NTSC - Hybriding in AR MAX and GS

• Thread starter Alexxis
  • 21 comments
Canada
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia
Lexxicorn
K so I'm totally new.
It appears this was a LOT easier back when I did this in GT2 then it has become now.
So I wanna start small only problem is I have Gameshark and AR MAX both say they are for PS2 but neither of them have a version on the box or in their software. BOTH are capable of updating codes from the net and both can copy game saves from a memory onto a USB stick or drive if you plug them in. The Gameshark has the Playstation 2 media player included and the AR MAX has a thingy called DVD RegionX on it. Other than that I can't see anything in the settings that tells me what version they are.

Anyway cut to the chase.
This new way to hybrid looks a bit more complex. Though I have no problem endlessly resetting and mindlessly plugging in codes till I get what I want.
So I figured I'd try starting out light. and blam roadblock immediately.
The only codes I can find are PAL. Search for NTSC and I get a festival of people who spell like twelve year olds and beg people for game saves but no actual response on codes for NTSC.

Unless they are identical to the Mem locations (Which I highly doubt). There are so many lists and codes and everyone has gone through and done such a wonderful job... but I'm not from europe... or anyother place with PAL sets.

Now I'm not asking anyone to make me a game save and I'm actually modding on a real PS2 not an emulator. (It seems a lot of these hacks are a LOT easier when it's already on your PC but I don't have a PS2 emulator and don't mind doing it on my tv and PS2) so NTSC part codes are what I'm looking for... and for now all I really wanna do is try to get one thing done.

I wanna get the CVT from the Prius into... well anything else. I have a theory on the fact that it's dash is attached to it's transmission. Namely, there's another hybrid in the game (the honda insight) and it has a 5 speed and thus the normal tach and speedo gauges.

Both Priuses (priusii?) have a neat little "hybrid" dash that shows speed, total fuel consumption and what part of which is powering the car (as well as the battery pack charge level). But if you mod them and put in a custom transmission (I think it becomes a five speed) that reverts to the normal set of gauges.

I have a theory that the extra boost of the battery pack and generator are linked with the prius' CVT and thus changes the gauges, so if you gave the CVT to another vehicle it would likely change the dash.

I'm 100% sure but I think it'd be a neat way to break the ice on modding in GT4. Plus part of me wants to see that fuel consumption gauge rocket up on something like the tank car. :lol:

Then again that gauge set may be completely seperate and provisioned to those cars specifically... though that seems counter productive cause then every other car would have to have an entry that tells it not to put the gauges there and prius' transmission mod would be the only one that caused the provisioning on those specific cars to change so I'm kinda going on a hunch they went the easy way.

Anyway I don't want any save files or anything because I tend to mod things weird and stupid not for the purpose of fast or even always fun sometimes it's only fun to me lol. So I'd rather do it myself. Does anyone know where I can find NTSC part codes and a decently laid out walkthrough on swapping parts in gameshark or AR MAX?

Truly appreciated,
Lexx

P.S. If you read through the whole thing, thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

I've seen the PAL codes, haven't tried converting them at all. So far all the NTSC hybriding I've done myself was done using the (old faithfull and very painfull) method of PC emulation:

-select car in PS2 gt4, save game
-use armax/codebreaker to export to usb
-run pcsx2 and delete old gt4 save (on pc)
-use ps2savebuilder to convert your PS2 savegame to .max (if needed)
-mymc import PS2 gamesave from usb onto pcsx2 "memory card"
-run pcsx2 and phaste (or emuhaste for pcsx2 9.4)
-when you get to garage, hit Start (brings you to parts/tuning screen)
-enter codes, switch between setups A,B,C to see if things took effect
-save game in pcsx2 (not changing cars the entire time)
-export savegame w/ mymc from pcsx2 savegame
-use ps2savebuilder to convert from .max to appropriate format (if needed)
-put savegame on usb, and transfer back to PS2
-play gt4, tune, enjoy!!

takes a while for me to make a hybrid, but usually I'll put a codelist together of what parts I want modded, save to a text file (for later reference too). Copy and paste the txt file into phaste and call it a day. Now I just use tekno's app for generating the codes (cept for suspension, still needs to add that in lmao!!!).

PS. The PS2/PC Emulation method isn't necessarily harder, its just more tedious and time consuming. but It's tried and true form of hybriding.

-l8r

I don't think that my computer has the power to run the emulator (It grinds on N64 and PS1 emu's as it is) and my usb stick died the other day and I'm too lazy (and cash strapped leading into xmas) to get a new one right now. Has anyone been able to succesfully hybrid on the console itself?

Truly,
Lexx

With a lot of help from Speed Drifter, I may get through with NTSC codes tonight ( I just got them)......so by tomorrow I may have good news for you!!

Sweet thanks for any help.
I'm willing to do what I can too... just let me know if there's anything I can do to help?

Truly,
Lexx

It's wonderful to see new people getting interested in GT4 hybriding :)

If you're really into it I suggest you to read those two major threads we've been posting into, they should have all the info you need to know how to start. Or at least info about where to find the info you need.. :lol:

To cut it short, get the Hybrid swapper app by Teknogeek to get an easy start
http://hosted.filefront.com/teknogeek1300/2100423

Then, you want to get the maxconvert v0.71 (google should help) so you'll be able to convert the codes Hybrid swapper spits out

After that you probably want to know the memory locations we (or at least me) are currently aware of
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2809703&postcount=1051

sucahyo's website has got almost all part values there are so it comes in handy as well..

Then onto the Prius question, you guessed it right. Prius' HUD is linked to its transmission (values 0E28 and 0E29, latter being the one in '02 model) and I believe the Insight works the same way.

I've been desperately trying to get Prius' transmission to accept second gear but haven't had any luck yet.. At least it's possible to change the gear/final drive ratios if you need to.
Also you need massive power (600-800 HP) to get any wheelspin (or good acceleration) on the Prius which is pretty weird :D

I can get the tires to chirp on either prius, stock but that's it. The Insight has a standard dash but it shouldn't take much more than a couple hundred horsepower to get a chirp out of any tires. Then again I suppose it's entirely dependant on final drive. A CVT doesn't have Infinite ratios... just infinite enough for daily use lol. but thanks for the info. I was having a really hard time sifting through all the posts to find the NTSC info I need and the search is no help at all...

I guess I should just stop being so darn lazy :lol:

Truly,
Lexx

Speed Drifter was correct.... The NTSC codes from the Teknogeek's File swapper works, you just have to add in 4 0's (0000) before the last four characters (eg. the code you will see is: xxxxxxxx xxxx ... what you would enter is: xxxxxxxx 0000xxxx) , then you have to use the MAXconvert converter Speed Drifter mentioned..
I started doing a few Hybrids last night, sometimes the game froze, then when I tried it back it worked.................BUT, after a couple times switching from the Gameshark disc to the GT4 disc, the drawer on the PS2 stuck closed so I had to stop everything....I'm sending my PS2 to get fixed today

Last night I built a 956hp Mazda Demio with a 4 Rotar engine (from the 787B), with 4WD, and a 7gear Tranny......it's AWESOME

Ok so if I understood that...
I should get the code from teckno's program and then convert it to GS with the MAXconvert program... (after adding four zeros to the beginning of the second set) and then enter it into the game shark... and this should edit the part on the first car in the garage of GT4. it isn't that different from modding GT2 except the converter part... I'm gonna try a few and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Truly,
Lexx

ok so NTSC seems to work. I got the CVT into the Cien. (Just randomly picked her right off the bat) here's the problem... once she get's up over 80 kph I can take my finger off of X and she continues to drive... right up to her redline where she sits banging against her limiter... at 153 kph >.<
There's plenty of peeling but I thought the CVT was supposed to hold the engine at it's peak... there must be another part from the prius that limits that... cause otherwise this isn't going to be much fun lol.
Just to verify it's not just because the Cien has ridiculous power I got the same result from a Mustang GT (FR, at 300 hp, topped out at 143 kph), PT Cruiser (FF, at 150 hp , topped out at 120 kph), Ford Ka (FF, at 67 HP, topped out at 97 kph), Honda Life Step Van (FF, at 30 HP, topped out at 50 kph).
Here's the weird thing. Take my thumb off of X and it holds the speed all on it's own and the engine display shows that neither the engine nor the battery nor the generator is powering the wheels. and yet I can hear the engine bouncing it's rev limiter. It's a little confusing. I'll investigate further... lemme know if you guys have any advice for ironing this one out >.<

Truly,
Lexx

Seems like you found out it yourself..
I forgot to tell you about that little "bug" how the accelerator gets sort of stuck. :D
Don't know what causes it but even "stock" Prius does it when the revs go high enough, or when you've got enough power under the hood.

Remember to change the gear ratios when implanting the tranny into another vehicle to get the most out of it.

Default ratios are
Reverse & 1st gear: 03E8 (1.000)
Final drive: 1011 (4.113)

That's great that you got through Lexx. Sucahyo, Teknogeek and Speed drifter are good guys..........when I get back my PS2 from the repair shop I'll resume my hybridding and I'll let you guys know about any glitches that I come across.........THANKS!

It's wonderful to see new people getting interested in GT4 hybriding :)

If you're really into it I suggest you to read those two major threads we've been posting into, they should have all the info you need to know how to start. Or at least info about where to find the info you need.. :lol:

To cut it short, get the Hybrid swapper app by Teknogeek to get an easy start
http://hosted.filefront.com/teknogeek1300/2100423

Then, you want to get the maxconvert v0.71 (google should help) so you'll be able to convert the codes Hybrid swapper spits out

After that you probably want to know the memory locations we (or at least me) are currently aware of
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2809703&postcount=1051

sucahyo's website has got almost all part values there are so it comes in handy as well..

Then onto the Prius question, you guessed it right. Prius' HUD is linked to its transmission (values 0E28 and 0E29, latter being the one in '02 model) and I believe the Insight works the same way.

I've been desperately trying to get Prius' transmission to accept second gear but haven't had any luck yet.. At least it's possible to change the gear/final drive ratios if you need to.
Also you need massive power (600-800 HP) to get any wheelspin (or good acceleration) on the Prius which is pretty weird :D

i put a m5 engine with a supercharger and all supporting mods making 950hp and there is no wheel spin at all. it uses the battery pack from the get go and its slow. :nervous:

So, as a spectator hoping for a successor to old MK's excellent program, I'm more than a bit confused about all the hybriding in GT4. It looks... complicated. What would one need to do to get into it with the ancient old SharkPort?

So, as a spectator hoping for a successor to old MK's excellent program, I'm more than a bit confused about all the hybriding in GT4. It looks... complicated. What would one need to do to get into it with the ancient old SharkPort?

SharkPort eh? That spits out .xps files that gt3gedit used? Well, if you want to bring the savegame over to the PC, you'll need to run a emulator (pcsx2 the 92 version and Phaste). It's a time consuming process, as there is no "program" to edit the saves (due to the encryption on the savegames). However we can modify the cars real-time with the pcsx2/phaste combo (check the thread @ the top towards the end). Gameshark modding could be another alternative, since it seems easier (lol, don't mind me I just like using 3.5ghz+4gb ram as a excuse to hybrid on my pc =P ). Any q's ask or PM me. hth, l8r

Back