No MR before 1970 ??

  • Thread starter Thread starter DasBoot
  • 8 comments
  • 822 views
Messages
25
If this is posted in the wrong forum, please move this thread.
This is propably more a real life question than a GT4 one, but anyway...

I am redoing GT4, and after 3 races in the "1000miles" championship with the
'70 Galant, I thought I'd quit the series and do the last race with a different car.

I went looking for a MR car qualifying for the 1000 miles. But I found none.
The oldest non-race, MR car is the Lancia Stratos (1973).

Why aren't there any other older MR cars in GT ?
When did MR start to "take off" in real life ?

Thanx,

DasBoot
 
I'm not sure for the first one, but in the mid-sixties the Lamborghini Muira and the DeTomaso Pantera. :sly:
And they are really missing in the game!:grumpy:
 
Welcome to GTP, Das Boot.

Unfortunately I can't give a complete answer to your question, as I gave my copy of GT4 to my nephew for Christmas in a mistaken bid to lessen my grip on computer games.

However I know the Lotus Europa was certainly designed in the sixties, but I suspect that the version in the game, being a twin cam engined model, was actually made in the seventies. The sixties model had a Renault 16 engine.

The Chapparal 2D was a sixties car but I don't think race cars are eligible for that race.

I'm pretty sure the only other MR cars for sale were obscure specials such as the De Tomaso Mangusta (Italian for mongoose, an animal which eats Cobras for breakfast!) and of course the Lamborghini Muira, and road versions of the Ford GT40. The Pantera came out in about 1972, I think.

For an interesting sixties experience on GT4, however, I'd recommend the Toyota 2000GT, which you can buy brand new in the Toyota hall.

Have fun. Ed.
 
I have found some midengined cars that were made before1970,but none that are in gt4:(.

Ferrari Dino-1969
De Tomaso mangusta-1966-197?
Ford GT40 Mark 111-1966-1969
Lamberghini Miura-1966-1972

There are probly less mid engined cars before 1970 because they were either more expensive to make or they were more advanced,and mabey to make a mid engined production car was just harder to make.Thats why there are little in gt4,plus the fact gt4 doesntaa have lamberghini licence or somthing.
 
DasBoot
When did MR start to "take off" in real life ?

I'm sure it was some time after this layout was proven in formula 1. Auto Union used the configuration in the 30's, but it never fully caught on until Cooper put it to use in the late 50's. 1960 was the last year of F1 where the FR cars outnumbered the MRs.

I believe the first MR production car was the Zundapp Janus in 1957. But I may be wrong. Anyways, I don't think it really 'took off' until the mid-60's when Ferrari, Lamorghini, and DeTomaso made performance MRs more accessible to the public. None of these makes made it into GT4, so I guess that is why you don't find many MR's pre-dating 1970.

oh, and the oldest non-race MR in GT4 is the 63 Daihatsu Midget. The Lotus Europa was released in 1964, but the only Europa PD saw fit to include is the 71 Europa Special - I guess because it was the most powerful production Europa (126hp vs the 50 or 80hp S1 Europa's of the mid 60's).

edit:
sorry, the Porsche 550 Spyder is an MR layout, released 1953. Maybe that was the first production MR? Dunno. Lots of microcars use the layout, so it would be no suprise to me if there were one to pre-date that.
Another marque not featured in GT4.
 
Thanx everybody.
I guess PD needs to get their licensing together to allow for a complete picture of (european) car racing history.:grumpy:

FastEddie12
......
For an interesting sixties experience on GT4, however, I'd recommend the Toyota 2000GT, which you can buy brand new in the Toyota hall.

Have fun. Ed.

I'll be sure to check that one out. Thanx Ed.👍
When you say interesting. Do you mean underpowered ?

For the previous 3 races in the series I had a pretty equal field (2 alfa's, honda s800, VW Karmann, Isuzu bellet) with me in my used '70 Mitsubitshi galant gto (no oil change) this resulted in a 60 Aspec-point race.
Not terribly challenging, but enough to keep me at the wheel and not hand it over to B-spec bob.
I haven't tried it but I'm sure he would've managed to finish last.

Boundary Layer
....

oh, and the oldest non-race MR in GT4 is the 63 Daihatsu Midget. ... .

Somehow I can't really see myself doing 1000 miles with that one.:crazy: I can't see myself doing anything with that tricycle other than a photo shoot, when I'm really, really drunk......:dopey:

Laterz,

DasBoot
 
DasBoot
When you say interesting. Do you mean underpowered ?

Somehow I can't really see myself doing 1000 miles with that one.:crazy: I can't see myself doing anything with that tricycle other than a photo shoot, when I'm really, really drunk......:dopey:

No, not so much underpowered (it has 160ish bhp and you can tune it), but a nicely balanced-to-oversteery, goodlooking, classic, but little known (outside Japan) 60s GT. I think that sums it up.

Couldn't agree with you more about the Midget! :)
 
There is another MR car, it isn't only the GT40 road cars but the gulf race car is as well and I think that was made in 1969? I have no idea but that is an older car.
 
Try the VW Karmann ghia with its RR-Engine!
 
Back