Not all rappers are empty headed...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter smellysocks12
  • 16 comments
  • 872 views
Messages
1,766
Just to prove this here is a really deep interview with upcoming New York rapper Saigon about the current state of hiphop. The record industry, racists, the position of women in hiphop are all being discussed. Don't forget to read part 1 of the interview by clicking at the link on top:

http://www.blackelectorate.com/articles.asp?ID=1420

A lot to discuss and an interesting read.
 
mc chris has it right, as far as I'm concerned. Rap is the biggest lie and BS front in the entire world.

Rappers today make it for all the wrong reasons, and are really just marketing pawns.
 
Omnis
mc chris has it right, as far as I'm concerned. Rap is the biggest lie and BS front in the entire world.

Rappers today make it for all the wrong reasons, and are really just marketing pawns.

You're generalizing here buddy, you can say this about any mainstream artist. Now if you would have said "mainstream rap / rappers" I would have agreed with you. Don't generalize an entire genre, because you will just make yourself look ignorant.
 
That's exactly what I said. Aren't you reading? Again, I'm not being ignorant, i'm just stating the facts. mc chris stands by his word, and he's a rapper as well. But then again, the fact that rap is such a BS front is what makes it so good. That's the case with what I listen to, anyway. It's humorous when virgin rappers write about all the girls they get. I'm just saying that a lot of rappers make it on marketing image rather than their actual character, qualities, and content. this can be applied to a lot of other artists in different genres, but, for the purpose of this thread I've singled rap out among the many.
 
Rappers aren't empty headed, there's gotta be a whole lot of dead cells rattling around up there from all the crack cocaine and dope. That must add some weight at least.

Tupac would definately be fairly empty headed by now, apart from some "dirty thoughts".

Only joking, nice interview Smelly. :)
 
Omnis
That's exactly what I said. Aren't you reading? Again, I'm not being ignorant, i'm just stating the facts. mc chris stands by his word, and he's a rapper as well. But then again, the fact that rap is such a BS front is what makes it so good. That's the case with what I listen to, anyway. It's humorous when virgin rappers write about all the girls they get. I'm just saying that a lot of rappers make it on marketing image rather than their actual character, qualities, and content. this can be applied to a lot of other artists in different genres, but, for the purpose of this thread I've singled rap out among the many.

I misunderstood your post then, sorry.
 
Compared to a Rolling Stone interview with a few guys from Wu Tang that I read, this guy sounds like a Nobel prize winner. However he still doesn't sound all that intelligent.

Just smarter than your average rapper.

That's not to say that your average rocker sounds all that smart, either.
 
Duke
Compared to a Rolling Stone interview with a few guys from Wu Tang that I read, this guy sounds like a Nobel prize winner. However he still doesn't sound all that intelligent.

Just smarter than your average rapper.

That's not to say that your average rocker sounds all that smart, either.


I never said that the guy is a genius, as a matter of fact I disagree with some of his views, but at least he knows to express his opinion with arguments.


By the way, the wu tang clan has some very intelligent members as well. RZA being one of them, the mastermind behind it all and a smart businessperson. Of course you also had the crackheaded ODB who didn't bring much intelligence to the table.
 
smellysocks12
By the way, the wu tang clan has some very intelligent members as well. RZA being one of them, the mastermind behind it all and a smart businessperson. Of course you also had the crackheaded ODB who didn't bring much intelligence to the table.
That's who it was in Rolling Stone - RZA. In all honesty, in 3 or 4 pages of print he literally didn't sound smart enough to zip his fly or come in out of the rain. He may have somehow negotiated a great contract, but that was all he could do. Everything he said just sounded so incredibly stupid that I wondered how he had survived to adulthood. I'm being literal here.

They had him analyzing and explaining some of his own lyrics. Maybe it's just the style of speech I can't get past, or what, I don't know, but he sounded like a complete waste of breathing air.
 
that or the reporters just improvised on his behalf. :lol:
 
Depends on what rappers. Some are empty headed, some not.

G, G, G, G-UNNNNIT.
 
James2097
Rappers aren't empty headed, there's gotta be a whole lot of dead cells rattling around up there from all the crack cocaine and dope. That must add some weight at least.

Tupac would definately be fairly empty headed by now, apart from some "dirty thoughts".

Only joking, nice interview Smelly. :)

Not all rapper use drugs. Sure some have but you can't say everyone of them has done cocaine and other drugs. They may rap about it but not actually have done. As for 2Pac would definately be fairly empty headed by now I don't believe that. Sure he rapped about the women he had sex with and violence but he also rapped about stuff going on in the world and how it should change and about how women need to be treated with respect and not beaten and put down. He also wrote lots of poetry and from what I have read he was very deep and a very good poet.
 
2Pac definitely had a strong personality, that's the main reason why he sold so many records. He didn't have great skills on the microphone, not at all. His personality plus marketing were a great combination.


I don't think he was too intelligent though, he just spoke his mind, that's all.
 
Mos Def is the only rapper i can think of with some serious talent for rhyming. The rest just make beats, IMO.
 
they don't even do that most of the time, either. Del Tha Funky Homosapien is by far the most intelligent rapper to my knowledge. I respect him a lot, both for him and for what he creates. MC Paul Barman is another one of those intellectuals and can rhyme just about anything with something else.
 
Giancarlo
Mos Def is the only rapper i can think of with some serious talent for rhyming. The rest just make beats, IMO.

👍
I agree that mos def is a very articulate(sp?) and smart rapper, but he is not one of the only rappers with serious rhyming talent, just look at the rest of Black Star(Talib Kweli and Common).There are many talented rappers who dont drone on about the same old crap, you just have to look somewhere other than BET or MTV, where all they show now is the "Crunk Muzik" sorry if i sound dunmb or something, but its 1:00am and i'm tired.
 
umfogotmyname21
Not all rapper use drugs. Sure some have but you can't say everyone of them has done cocaine and other drugs. They may rap about it but not actually have done. As for 2Pac would definately be fairly empty headed by now I don't believe that. Sure he rapped about the women he had sex with and violence but he also rapped about stuff going on in the world and how it should change and about how women need to be treated with respect and not beaten and put down. He also wrote lots of poetry and from what I have read he was very deep and a very good poet.

A Prime example of this is the 2Pac track "Keep ya head up" and for some odd reason I am starting to like "Ghetto Gospal."
 
Back