NOOB PS1 and PS2 question by DAD

I was looking around at game stop for Wii games for the kids. We saw a few used GT games. I can remember playing GT1 in college, but have not played any of the new(er) ones GT2-GT4. Is GT1 a PS1 game only and will the PS2 play PS1 games?I pulled the PS2 out of storage and its ready to go. NOW, I know that in GT1 you could really customize/tune your car. Also there where a TON of cars to win and buy. Are the other GT games the same as GT1????
Thanks HATER

Last edited:
The GT1 can be played in any Playstation. PS1, PS2 or PS3. It will work. The rest of the GT games follow the GT1 so there still are a bunch of cars to win and buy ;)

Since you have the PS2, go for the GT4 and you have a game for a very, very long time

I was looking around at game stop for Wii games for the kids. We saw a few used GT games. I can remember playing GT1 in college, but have not played any of the new(er) ones GT2-GT4. I pulled the PS2 out of storage and its ready to go. NOW, I know that in GT1 you could really customize/tune your car. Also there where a TON of cars to win and buy. Are the other GT games the same as GT1????
Thanks HATER
Can't say for definite regarding Gran Turismo 5, reason being I've never so much as held the disc. Despite this however I can tell you for sure that all the way through to Gran Turismo 4, the formula remained unchanged. Although new features were incorporated here and there, the way the game is played remained pretty much the same. :)

For an improved Gran Turismo experience, you should play through Gran Turismo 2, 3, and then move on to the 4th. I recommend spending additional time with Gran Turismo 3. For it was an extremely successful achievement for Polyphony Digital with the levels of realism and physics the game brought early in that time zone of the video game era. It won't even cost you $25 to purchase these three titles in one receipt.

For an improved Gran Turismo experience, you should play through Gran Turismo 2, 3, and then move on to the 4th. I recommend spending additional time with Gran Turismo 3. For it was an extremely successful achievement for Polyphony Digital with the levels of realism and physics the game brought early in that time zone of the video game era. It won't even cost you $25 to purchase these three titles in one receipt.

4.99 each... What a deal (gamestop web site)

Race your kids sometime. See if you can manage to defeat them in a nice father and son or father and daughter match. :sly:

My PS3 will play GT1 and 2 but will not play any PS2 games at all. I know, I tried. It's a fat 80gb model.

Race your kids sometime. See if you can manage to defeat them in a nice father and son or father and daughter match. :sly:

👍 It's been awhile. I think I raced my nephew about a month ago, but that was over at my sister's place, and he has Forza 3. Still, there's something about 2-player racing I really enjoy. I like online too, but online can also be more chaotic, unreliable, and nerve-racking at times. 2 player (or LAN?) you don't have any of these issues, you can just race.

If you have a PS2 you can run all releases up to GT4.

All PS3's can run all PS1 games. Only certain models of the fat PS3 can run PS2 games

Aderrrm
Correct. Only (I think) the fat 60gb had backwards compatability and could play ps1 and ps2 games.

Original 80GB is the one you were thinking about. But i have worked on a few systems for friends. What they had me do to their SLIM PS3s, is put in a original 80GB'S blue ray player in thier slim. And i did a little research upon doing this, and what makes the ps3 play PS1 & PS2 games is infact a chip underneath the blue ray player. I am personally saving up money to buy the blue ray drive or at least the chip to put in my 160GB FAT PS3. I put in a new HDD in my PS3 recently runs much quicker.

Original 80GB is the one you were thinking about. But i have worked on a few systems for friends. What they had me do to their SLIM PS3s, is put in a original 80GB'S blue ray player in thier slim. And i did a little research upon doing this, and what makes the ps3 play PS1 & PS2 games is infact a chip underneath the blue ray player. I am personally saving up money to buy the blue ray drive or at least the chip to put in my 160GB FAT PS3. I put in a new HDD in my PS3 recently runs much quicker.

Really?! Just swapping a 80GB Fat Blu-Ray drive in a Slim makes it play PS2 games?

DavPow
Really?! Just swapping a 80GB Fat Blu-Ray drive in a Slim makes it play PS2 games?

The chip underneath the blue ray player of the 80GBs is what allowed it to read ps2 games. Out of about 25 times only one time did this not work. But he said his blue ray player was messed up anyway.

The chip underneath the blue ray player of the 80GBs is what allowed it to read ps2 games. Out of about 25 times only one time did this not work. But he said his blue ray player was messed up anyway.

But can you actually PLAY PS2 games? Is there any videos showing a Slim PS3 playing PS2 games? Or a page that shows the mod? :drool:

DavPow
But can you actually PLAY PS2 games? Is there any videos showing a Slim PS3 playing PS2 games? Or a page that shows the mod? :drool:

Well one thing i can't express more is not to do this while your playstation is under warranty. Because removing the warranty sticker will void the warranty. And this is not a jailbreak or anything like that either.

But when you take apart the 2nd generation Fat ps3 or Slim model ps3. What i did was swapped the blue ray players from the original 80GB (remove ribbon cables carefully from the motherboard of the ps3) and put it into the 2nd generation fat or slim model ps3 using the same ribbons cables

Latest Posts

Back