Not another tire thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prototyp3
  • 5 comments
  • 671 views

Prototyp3

(Banned)
Messages
397
United States
Oregon
I read Calan's post about tires in GT5 and walked away very impressed.

His findings work very well if you are trying to find tires that would best fit a stock car and are looking to have it's stock tires on it.

I was wondering which tires would be the most "realistic" if I wanted to take a stock car to a track and race it for lap times.

Changing nothing but the tires, what would be the best racing/time trial set for a stock car?


If it helps, imagine that you are taking a car to a race track in real life for the day. Which tires would you change to for a time trial, and what would the GT5 equivalent be?

I ask because after reading Calan's post I switched to CM for my stock Mclaren F1 and I admit it was very fun. the problem is that most of my times on my personal rankings are all set w/ RS (I know) and the CM tires simply can't touch those times no matter how hard I try.

What I'd like is to be able to use a better tire than what is considered stock for the car, i.e. CM, but at the same time not go so far into the other end that I'm using RS, which I'm beginning to believe are 100% unrealistic in GT5.

Any tips in the right direction for a good and at least semi-realistic racing tire are much appreciated.
 
You can always erase your rankings. You said it yourself, the RS lap times are probably a bunch of hooey, so why not just start over with CM times?

Besides that, I suppose Sport Hards would be somewhat close to what you're looking for, since Comfort Softs likely aren't going to bust into the rankings either. Particularly for higher performance machines like the McLaren.
 
I currently drive and club race a 1990 Jag XJS V-12, it sticks to the road like glue on replacement Michelins. I used to own and club race a 1968 Jag XKE, series 1 with the 4.2 liter 6, the same series one in GT5 only a few years newer and a convertable. On OEM Pirellis it also stuck like glue, both on the track and the street. Very much unlike the tail happy car depicted in GT5. The game does a terrible job with tires, you are unlikely to find any one set that acts true to life in all situations on all cars.
 
You can always erase your rankings. You said it yourself, the RS lap times are probably a bunch of hooey, so why not just start over with CM times?

Besides that, I suppose Sport Hards would be somewhat close to what you're looking for, since Comfort Softs likely aren't going to bust into the rankings either. Particularly for higher performance machines like the McLaren.
Ya, I 've been thinking about erasing my rankings. I've done it before it get rid of all the times I had set w/ race cars. I'll look into SportsHard.

I currently drive and club race a 1990 Jag XJS V-12, it sticks to the road like glue on replacement Michelins. I used to own and club race a 1968 Jag XKE, series 1 with the 4.2 liter 6, the same series one in GT5 only a few years newer and a convertable. On OEM Pirellis it also stuck like glue, both on the track and the street. Very much unlike the tail happy car depicted in GT5. The game does a terrible job with tires, you are unlikely to find any one set that acts true to life in all situations on all cars.

I understand that the tires are never going to be as good as real life. I was just thinking about when people go to the track in real life they put on better tires then the ones they wear on the road. I was trying to find something similar to that and use those for when I'm trying to set fast times.
 
Nice man. I read through your post. It seems interesting for sure but as some other members pointed out there seems to be conflicting info on tires. Which just makes this all the more confusing.

I have a feeling that I'll be in the sports tire range for when I want to push the McLaren F1.
 
Back