Not a fan of the micro transactions or the shady VIP status? Don't blame Turn 10; blame Microsoft

United States
United States
There's been a lot of hate towards the game developers of Forza Motorsport, mainly in regards to certain game choices that steer the title into a game made for micro transactions. Keep in mind that this all relates back to marketing, sales and profit; these are decisions made by the publisher, NOT the developer.

Similar things happen in the movie industry all the time. Directors being forced to alter their films or actors not granted roles due to decisions made by the movie studio - not the film crew themselves.

The irony in all of this is how people speak out in anger towards Turn 10, but then praise Microsoft for being so prompt to refund their purchase.

If you really have an issue with the way the game was marketed (VIP status misleading), or the way it sells (Ultimate Edition being ultimately useless for $100), or the way the game intends to make more profit (micro transactions), then speak up towards Microsoft - the publisher of Forza Motorsport - not the developers that worked day and night to deliver a fantastic game for their fans.

Thank You

I'm not even sure you can blame Microsoft. It's the gaming industry, in general, that's going that way. As long as people keep buying microtransactions, the gaming industry will keep including them. It's still a business and they're going to look for whatever way makes them money, once they stop making money or if it's no longer profitable, then it won't be there.

I wouldn't call the ultimate edition useless.

I think anyone asking for a refund if being pretty dramatic.
The VIP kinda sucks, but it isn't terrible, the day one and hoonigan packs aren't great, but the hoonigans are nice for FH3.
The upcoming dlc will tell if the car pass is worth it or not, but it hasn't been a great start.

After a lot of head scratching I'm beginning to think that the only possible internal justification MS could possibly offer for these shenanigans is that the move to 4K assets and/or the cost of licensing the cars for the game made it unprofitable to them for some reason since unlike as with previous Motorsports they're making money on each platform it's being played on, but that doesn't really make sense even to me. Especially as Microsoft are one of the world's most profitable corporations and are presumably making more money than some small countries.

Granted, I'm pretty clueless about corporate politics and economics but I wonder whether the latest change to their business model has had any knock-on impact on the thinking behind this flabbergasting decision.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the ultimate edition useless.

I think anyone asking for a refund if being pretty dramatic.
The VIP kinda sucks, but it isn't terrible, the day one and hoonigan packs aren't great, but the hoonigans are nice for FH3.
The upcoming dlc will tell if the car pass is worth it or not, but it hasn't been a great start.
I'm looking to get a refund right now, unfortunately since I bought it digitally through Xbox Store my hopes are low.

If I bought it through Amazon not only would I have my money back but they might have even let me keep the game lol

Only game I play that I doesn't have micro transactions is subscription based, I've yet to spring for anything more than DLC.

If people are willing to pay then it's not going away. Also I can see those who are like me whose playing time shrinks as I get older and might throw some money at something in game they want.

I'm looking to get a refund right now, unfortunately since I bought it digitally through Xbox Store my hopes are low.

If I bought it through Amazon not only would I have my money back but they might have even let me keep the game lol
Over VIP?

Over VIP?
Lots of things.

Like the car collection ******** (was in FM2, out for the next 10 years, was in GT5, out for GT6). It's like a worse way of doing unicorns (which I don't like in the first place that much).

The crippling of Rivals is the biggest. The only time I wasn't in Rivals was when I was racing leagues or grinding for XP.

There's been a lot of hate towards the game developers of Forza Motorsport, mainly in regards to certain game choices that steer the title into a game made for micro transactions. Keep in mind that this all relates back to marketing, sales and profit; these are decisions made by the publisher, NOT the developer.

Similar things happen in the movie industry all the time. Directors being forced to alter their films or actors not granted roles due to decisions made by the movie studio - not the film crew themselves.

The irony in all of this is how people speak out in anger towards Turn 10, but then praise Microsoft for being so prompt to refund their purchase.

If you really have an issue with the way the game was marketed (VIP status misleading), or the way it sells (Ultimate Edition being ultimately useless for $100), or the way the game intends to make more profit (micro transactions), then speak up towards Microsoft - the publisher of Forza Motorsport - not the developers that worked day and night to deliver a fantastic game for their fans.

Thank You
Well you got Dan Greenwaldt defending the VIP expiry and you have threads being deleted in the official Forza Motorsp forums which complain about microtransactions, loot boxes and increased grind so no, I'm not going to blame Microsoft solely.

Guys, I am not mad at anyone over the fact that this is the way it is, I am mad (and everyone should be) that this was hidden from a lot of us early purchasers...funny, this is something that is big enough that it should have been mentioned in all their talk about the game, but after a lot of pre-orders and after the game is available to play we get, "oh, in the midst of all the talk about the great features of the game did we forget to mention the smelly turd aspect of it to you guys? JEEPERS, we talked about so much about the game in the lead up to launch I guess we just plumb did forget about it, oh well!"

Well you got Dan Greenwaldt defending the VIP expiry and you have threads being deleted in the official Forza Motorsp forums which complain about microtransactions, loot boxes and increased grind so no, I'm not going to blame Microsoft solely.

Exactly. One has to remember they are a first-party studio with as much business interest as their parent company, like it or not but they are not your friend.

I would really love it if these guys release a game without controversy without trying to get one over their fanbase.

I personally would have no issue with the VIP thing if they made it clear that there are changes this time around... why is that so bad?

Either they didnt communicate with their PR dept so its either incompetance or malice.

I dont get it. Why do these people have to be so slimy? I dont even mind if the thing is expensive as all get out... just give what people pay for.

Instead they have to charge the same, change the terms after they get caught out and pretend its no big deal.

The list of questionable decisions extends pretty far this time around and we havent got to the PC issues yet...

Back