No HDTV for PAL users workaround?

  • Thread starter Thread starter slapnutz
  • 12 comments
  • 1,686 views
Messages
9
Ok, most of us know that the PAL version of GT4 will VERY likely NOT support HDTV (i.e. 480p & 1080i). This is most likely because of two things.....

a) There is hardly a HDTV market in PAL regions (unfortunately)

b) Although PAL is 50Hz as oppposed to 60Hz, it however runs on a higher resolution than NTSC with more scanlines displayed. This different (and more importantly higher) resolution thus means and the HDTV equivilent resolutions for PAL would have to be higher than 480p & 1080i repectively. This basically becomes a hardware limitation since it is like asking the PS2 to bump up the resolution. (anyone with a PC knows what happens to framerate when you do this:P)

Now there are some obviously very "angry" forum users out there who went and spent thousands of $$$ on a brand new HDTV televison. What can they do now?

Well, being a PAL user myself, I had a similar problem with XBOX games with my TVs. However there was a way around is on the XBOX! Could similar apply to PS2?
Now my explaination is a bit long so be warned......

My TV is PAL and so is a XBOX. However, the logic that decides whether the XBOX is PAL or NTSC is software. Soooo.....to "trick" my XBOX into thinking is was PAL, I simply added a Mod-chip and installed a piece of software which would switch the XBOX EEPROMM from PAL to NSTC and vice-versa! Once it was in NSTC mode, I could go into the dashboard and enable HTDV support and WOOHOO!...I could now play my Xbox games at 480p/720p/1080i on my PAL TV!

Now...the PS2 & GT4. I need you modded PS2 PAL/NTSC owners to help me out here. Like the Xbox, can the PS2 region be changed via mod chips? If so, could the solution be for us PAL users be to simply mod the PS2 and set it to NTSC?? Also maybe we would need an NTSC copy of the game?

Eitherway, I'm looking forward to GT4 but if I need to pay a little bit extra to get HDTV support then I'm sure few other PAL owners wouldnt mind either:)
 
no replies huh. I guess you PAL users who just bought new TVs for GT4 in HDTV dont mind being dissapointed??

..oh well, cant blame me for trying:)
 
The PAL TV still needs to have HDTV capabilities right? PAL TV's don't just magically support HDTV.
 
I never knew you could switch regions with a mod chip. that does sound pretty correct. One question, You said that when you set the xbox to NTSC it had all of the NTSC features. Does that mean that when the developers change the xbox to PAL they just cut these features out?
 
Well, I have a Pal TV that has NTSC 1080i and PAL 1125i as well as a host of other Prog Scan modes too (625p, 525p etc). However, until my US GT4 comes (soon!) I won't know for certain if it works fully.
Now, as I have a US PS2 (cost £160) I can have full HDTV! Getting your PS2 modded is very, very difficult now as it is illegal and finding someone to do it is very hard. If you're really desperate get an import PS2 and import games (games usually only cost £31 to £40 depending on postage).

About the Xbox though. Am I right in thinking the PAL Xbox does not support HDTV? Maybe I can get that modded instead!
 
Ok to clarify some questions. My original PAL Xbox had no HDTV options in the Dashboard (the built-in green screen thingy when you turn it on without any discs)

Once I modded it AND switched it to NTSC region via SOFTWARE then the HDTV options appeared in the dashboard. (so to answer KindPin87 questions, yes Miscrosoft simply "hide" via software the HDTV capability on PAL Xbox)

All my games however are PAL, so the whole HDTV ability is stored on the XBOX and is not determined by the game disc.

btw, obviously you NEED a Component cable.

Soooo....here is a theory I was hoping with the PS2.

1) Mod the PS2 to play NTSC discs + 2) Buy NTSC copy of GT4 = HDTV for me???

btw, most new higher quality PAL TVs can run HDTV resolutions of both PAL and NTSC.

Or worst case, I guess I'll have to buy an NTSC console and game???
 
Nice theory. If i've got £3000 to buy a nice HDTV with and £200 to buy NTSC GT4 and NTSC PS2 i might contemplate it.

Didn't know PAL GT4 wasn't going to support HDTV though. I've been looking around to buy an HDTV recentley, maybe i just won't bother now and just get a nice normal tv instead.
 
2) Buy NTSC copy of GT4 = HDTV

That's probably my option. I have seen the Chinese version running at 1080i on a 62" HDTV. I don't think the PAL version can even come close but I'm waiting till I get my PAL copy to compare and show me what I'm missing...

"optimized for PAL" means that they removed the best bits...
 
Any other ways to improve graphics on PAL TVs?
I have just a freaking 20-year old TV for use with console games, and from my experience, I can tell it's hardly stuff of dreams to play PS2 games with it, in terms of visual satisfaction :yuck:

I know an LCD or Plasma TV would probably do the trick, but I don't want to spend that much money.

Any suggestions?

Thanx...!
 
"There is hardly a HDTV market in PAL regions"

Only HALF true, dude.

S. Africa and Aus/NZ have the most digital/HD channels in the world.
 
MSZ
"There is hardly a HDTV market in PAL regions"

Only HALF true, dude.

S. Africa and Aus/NZ have the most digital/HD channels in the world.

Actually, although NZ does have Sky Digital, is it not HD. The signal is on a digital medium (satallite) but that has nothing to do with "High Definition TV".
 
**This is for all of you PAL users with an HDTV set**

If you were gonna simply buy GT4 PAL upon release and be contempt with NOT having HDTV mode....you may wanna check out this site(if you havent already)

It is one of the best examples of the difference HDTV can make. It may even make you wanna try get HDTV working with GT4 (as is the purpose of this thread)

cheers.
 
Back