Not a fan of the new HUD

• Thread starter 7Sins
  • 15 comments
I am slowly getting used to the new layout even though it is very busy but my main gripe is the horizontal rev meter. I absolutely hate it.

- I can't tell when to change gears because it flashes too early (there is still more to rev out with the car(s)
- I have never been a fan of digital speedometers/tachometers (for example: Honda S2000)
- I would rather needles on the tacho/speedo than the two circles that fill up (this is far superior for peripheral vision)

I can gauge so much better with the old analogue looking dials - it is more familiar and it has ALWAYS worked well. From GT3 up to GT6 the HUD has always changed but it has kept that same feel. There is absolutely no need to take up almost a third of the bottom half of the screen for a head-up-display.

I am slowly getting used to the new layout even though it is very busy but my main gripe is the horizontal rev meter. I absolutely hate it.

- I can't tell when to change gears because it flashes too early (there is still more to rev out with the car(s)
- I have never been a fan of digital speedometers/tachometers (for example: Honda S2000)
- I would rather needles on the tacho/speedo than the two circles that fill up (this is far superior for peripheral vision)

I can gauge so much better with the old analogue looking dials - it is more familiar and it has ALWAYS worked well. From GT3 up to GT6 the HUD has always changed but it has kept that same feel. There is absolutely no need to take up almost a third of the bottom half of the screen for a head-up-display.
I also don't like it but it is there to stay so we just need to work with what we have.

I love the new tachometer! You can redline it without even looking at it.

One of the things which struck me from the Lewis Hamilton clip was that he’d never redline it, shifting calmly and on time. So if the most competitive driver in the world doesn’t need to over rev his motor, then you’re probably looking for an advantage in the wrong place.

I was kinda ok with the hud but now that PD decided we need a huge blaring red sentence across the screen letting you know you only have 1 lap to go before your tank goes empty just drives me up a WALL, I can't stand it. They really need to let us customize this HUD big time. It's downright archaic when compared to the HUD options available in a game like Project Cars 2.

The "bumper cam" view has dials. It's not the needles, but I think it's easy enough to see.

Yep, I always use bumper-view. It is becoming second nature.

One of the things which struck me from the Lewis Hamilton clip was that he’d never redline it, shifting calmly and on time. So if the most competitive driver in the world doesn’t need to over rev his motor, then you’re probably looking for an advantage in the wrong place.

Very true.

I kind of like it, it's very useful for me because I don't have to look at the gauge, just notice the flashing light with my peripheral vision.

And honestly, after many kms driving the same cars, I can tell when to shift up by listening to the sound(which is why I think any RPM gauge on most of everyday cars is redundant), the V12 Vantage Gt3 is great in this regard because the exhaust note changes a little bit right on time to shift up, it's great!

I love the new tachometer! You can redline it without even looking at it.

Thats the first thing I noticed about that video!

Mind you, the AMG makes good power down low - still, when he did that I thought he was saving fuel...but there was no need, it was a time trial. After discovering the big difference shortshifting (and coasting) makes to fuel and tyre savings, it makes me wonder how much I gain by waiting that fraction after the redline starts flashing to change.

Have to agree unfortunately. Love the new hud, but also not my favorite by any means. My most hated part about it is the MOTEC(?) display - in the middle in bumper cam but off to the right in every other view. Completely negates the radar...app?...since the only time you'll stare at that corner is in a straight or turning right. I prefer roof cam as it gives me a better central view of what the car is doing, but hate it in Sport mode since I hate to be the ass causing crashes.

As for the rev bar, not my favorite but it's nice for the faster cars as it gives a visual cue to shift points VS looking at a tach. Waaaaaaay off for slower cars like the Miata though. Being able to setup the hud to your liking would be very welcoming - I HATE cluttered huds, just give me laps, position, split-time pop ups, and the vitals and I'll be happy.

I have noticed that the horizontal rpm gauge appears to adjust its peak based on the cars torque curve, sometimes several hundred rpms from the cars true redline. This appears to be done on purpose to help guide players to shift at the right time to keep each car in its peak torque curve. After all, torque is what allows you to accelerate.

The HUD needs major improvements.
Currently we have 3 presets to choose from. The first preset to me is by far overwhelming with information, as I would like to keep the information as minimal as possible to increase immersivity.

The issue is that the second preset does NOT allow to adjust any car setting on the fly (so no TCS, no brake balance, no fuel map). That makes this preset basically useless during endurance races where fuel map setting is a key factor.

The ideal would be to introduce a custom HUD where we could choose which items to display, and maybe also where to place them on the screen.

Another nice addition would be to introduce a sort of “ghost” option for the setting items (brake, TCS, fuel map). The item is normally not shown, however when we push the directional button, the item appears, we are able to select the right parameter, after few seconds of being idle the item disappears again.
Will be easy, simple and functional.

I am sure they are thinking to implement something like this, they have good design directors over there (do they, right?)

Last edited:
Personally my favorite HUD was from GT2. Simple and it got the job done. From GT3 onward, it got unnecessarily complex. Honestly. We don't need a reminder that we are in manual or automatic transmission. I was also never a fan of GT4-GT6's horizontal gauge. Always preferred GT1-GT3 with its needle.

I like this HUD, in bumper view it reminds me a lot like some of the street motorcycle dash. But if I were to make a custom HUD, I'd make it somewhat similar to Sidekick mod in Assetto Corsa.

As for the rev limit, each car differs, sometimes you can let it flash longer as it continues to reach peak rev, and some cars you have to shift the moment it turns blue or flashes at least once, and some cars such as street cars you shift before it even reaches max.

Back