Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 Tune?

• Thread starter aadil717
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
Coventry
aadil717
Hi guys, I've been trying to tune the GTR for Indy 1/4 mile and was hoping that everyone could share tips and good advice on how to make my tune better.

I'm using the R34 M Spec II '02 (standard)
Used (20,000km), Oil changed, Engine Rebuilt, Ridgity Repaired as well.
Fully modified - 783BHP right now.

I don't think the M Spec is much different to the other GT-R R34s but it's got slightly more power.

Transmission: Max Speed set to 165MPH and the 6th gear ratios set till the speed increase to 168MPH

Suspension: I've used the FR principle and kept it stiff and high at the rear, and soft and (reasonably) low at the front:

Height: -15/+15
Spring rate: unsure as I'm not on my PS3 but it was the lowest value for the front and really stiff for the rear
Extension:2/10
Compression:2/10
Anti roll bars: kept standard

I also added camber

2.5/3.0 (thought this might give it better traction?)
Toe: 0.00/0.00

I don't think LSD affects anything either so I didn't tune that.

Not sure about the Torque Distubutor either, I changed it back to the original 35:65 as I thought it made no difference at 20:80

Using Racing Softs, all aids off, Automatic transmission (at Indy its far easier and better for me lol)

I'm running mid 9's and hitting about 140MPH

Any help or advice would be appreciated to me and others searching in the future for advice. I'm not exactly a professional at drag racing and would be very grateful for anyone's assistance.

Thanks

Try swapping your dampers a bit. Run 2/10 and 10/2's and see if it makes a difference. You may need to adjust them slightly though. Camber is a definite NO-NO here. Camber is generally used for adding stability to a car. Camber useage during drag racing actually decreaces traction, and therefore cause a bad launch and/or top end speed. Remove camber, and add some toe. For RWD cars I use around .65-.85 depending on the car, sometimes less and sometimes more. Beware though, too much or toe little can kill your car. If this car is AWD, not sure here though I think it is, I'd run probably .30 in the front and .60 in the back, especially if my torque settings were split 40/60 which in most cases, either needs to be 40/60 or 50/50. LSD, run that at 60/60/5, might not make a huge difference but I personally believe that it helps a bit. Once you get this all right, then it's time to test and tune with your tranny. Hopefully these tips get you up a few more MPH. I've heard of R34's doing 145 with an extremely good tune, so what you do with this information is up to you. It is probable that if you play with it long enough you may have one of the better R34's. Trust me.

Use the premium R34. It has more power and should be faster. Mine traps 150.

As for your suspension, yea to what slash said.

slashfan7964
Try swapping your dampers a bit. Run 2/10 and 10/2's and see if it makes a difference. You may need to adjust them slightly though. Camber is a definite NO-NO here. Camber is generally used for adding stability to a car. Camber useage during drag racing actually decreaces traction, and therefore cause a bad launch and/or top end speed. Remove camber, and add some toe. For RWD cars I use around .65-.85 depending on the car, sometimes less and sometimes more. Beware though, too much or toe little can kill your car. If this car is AWD, not sure here though I think it is, I'd run probably .30 in the front and .60 in the back, especially if my torque settings were split 40/60 which in most cases, either needs to be 40/60 or 50/50. LSD, run that at 60/60/5, might not make a huge difference but I personally believe that it helps a bit. Once you get this all right, then it's time to test and tune with your tranny. Hopefully these tips get you up a few more MPH. I've heard of R34's doing 145 with an extremely good tune, so what you do with this information is up to you. It is probable that if you play with it long enough you may have one of the better R34's. Trust me.

Oh, I thought adding camber would add more traction to the wheels but obviously it doesn't, my bad. lol

Thanks for toe advice, I don't actually know what it really does, as I see no difference which is why I just changed it to 0.00/0.00 but I am going to try adjusting the toe and changing the dampers and will report back when i try it.

Doesn't LSD only affect the car in corners? I haven't adjusted that so I will give that a go too.

Thanks for the help Slash!

DaLightninRacer
Use the premium R34. It has more power and should be faster. Mine traps 150.

As for your suspension, yea to what slash said.

My Standard one has about 10BHP more so I was guessing that's faster? My premium one has 773BHP (don't think it's fully broken it) but at the moment both my standard M Specs have more power than the premium one, 787BHP for my fastest M Spec.

I believe it's faster than the Premium and I've heard in the forums it is as surely the extra BHP helps.
I will try when I get home and see what has a quicker time.
It's probably most likely that your tune is making your car faster rather than the car, but I will still try and see what is faster with the same tune.

Thanks again for the help, any advice is appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Premium R34 is faster, i've never been beat by a standard model and they max out at 797HP not 773HP, that's a start....

For drag tuning, you shouldn't be using camber or toe. You are not going to be taking any corners at speed, so you want you can as stable as possible in a straight line. So I'll say keep camber and toe at 0.00.

LSD on the other hand affects your acceleration, getting off the line cleanly, so play around with the Initial Torque and Accelerqtion figures.

Also another question:

Adding downforce/rear wing onto the R34 - will that benefit the time in any way? Like more grip on launch or does it just slow the car down?

ROYALEFATALE
Premium R34 is faster, i've never been beat by a standard model and they max out at 797HP not 773HP, that's a start....

My engine hasn't fully broken in yet as stated in earlier post^ so right now my M Spec is more powerful and faster if that makes sense?

Once I put more miles on my premium I will transfer the tune to the more powerful premium car.

But at least now I know that the Premium is potentially faster so thanks Royale for confirming that. 👍

krsht3
LSD on the other hand affects your acceleration, getting off the line cleanly, so play around with the Initial Torque and Accelerqtion figures.

I didn't know that it affected the launch, so thanks for confirming this too! 👍

There is a wing glitch that offline you will take off like a bat out of hell. Online, I'm not too sure it works.

I personally haven't seen any effect of having it other than adjusting downforce.

IRL, no. In GT5, it can because it's a glitch. Just having it supposedly helps. In real life, downforce only occurs when you get up to a high speed. In GT5, it's always there, so it can help your launch somewhat but it can kill your trap speed. So if you get a good enough launch you should be able to pull away from most others.

Yes I knew IRL you need to be travelling at about 90-120MPH for it to have some real effect but was wondering about the game.

Well I am looking for the best launch as it's vital in a drag race to have the quickest launch as that's my problem in this car so I shall try that too, thanks.

Last edited:
personally i launch in 2nd in my R34, i believe it's geared shorter for just a little smoke/wheelspin, eliminates the 1st>2nd shift time on launch

slashfan7964
No problem, just make sure you don't use too much.

Too much? I'm sure that the downforce of the halfway value and the full value wouldn't really affect much?

Has anyone experienced any changes due to the physics improvements?

Latest Posts

Back