Normal vs. Widescreen Mode

• Thread starter S2K
  • 18 comments
I was wondering whether widescreen mode has an increased peripheral view of the track compared to normal mode, i.e you can see more of the track width?

If this is the case, do other people find that this helps when you are taking a late apex on a hairpin i.e. when you can no longer see the apex side of the corner? Sometimes I find it difficult on a 'blind corner' to know when to start accelerating again if I don't know if the corner is opening or closing. Anyone use parallax techniques to help with this?

On a related subject, where do people look when cornering - outside track / Inside track / apex? Or is it more a case of braking point / apex / exit point?

Thoughts please!

Originally posted by S2K
I was wondering whether widescreen mode has an increased peripheral view of the track compared to normal mode, i.e you can see more of the track width?

If this is the case, do other people find that this helps when you are taking a late apex on a hairpin i.e. when you can no longer see the apex side of the corner? Sometimes I find it difficult on a 'blind corner' to know when to start accelerating again if I don't know if the corner is opening or closing. Anyone use parallax techniques to help with this?

On a related subject, where do people look when cornering - outside track / Inside track / apex? Or is it more a case of braking point / apex / exit point?

Thoughts please!

Widescreen does have an increased peripheral view, but it is not a big increase. You basically have to have a mental picture of the turn and use that for a big part. One important feature I use is the force feedback - it allows me to feel if I'm on the rumble strip for instance.

I always find that if you make sure you keep the apex of the corner just inside the view on a normal TV you'll make it round the corner.

I would have a major problem with Arwin's method as my current PS2 controller has never rumbled since I bought it...and now L2 and R2 don't work either...but anyway.

And whilst we're on the point of braking and tyres, does anyone else think the Elise 190's brakes are just a bit pants? Oh...and don't get me started on the new Impreza WRX!

:)

Speaking of widescreen, I turned it on in GT4P, then switched my TV to widescreen mode, which commits all the screen pixels to the image instead of using some for the black lines, and then I watched a replay. It seemed to look better than normal. Anyone else tried this?

By having a widescreen tv I've not even tried the normal 4:3 view but I've done some captures to pc with 4:3 and yea widescreen seems to have more 'depth' to it. I like, no going back to 4:3.

With just a 14" TV (:-( ) I dont have the widescreen option, but if you can see more, it might be worth changing. Trouble is, where to stick it in my bedroom?

Arwin
Widescreen does have an increased peripheral view, but it is not a big increase. You basically have to have a mental picture of the turn and use that for a big part. One important feature I use is the force feedback - it allows me to feel if I'm on the rumble strip for instance.

Are you sure of this, most games just cut the top and bottom of the 4:3 picture to make a 16:9 widescreen image. Normally less is seen with widescreen than with 4:3 ratio.

Have you actually started a race in each of the modes, and before moving checked what can be seen at the edge of the picture?

Rapidone
Are you sure of this, most games just cut the top and bottom of the 4:3 picture to make a 16:9 widescreen image. Normally less is seen with widescreen than with 4:3 ratio.

Have you actually started a race in each of the modes, and before moving checked what can be seen at the edge of the picture?

I checked it out when it was mentioned in another thread, and you do get a better view of the track. My example was at Fuji, on the start grid, the adverts on the right hand side were cut off at 4:3, but in 16:9 you could see the whole board and then the start of the next one.

I play alot on my portable DVD player...has a 7" wide screen....I just put it on my bed and lay down and fall asleep on my controller when I am done....( bad for the wiring )

TwinTurboJay
I play alot on my portable DVD player...has a 7" wide screen....I just put it on my bed and lay down and fall asleep on my controller when I am done....( bad for the wiring )

Do you play GT on it, or are you just spamming yet another thread to keep your 20 post a day average up :lol:

btw before you say...spam, moi? Have a look :P

Tacet_Blue
I checked it out when it was mentioned in another thread, and you do get a better view of the track. My example was at Fuji, on the start grid, the adverts on the right hand side were cut off at 4:3, but in 16:9 you could see the whole board and then the start of the next one.

Ok thank, that's nice to know.

Tacet_Blue
Do you play GT on it, or are you just spamming yet another thread to keep your 20 post a day average up :lol:

btw before you say...spam, moi? Have a look :P

Only play gt2 & 3 on it...had to splice the ps2 cables into the portable dvd players though, they have different plug on the end, so the ps2 would go directly into the dvd playr....pain in the azz

TwinTurboJay
Only play gt2 & 3 on it...had to splice the ps2 cables into the portable dvd players though, they have different plug on the end, so the ps2 would go directly into the dvd playr....pain in the azz

My mistake then...there was some relevance :)

When I first began to play GT in 16:9 it seemed to be so very different. Although after acclimatising to it for a few days, it feels no different to playing in 4:3. It is undoubtedly visually impressive, although as suggested above, it does little to improve your racing.
It is however great if you are playing two player in GT3 or Concept as you can split the vertically, making for a far superior experience.

Back