Nuova Lancia Ypsilon prototype...

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 17 comments
... apparently leaked lol

Official website now has a section for it. Leak looks real because the circular tray is here too.
1702675884269.png

Hopefully it will be more differentiated than Corsa/208. Lancia doesn't have to go super unique at first IMO, but I hope at least next models will be more interesting It seems that case because Stratos and Gamma are coming back; brave to bring back Gamma nameplate because that has bad rust and reliability reputation. But Lancia improved those and some of their models are very reliable. I actually think that Lancia has undeserved reputation for unreliability and unremarkabilty since Fiat takeover (IMO current Y is beautiful and restrained little hatch even with reduced last year customization) but I also partly agree that rep is justified especially the latter.

I wonder if this means that Stellantis is planning to actually bring Lancia back out into the wider world again, instead of it being an Italian-only thing because there's still sentimental value for the marque there.

Also interesting about bringing back the Gamma name, as from what I've read the main issue with the car wasn't so much rust as it was having an engine that had a design flaw that made it throw its cam belts (and apparently the gearbox was a carbon copy of a British Leyland design, so that's another big yikes).

Last edited:
I wonder if this means that Stellantis is planning to actually bring Lancia back out into the wider world again, instead of it being an Italian-only thing because there's still sentimental value for the marque there.

Also interesting about bringing back the Gamma name, as from what I've read the main issue with the car wasn't so much rust as it was having an engine that had a design flaw that made it throw its cam belts (and apparently the gearbox was a carbon copy of a British Leyland design, so that's another big yikes).
I dont understand if its Stellantis who decides or its the brands choice to which market it goes.

Yes, Gamma had a flawed engine design in first series that could kill it in a cold morning. Nobody wants to miss work due to destroyed engine because of simply turning the wheel too much. Lancia (including Gamma to some extent) with time became more reliable and less rusty than early Beta, but sadly was affected by rust rep way more than Alfasud rust issues did to AR. Alfasud rusted but Alfa was able to improve its reputation by 90s, while Lancia was more reliable yet it failed to prove itself.

------------

One thing I don't understand is when people expect smaller scale brand to go boom Stratos, Delta, Fulvia etc on the first year of comeback. It makes much more sense to return slowly and with safer model like Y. People expect way too much and don't want to give a chance at all. I would love exotic Lancia and Lancia in motorsport too but its not easy. 208/Corsa platform is quite good, yet people complain about that while many people forget Delta had same platform as Ritmo and it turned out well. I expect the sportiest Y to be e-Ypsilon with 136PS like e208. I expect at least 75% of next Lancias to be less bespoke SUVs but looking at Alfa Romeo and Maserati they bring money for wonderful Ghibli, QP and Giulia facelifts and of course 33 Stradale, MC12, mk2 GranTurismo etc. I think that same is needed for next Stratos, HFs, Integrales or even stuff like Thesis.

Does the article mention something about them only making 1906 units? Cute founding date reference aside, I fail to see the point. I could massively be misreading it however, as Google's translation is a little messy.

EDIT: Found an English version of the site, its just a specific edition that is limited, which makes far more sense.

Last edited:
Dunno about the front but that shade of blue suits the car very well; it reminds me of the dark blue that Lancia used a long time ago but it's deeper.

The front end looks weird but I like weird so that's OK. It would be fantastic if this car raced in the WRC next year.

Mid section should have been more structured and simplified, front and rear feel bit of tacked on. Overall, I like it very much and it looks better than 208 and Corsa facelifts. Hopefully there will be huge number of customization like previous Ys. HF version would also be cool even as an EV or hybrid.

Finally revealed fully lol I wonder when will postreveal-reveal other color options including non Cassina version be shown.

Last edited:
Do I see fabric seats? That’s dope. Bring ‘em back!
According to official Italian website its velvet with cannelloni pattern. Lancia used to put velvet in many models, maybe even last Y in some years. I wonder why fabric seats went away, especially velour

According to official Italian website its velvet with cannelloni pattern. Lancia used to put velvet in many models, maybe even last Y in some years. I wonder why fabric seats went away, especially velour
Too cool.

Would make for good research. Especially since leather was reserved for the driver and the plush fabrics for the coach. General Motors were so good at it.

Velvet in Lancias of yore was a point of pride for many owners here before Alcantara and Poltrona Frau leather took its place, and they were so confortable! Glad that they're bringing it back for the new Ypsilon.

Didn't see any mention of it in this thread, but the interior is surprisingly classy for its modest price point.
Lancia's interiors are underrated generally, at least until mid 00s. Lybra's interior looks classy and underrated (IMO better than competition including German), Dedra had lovely digital interior, Beta's interior is very high quality comparing to most of competition; and those are just post-FIAT takeover. Lancia used good materials and had interesting colors. For example Ypsilon had immense customization options which no competition offered. Lancia was doing what Maserati does with Furoiserie but cheaper.

Back