noob - need help for under-steering

• Thread starter mades
  • 7 comments
Canada
Canada
Hi. I bought Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2 (for 99 cents). Anyhow, I really suck at the game, heck I am stuck in the B-5 license part. I keep under-steering and all whenever I wanna make a sharp turn while maintaining speed. I realize I should probably get myself an arcade style game, but I love playing a game like GT 4 because of everything the game offers.

I went on some other sections of the forum and I hear people say stuff like "Launch at about 3000 RPM in 1st gear at full throttle" in relation to speed for example. I have no frigging idea what that even means, and the fact that I know what over and under-steering means is well... just the extent of my knowledge concerning cars.

I know nothing about cars whatsoever. In any case, my car is set to automatic (God forbid, I would never put mine at manual). I TRULY need help in becoming a better video game driver.

Also, what is a throttle? I hear GT 4 says stuff about the throttle, but I don't have a clue what that is or what it means. And what is an RPM??? Or rather, what does it do?

GT4 when it first came out was much criticized for its across-the-board understeer. Front wheel drive cars in particular such as the B-5 test car are especially prone to understeer problems. The only solution is practice, practice and more practice. For what it's worth, the general consensus is that this particular test is too difficult to be in the Domestic B licenses. Having said that the test is indeed passable, just keep at it.

As for your other questions, the throttle is the gas pedal. RPM is revolutions per minute, and is displayed on an instrument called a tachometer. It's a measure of how fast the engine is turning. For other questions along these lines, Wikipedia is your friend.

I'm glad it's not cuz I'm a complete noob lol. Thanks for letting know it was a wide problem :)

Thanks for the info about the throttle. I'll finish my LoRT game first and then complete the infamous license part.

EDIT:
Ah, screw that lol. I am trying out the ones from GT 3. I am doing okay with those ones so far XD Maybe I'll play GT3 until I get better.

Last edited:
What sort of car are you driving and what kind of corners are you taking? Note in your HUD you'll have a G - meter inbetween your speed dial and your rev counter. Above it you'll a number representing what gear your in. Pay attention to it. When you get to a corner it flashes red and when it flashes it tells you what gear the corner should be taken in.

Also, when you're driving a front wheel drive car you have to either balance the throttle through the corner or go flat out in the appropriate gear but turn in early to wrestle the understeer but maintain full power in through the corner.

In any case, just keep the driving aids on (ASM & TCS), stay in auto. When setting off, you should generally set off in the middle of the rev range.

In any case, just keep the driving aids on (ASM & TCS), stay in auto. When setting off, you should generally set off in the middle of the rev range.
Turn the ASM off, it not only slows the car in the corners, which can be frustrating if you have a really slow car, but I also find that with careful throttle control, the car often handles better through corners. With ASM, all you're doing is taking a corner much faster than you should and hope the the ASM will compensate for that. Again: Turn it off

Also I would advise that you try and learn to use a manual transmission. With autos you might not get the right gear for the corner, at least with manual you can be guaranteed the right gear for the corner and still set off at a decent pace. Plus you can use it almost sort of like traction control. If you have a really high-powered car, at the start of a race you could select 2nd gear which will cut down some of the wheel-spin.

Another bit of advise for corners, taken from the stig: Slow in, fast out

And I would advise against that, for now at least. The kid is clearly frustrated with the game right now, adding to the difficulty is the last thing to do.

Sure, later on you turn off the aids and go to manual, but save that for when you go back to the licenses to gold them.

As for "slow in fast out", that is indeed the mantra for GT4.

Maybe not at the moment, but as he progresses through the game it probably would be advisable to switch of ASM and go to manual...

Try setting your LSD to 5 INT TQ, 60 acceleration and 60 decceleration and use your handbrake through most small or tight corners
hope this helps

Back