Not sure where to put this, regarding the F&F game SMS is working on.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 0 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
I was curious about this project in general, especially since I think movie licenses (and indeed, the concept of licensed videogames in general) could help a lot with subsidizing the budget of a game. I think it's especially fascinating that SMS really broke into racing games with the two NFS Shift games, and before Shift, you had the two Underground games from EA Black Box, which in turn were inspired by the F&F franchise and its emerging popularity at the time. So I think that funny enough, things could be sort of coming full circle, especially since it seems that SMS has a decently-sized bone to pick with NFS and EA.

Now, having a background in ecology & evolutionary biology, I do admit I'm a fan of competition, especially within a niche. I understand that SMS seems to be largely focused on racing games with a more realistic sort of angle, such as CodeMasters' Grid series, Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport, and Gran Turismo - but what if SMS could make a solid NFS competitor?

I think they're in a very good position to do so. There's not much that seems to be competing with NFS, and SMS doesn't seem so tightly-bound by stakeholders like EA is. They could take inspiration not only from NFS, but from other street racing IPs from all over the world, like Juiced, Midnight Club, and Shutokou Battle. One idea that especially sticks out to me is evolving the territory mechanic from NFS Carbon, especially making it part of the online ecosystem. It could lead into some serious emergent gameplay, like one would see in the Planetside games or EVE Online. Another thing I really liked from that same game was the challenge cards. You had four challenges per card, and each challenge would have its own reward. Upon completing all four challenges to fill in a card, you'd get an additional reward. Said cards would sometimes have a common motif, too.

But otherwise, I implore that you ask me some questions about this hypothetical NFS-competitor's design, as I'll admit that I have had quite a few ideas for stuff that could either appear in NFS, or a similar IP.

Latest Posts

Back