too bent out of shape, it scrubs a whole lot of speed (particularly at Daytona) and does its best to keep the car going relatively straight, rather than a series of little inputs to accomplish what the driver wants to do before things get way out of hand, which I gather is more like the GTR's system. This would be in keeping with the GT 'philosophy' of gradually getting you to turn all drivers' aids off to get the best times. It'll be interesting to see whether GT5 will customize the vehicle stability systems so that GTRs and other technological marvels are like their real-life counterparts.
 
The GTR's super sophisticated 4 wheel drive system is not compromised in the game. TCS is a program in the game meant to mimik most TCS' in real life. Everyone shuts of TCS in real life and you should in the game as well because it cuts power when it thinks your screwing up. If you shut off all the aids the GTR wont be any slower in the corners in real life or in GT5.
 
This is a similar argument as being able to drive a Tiptronic car or a car that is pure Automatic as a manual.

I don't see a problem with it. I'm against the evil of driving aids.
 
IMO, driving aids denies you the chance to let youself know where and how you can improve your driving, because it helps cover your mistakes to a certain degree.

Having said that, no one should tell you how you should enjoy your game. I don't use any assist at all and I don't care if the real car have any, because to me driving without it is fun.
 
I've said a similar thing in respect to the Evolution X.

It seems that the new breed of sports/super car have many aids. So to have an authentic drive in those cars you would need to replicate the computer systems installed, and activate the driving aids.

As for accurately modelling each cars individual computer system, I think that PD model 'the principle' where appropriate, but on the whole I think that they ignore most things that don't fit into their 'view' of driving.

For instance, has PD ever modelled the Skylines 'HICAS' system in any of its games?
 
The trademark systems of the Skylines - ATTESA-Ets (Pro on later models) and (Super on later models) HICAS - are both modelled at least in GT4, the former certainly in GT3 too. I haven't bought a road R34 in GT5P yet so I can't say anything about it.

In GT3 the GT-R's could be power oversteered quite easily as stock but the situation changed dramatically when the VCD was fitted, it made the cars permanent AWD. The conclusion: ATTESA-Ets (Pro) modelled. The same test can be replicated in GT4, but also when going to Photo Travel with a GT-R and adjusting the angle of the front wheels the rear wheels also turn slightly. The conclusion: ATTESA-Ets (Pro) and (Super) HICAS modelled.
 
nice to see other people think about this.
I just had a back and forth conversation about this yesterday (thread: "transmission list").
Still - there is no real answer, just different opinions and the very annoying fact that more and more cars today seem to be build around their driving aids and computers. That would lead to the conclusion that soon (and maybe it is already the case with the GT-R or even the EvoX) there will be cars that only work the way they should WITH all their electronic driving assists on. The cars may be instabil the way they are designed but as they are designed with all that computer stuff from start off, they work - but only with it.
(take the Eurofighter airplane for an example - that thing is made so it is instabil so it can turn and move quick. The only thing that makes it fly normal is the computer that controls all those little flaps and additional aerodynamic stuff. Without the computer it would fall out of the sky like a rock).
[was the best example I could think off. I know its a plane but maybe take an F1 car. I am sure they have loads of computer aided stuff. I just don't know much about it].
So in the end there is still the question, did PD model the behavior of cars like the GT-R or EvoX so they drive like IRL with the ingame assists off, or do you need the assists in the game on to simulate a realistic driving experience.
(if you turn the assists in the game off and the GT-R drives quite realistic, that would mean PD has programmed all the real life assists into the car that you may not be able to turn off in real life,cause the car does not just use TCS or ASM).
 
The GTR seems to be a very special car and to me it drives like on rails, even with all the aids OFF. ( ok ive set ABS on1)
I think PD did great with this new Nissan!
 
In GT3 the GT-R's could be power oversteered quite easily as stock but the situation changed dramatically when the VCD was fitted, it made the cars permanent AWD. The conclusion: ATTESA-Ets (Pro) modelled. The same test can be replicated in GT4, but also when going to Photo Travel with a GT-R and adjusting the angle of the front wheels the rear wheels also turn slightly. The conclusion: ATTESA-Ets (Pro) and (Super) HICAS modelled.

any links in the GT4 forums about this subject?
 
I drove the GTR for the first time since the demo tonight without any AIDS and I can tell you it drives like it has the TCS set at 6. Wonderful car
 
does anyone here have a real life experience of driving with a traction control system ? what's it like? but i must say the gtr in the game is actually pretty good. turns when you want to, and gets you out of trouble if you know what i mean. i can go on driving it without touching the qts. though not online :D
 
Ok, I can confirm the GTR has aids, even when you cut your aids all off... It was suggested earlier by a friend of mine to go wide open throttle in a turn, and see what happens.

Well, take your GTR out to Daytona, do a turn at WOT, don't pace the turn either by decelerating, just go for it. You'll make it just fine. The GTR has a correction TWITCH where the nose will twitch towards the turn you are trying to make.Its VERY slight but you can feel it with the DFPRO and the DS3.

Now try that same turn in another AWD/4wd vehicle to see the difference. They don't have the TWITCH the GTR does. I Just tested out other awd vehicles to see if Polyphony tried to cheat and just have different drivetypes but nope heh. You will more than likely lose traction with these and spin out.

Same with the F430/C6Z06(my fastest cars :\)
 
That is exact what ATTESA-Ets is doing. That doesn't related to TSC. TSC/DSC only reacts when it detects too much slip angle or lose of traction, while ATTESA-Ets adjusted the power on the wheel depends on the corner. System like SH-AWD from honda/acura did the same thing too but not as aggressively tuned and cannot do 1:99% torque split.
 
I wish they would put other cars that use the electronic devices like the Lancer Evo X which use all of its previous device likes AYC/ACD and the Impreza WRX STi DCCD Controller... Somehow, I can't drift the R34 the same way as GT4... Did PD change the R34's setting?
 
I wish they would put other cars that use the electronic devices like the Lancer Evo X which use all of its previous device likes AYC/ACD and the Impreza WRX STi DCCD Controller... Somehow, I can't drift the R34 the same way as GT4... Did PD change the R34's setting?

No, They changed the whole physics engine, not the car lol...

Super advanced all wheel drive systems, AYC/HICAS etc etc have nothing to do with driving aids.

Its like saying shutting off the TCS will shut off the effin' engine management computer.

PD knows of these systems and surely adjusts how the car handles around them, Weather they recreated the actions of the system or simply change some of the cars handling properties are unknown, however we know they acknowledge them.
 
Well even with TCS at 0 and all aids off the car is not that difficult to control and drive, so I'm assuming some element of GT-R computer systems are still in use... the car is one of the easiest to drive fast in the game.
 
Perhaps it's my crazy driving style, but I constantly get the back end to swing around. Maybe I've just spent too much time in the OFC-1...
 
Back