No love for Gr.2?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
When PD introduced three new cars in an entirely new class it seemed a bit odd, but they are such a blast to drive. I have had some great fun racing online (at Alsace of all places) where I even picked up a rare win. The downforce lets you push and fight through corners like old F1 before all the safety changes.

Where Group 4 is gentle and forgiving, and Group 3 is more about balance and finesse (and probably the ultimate test of skill), Group 2 is balls to the wall intense racing pushing the limit. I'm not claiming it's the most skilled class, but the most fun. I find Group 1 to be a lot more serious, the cars handling dynamic round corners doesn't allow for close pack racing like the lower classes.

Who doesn't like Group 2? I have never heard a bad word said about it. I really hope for more cars and dai..weekly races in this category.
Why don't PD make more of it, replace a few FIA Group 4 Nations races with Group 2 if there is a next year because the La Croix Gr2 is the race I'm most looking forwards to.

What do you think? Is there something I'm missing, because I think Group 2 has been added and almost forgotten since but is my favourite class.

When PD introduced three new cars in an entirely new class it seemed a bit odd, but they are such a blast to drive. I have had some great fun racing online (at Alsace of all places) where I even picked up a rare win. The downforce lets you push and fight through corners like old F1 before all the safety changes.

Where Group 4 is gentle and forgiving, and Group 3 is more about balance and finesse (and probably the ultimate test of skill), Group 2 is balls to the wall intense racing pushing the limit. I'm not claiming it's the most skilled class, but the most fun. I find Group 1 to be a lot more serious, the cars handling dynamic round corners doesn't allow for close pack racing like the lower classes.

Who doesn't like Group 2? I have never heard a bad word said about it. I really hope for more cars and dai..weekly races in this category.
Why don't PD make more of it, replace a few FIA Group 4 Nations races with Group 2 if there is a next year because the La Croix Gr2 is the race I'm most looking forwards to.

What do you think? Is there something I'm missing, because I think Group 2 has been added and almost forgotten since but is my favourite class.
It's like real life. Super GT only takes place in Asia and there aren't many rounds. GT3&4 are most popular and global.

I love SGT. Being in this game, there should be races for all Groups. Well, when Gr. 2 gets a next Daily/Weekly race, it'll be right on time. ;)

is the existence of "dirty air" confirmed?
Yes, very much so. Try following a Gr. 1 car around the esses on Dragon Trail- it's really hard to maintain your usual pace around it with Gr. 1's dirty air

I agree pretty much with mclarenLB and Shottah. I've also said the same thing in another thread where racing is really hard because of the difficulty following someone else in anything higher than Gr. 3. I think it certainly plays a part as to why Gr. 2 (and by extension, Gr. 1) is featured rarely in Sport mode. Don't get me wrong though, I still very much love the cars themselves and I hope to see them more often in the future weeklies

Yes, very much so. Try following a Gr. 1 car around the esses on Dragon Trail- it's really hard to maintain your usual pace around it with Gr. 1's dirty air

I agree pretty much with mclarenLB and Shottah. I've also said the same thing in another thread where racing is really hard because of the difficulty following someone else in anything higher than Gr. 3. I think it certainly plays a part as to why Gr. 2 (and by extension, Gr. 1) is featured rarely in Sport mode. Don't get me wrong though, I still very much love the cars themselves and I hope to see them more often in the future weeklies
OK. My biggest problem when I follow someone close is that I do not see much with the bumper view, and so I do not hit the Apex well.

OK. My biggest problem when I follow someone close is that I do not see much with the bumper view, and so I do not hit the Apex well.

I use bumper cam as well and simply don't follow so close that I can't see anything. There's no use being that much on someone's bumper. It's better to get out of their line as well so you can see the upcoming corner and brake out of their dirty air. You can always move back behind before turn in to get a better corner exit. I usually brake a little earlier as well when right behind to get that better corner exit, which gives me plenty view of the apex. Staying right behind guarantees a worse corner exit and risks bumping the car ahead.

You shouldn't follow that close though. I also use bumper cam but the only time I'm ever that close to someone is when I set myself up for an overtake. In Gr. 2 you can feel the dirty air from as far as 5/10ths away
Here's a video from a while back highlighting this effect:
Notice that almost everytime the gap winds down to 3-4/10ths, I would always drop back to 7-8/10ths behind again

I like the speed of Gr. 2, but I think Gr. 3 requires more skill as you say, so it makes for better racing. The weekly races really don't help their cause. It would be nice to have a race C with them at least one day a week.

how can a slower class require more skill? GR2 you have less time to think , less time to adjust so you need even more skill

how can a slower class require more skill? GR2 you have less time to think , less time to adjust so you need even more skill
In a racing situation Gr. 2 definitely needs more skill. But in terms of hotlapping, Gr. 3 is a bit harder because downforce doesn't help you as much and it needs much more finesse to find the perfect balance in each corner to get the best lap time in that class. Gr. 2 still needs this finesse of course, just that the gobs of downforce helps you in this regard

lol "Dirty Air" this debate has been around since GT5.

There absolutely is not dirty air in this game. There is however a VERY unrealistically powerful slipstream.

Being in someone's slipstream through a turn simply makes you go faster, beyond the grip capabilities of your car. and the end result of that, is the feeling of less turning grip.

Plus, dirty air is exclusive to cars that produce insane levels of downforce I.E Formula cars. So even if there was dirty air in this game you wouldn't feel it on silhouette cars.

I agree, Gr2 cars feel easier to control than Gr3 cars. In campaign mode on Gr2 cars when you maximize the downforce by tuning, you really can feel a huge difference.

I remember there have been Gr2 races online, I like Gr2 cars a lot, hope we see them back online soon.

If you're looking for competitive online Gr.2 racing, have you considered looking into the "online racing leagues" section? Decent races aren't just limited to Sport Mode you know, leagues have been around for WAY longer.

The reason that Gr.3/4 are so popular in Sport Mode is because of the wide scope of manufacturers that have those cars, where as Gr.2 has just 3 manufacturers right now.

Regarding the current roster of cars, now that DTM has finally made a deal with Super GT, the possibility of Gr.2's from Audi, BMW and Mercedes is not out of the question. Obviously I'd like to see that become a reality, but who knows...

If you're looking for competitive online Gr.2 racing, have you considered looking into the "online racing leagues" section? Decent races aren't just limited to Sport Mode you know, leagues have been around for WAY longer.

Thanks, had a look and didn't see any Gr.2 but will keep an eye out. Did see a lot of interesting stuff though. I'm pretty new to online racing. I only raced online in GT5 to play the Special Stage (Route X I think) because it was paid for DLC otherwise, so not seriously until this game.

Regarding the current roster of cars, now that DTM has finally made a deal with Super GT, the possibility of Gr.2's from Audi, BMW and Mercedes is not out of the question. Obviously I'd like to see that become a reality, but who knows...

Yes this has to happen. You can even see the menus in Leagues.... DTM vs Super GT... who will reign supreme?

I personally love Group 2. Its just that they havent given it that much thought.

No doubt that there can come a DTM update, but we should at least get 2018-2019 spec GT500s, wouldn't mind getting some of the unique GT300 too, like lotus, mc, brz, prius... :) they'd be good addition to Gr3 (even though I don't like particularly grouping as it is in game now)

Last edited:
I don't care for gr.2. Can't go a half stint on fuel. I out care for fuel management either.

Back