No sound when game starts up

United States
Rocket City
Mifune05
This doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to be happening more and more... When I fire up GT5 and it loads up and opens to the main menu screen, there's no sound at all and this will continue for as long as I have the game on.!I don't think it's the PS3 as when I quit the game the sound is fine and there have been more then a few times when I've ha to quit and restart the GT5 multiple times before the sound will kick in. Anybody else having this problem or have any thoughts?

Same, the game lags a lot the last couple of months and I've had to restart it a few times, if you wait 5 minutes it should be there but it's quicker just restarting the game.
When the game freezes, turning the controller on and off helps as somehow it manages to reload everything back to normal lol

The sound issue I've resolved by just turning the TV on and off.

aadil717
Same, the game lags a lot the last couple of months and I've had to restart it a few times, if you wait 5 minutes it should be there but it's quicker just restarting the game.

I've let the game sit for longer than 5 mins and the sound has never came on.

Blitz24
The sound issue I've resolved by just turning the TV on and off.

I'll give that try the next time it happens. Thanks.

I don't think it's a bug personally.

It is because other games don't cause this, GT5 does. It's easily fixable though just unplug your HDMI cable and plug it back in or turn your TV off and turn it back on again.:)

I get it all the time. I just unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in and the sound returns.

Yea, same. I just switch from HDMI to DTV and back, and it's okay for the duration of play. I have no idea what causes it, it is a bit annoying but its not too bad.

Finally had it happen again twice today. First time I tried turning the TV off and then back on and that worked. Second time it happened I changed the source back to the cable box and then back to the PS3 and that worked as well.

NEVER had this issue with gt5 but have with other games in the past...never on the ps3 though. It use to happen when I used AV cables a lot....are you guy sure its not just a cheap hdmi cables your using. Have you guys been experiencing this since day one or after one of the updates?

Last edited:
squirlybmx
I get it all the time. I just unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in and the sound returns.

I do this whenever the sound fails as well. Works every time. A little tedious if the error happens more than once, but an easy fix nonetheless. Squirly are you running and old school or new school PS3?

I have recently started to experience this in the last few weeks.Only happens with GT 5.I normally quit the game and start it again then the sound is there. Will try switching the telly source next time.

I'm pretty late but I have a solution that worked for me. This is for HDMI cables.
Go to your Sound Settings on the PS3 XMB, then just turn on Auto Media Output.
Your game should have sound now. If the error continues, try some of the other methods mentioned.

Last edited:
I'm pretty late but I have a solution that worked for me. This is for HDMI cables.
Go to your Sound Settings on the PS3 XMB, then just turn on Auto Media Output.
Your game should have sound now. If the error continues, try some of the other methods mentioned.

Better late than never. You Sir are a legend!!!! Was happening with my brand new monitor and I have no other screens as I sold my old TV. You win the internet for the rest of this year!.

You know what worked for me? Unchecking DTS 5.1 (or Dolby, whichever might work for you) in the XMB and then restart the game. Solved it for me at least.

Back