North America to Europe online? How's the lag?

Has any North American's ever raced a friend or a group of people in Europe? If so, was it playable or is the lag too much?
It entirely depends on who you're playing, whether they (or you) have taken any measures to optimise their connection, and where they are. New York to London is a very different proposition from San Diego to Ankara; both are North America/Europe, but one is double the distance of the other (and the data distance is likely even larger).

What Famine said. Depending on your and their location, the lag could even be less than playing on the NA server itself. Toronto to London is avg 90ms ping (server to server), Toronto to Brasilia average 180ms ping. Half the lag. Actually from Toronto the whole of Europe has lower ping than to Brazil.

From LA it's a different story, 190ms to Athens, still only slightly more than to Brazil. (still 180ms to Brazil from LA). From LA you can play on the Asia server with similar lag as to South America.

You can check here to see what to expect
https://wondernetwork.com/pings
But you still get your and their ping to your ISP on top of that

Raced with guys from America/ Canada and the Antipodes the other week. Not a hint of lag. I usually have more trouble with a laggy Frenchman than anything I experienced there. I know another Brit in the lobby had some issues. But he was the only one. For reference my PS4 is essentially at the other end of the house to the router and it seems to work fine. If your net is good then it should mostly be fine.

What Famine said. Depending on your and their location, the lag could even be less than playing on the NA server itself. Toronto to London is avg 90ms ping (server to server), Toronto to Brasilia average 180ms ping. Half the lag. Actually from Toronto the whole of Europe has lower ping than to Brazil.

From LA it's a different story, 190ms to Athens, still only slightly more than to Brazil. (still 180ms to Brazil from LA). From LA you can play on the Asia server with similar lag as to South America.

You can check here to see what to expect
https://wondernetwork.com/pings
But you still get your and their ping to your ISP on top of that
Since a couple of years , Brasil have excelent connections and ping. Not only in the state mains cities. Optic fiber is spreaded all over the country.
Just like my small country town in North east Brasil.
11015407362.png

Im in north eastern Ontario and normally the european players have a better ping than the ones in south america.

Last edited:
Since a couple of years , Brasil have excelent connections and ping. Not only in the state mains cities. Optic fiber is spreaded all over the country.
Just like my small country town in North east Brasil.
11015407362.png
That's your own ping to your nearest test server. It takes 3ms to send information there and receive it back.

But you're not playing with a bunch of people crowded round PS4s (or PS5s!) at your nearest test server. You're playing with people throughout the Americas, and the simple addition of distance adds more time to the data round-trip. And data doesn't go in a straight line, it goes where the cables go, which inevitably adds more distance.

You can reasonably expect each 60 miles to account for an additional 1ms of round-trip data time - or latency. The straight line distance from Sao Paulo to New York is nearly 5,000 miles, so you'd expect at least an extra 80ms. However the data path is through a 6,700-mile undersea cable called Seabras-1, which suggests just under 108ms minimum additional lag.

Let's check Ping Statistics right now:

upload_2021-3-1_16-57-49.png

Well, there it is.

Doesn't Sport races use dedicated servers while normal open lobbies rely on Peer 2 Peer?

I noticed that racing online on European Servers usually yelds around 100-200 Ms and around 3 out of 5 bars max. It's far from perfect but it could be worse.

Doesn't Sport races use dedicated servers while normal open lobbies rely on Peer 2 Peer?

I noticed that racing online on European Servers usually yelds around 100-200 Ms and around 3 out of 5 bars max. It's far from perfect but it could be worse.

I think lobbies use one of the players as the host / server and all traffic goes through there. If the host is in a bad spot everyone suffers. When the host has low upload bandwidth you get these situations where you only see a couple people on the track.
Dailies all talk to each other, so your just dealing with distance to each player directly.
FIA servers have the traffic routed to a fast server, which adds distance if that server is not in between you and the next player.

Maybe dailies use those servers as well, the network test ping is to the server. When people use a vpn server to play, it will display the ping time between the GT Sport server and the vpn server used, not the actual ping between you and that player or between the player and the server. The bars you see do indicate the round trip between you and that player, your own bars must be some average measure between you and everyone else or between you and the server.

Anyway in my experience, most lag problems with lobbies, least with FIA races.

FIA races use fixed servers - in Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, Sydney, Tokyo, and Virginia. Dailies and lobbies use various types of P2P.

Off-topic question, sorta -- when we combine regions for Manu this week, will we be matching through Virginia, Sao Paulo, or both?

Off-topic question, sorta -- when we combine regions for Manu this week, will we be matching through Virginia, Sao Paulo, or both?
I did all 5 slots on Wednesday night and I think the answer is both...:)

The first slot was damn near unplayable due to severe lag from the entire field. I don't remember the green bar status of each player as I was too busy trying to adjust to the madness. There were 9 SA players in that lobby.

The next four lobbies went back and forth - NA players had 5 green bars and SA had 1, 2 or 3 bar connections. The next lobby it would be reversed with zero lag the rest of the evening. Slot 2 had 14 NA/CA players, Slot 3 had 11 NA/CA, Slot 4 had 11 NA/CA & Slot 5 had the highest with 15 NA/CA players.

I am not 100% sure but I think slot 3 & 5 had the NA players showing all green bars with Slot 2 & 4 reversed.

:cheers:

Back