Nurb 24hr a-spec report

Question - How many forum readers have done the ring 24 hour without using b-spec? Please respond. :)
If you intended to complete this race a-spec and didn't, why? :nervous:

Car choice: I chose to drive the Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd race car because its fast and a challenge if you want to push the vehicle to its limit. I didn't spend too much time setting the car up either.

Suspension: default
LSD: 6:58:7
Gears: final - 4812, Auto - 21
Brakes: fr 14, Rear 11
Stage 4 Turbo
BHP 1126, Weight 900kg
ASM & TCS on
Tyres: Race - rear superhard, front hard.
Driving Force Pro wheel used.

I could have chosen a vehicle (or setup) that handled better and pitted less and had a much easier race, but I didn't want to get too bored through the process.

Realtime managment:
24 hours plus pause time during pit stops, plus need to eat sleep etc.
I ran this over three days. Finished work sunday at 4:00pm. Started race at 8PM sunday night. Four hours race completed at 1am monday morning. Sleep untill 6am, race through monday with breaks for breakfast, (watched pokemon), lunch and 1 hour nap, dinner (watched DR Who), and finished at 1am tuesday morning with 15 hour 38 minutes racing complete. Slept and rose at 5:30 am. Drove with similar breakfast and lunch breaks untill 24 hours (and a few seconds) were complete at 5:15 tuesday night. In real time my playstation ran 45.25 hours, paused at the pitstop for all breaks. There was no noticeable problem with running the ps2 for that long. 👍

The race:
For the first eight hours or so I had the same tactic, how fast could I go? With a
pit every three laps the best lap time was 6'12.343. eight hours of high level concentration, even with a break to sleep is very tiring. I decided to pace myself a little and went about setting a constant lap time around 6'30 seconds.
the more relaxed pace bore results in the terms of lap time on lap 90, 9 hours and fifty four minutes into the race when i got a lap of 6'10.565.
Halfway! at 12 hours race time, 24 hours realtime 109 laps complete. i would have had nearly an extra lap but lost concentration when i battled the fto lm at the end of a lap and forgot to pit. I ran out of gas about a third of the way around the track and had to do the rest at 80km per hour. This one lap took about 10.5 minutes and I had my lead reduced by a Lap.
At 13:10', end of lap 119 My best lap went to 6'09.645. I would drive a while at normal pace, lapping about 6'25.xxx and throw in a few faster attempts now and again. the next lap record was about hour 17 race time and this was the best lap (#171) 6'08.555
Complete: 217 Laps in 24hr and a few seconds. I lapped at nine laps per hour plus one extra lap. The closest of the opposition, BMW m series race car completed 192 laps, 25 less than me.
I won my Green/Yellow gt formula car all by my self!!! No human or B-spec help.

If you wish to do this there are a few things I would advise.
You need three days realtime. Pick an interesting drive, one where you can both challenge yourself, and win easily enough.
I didn't worry about the amount of A-Spec points I got (1 point).
the maths worked like this BMW did exactly eight laps per hour at an average rate of 7'30.xxx. You need to be able to EASILY produce an AVERAGE lap time that includes both ends of the pitstops that will beat that. In other words don't do the race if you cant better this rate of laps.
Don't worry about your playstation, unless it is already faulty.
Choose music you like from the jukebox, music can really help with inspiration an rhythm in a race.

Why did I do this A-Spec? - My ten year old son can complete this easily without driving, (B-Spec), drivers should be able to do better than this!

The experience is tiring and I slept for a couple of extra hours the next few days to recuperate. This exercise should give a good indication to the stresses, both physical and mental, that occur with such a lengthy undertaking. Completion gives you a very real buzz!!!

Happy racing, please feel free to ask any questions, I can only log on occaisionally but will try to respond to any serious query!

Mr.Slow
Rock on dude!

I was half thinking about doing this but now I will definetely attempt it..

Same here, though I think I'm going to have a "pit crew" and do it all in one sitting ... except maybe bathroom breaks. But I can eat and stretch during pit stops.

My pit crew would be my room mate and fiance. They've both commited to bringing me food and talking to me while I race.

Now I just need to find a highly competetive car for my skill level so it doesn't become a blow-out race in the first hour or so. I suppose anything I choose is going to drastically loose horse power during the course of the race and therefore be slightly slower toward the end. But surely I'll have so mastered the course by then that my times will actually be faster. Who knows! Who cares! It's going to be fun!

Perhaps a weekend run, saturday / sunday, from 8pm to 8pm. Then sleep HARD so I'm well rested for monday morning work (:

Good luck, I went for four hours then ten hours roughly for each of the next 2 days, 12 hours a day may be too much without a second driver :) foghorn

LoudMusic
Same here, though I think I'm going to have a "pit crew" and do it all in one sitting ... except maybe bathroom breaks. But I can eat and stretch during pit stops.

My pit crew would be my room mate and fiance. They've both commited to bringing me food and talking to me while I race.

Now I just need to find a highly competetive car for my skill level so it doesn't become a blow-out race in the first hour or so. I suppose anything I choose is going to drastically loose horse power during the course of the race and therefore be slightly slower toward the end. But surely I'll have so mastered the course by then that my times will actually be faster. Who knows! Who cares! It's going to be fun!

Perhaps a weekend run, saturday / sunday, from 8pm to 8pm. Then sleep HARD so I'm well rested for monday morning work (:

Well done foghorn; I think that's how I'm gonna run the Le Mans races; can't be doing with no sleep again!

LoudMusic, I'd start earlier than that. What with various breaks I started ~10am Saturday morning and finished 6pm Sunday - you find about 6/7am Sunday you need a lot of breaks to keep yourself awake and alert... I had a ten-minute break (or so) every two hours, I couldn't stare at the screen for that long. Mind you I had the challenge of 118 A-spec points... I want as many as possible and didn't want to have to run that race again!

I read up on AE86Driver's race, and picked a car I could do sub- 7:30's in. After a few hours I was getting sub 7:20s but then the car became a handful towards the end. It's a good yardstick time for a lot of A-spec points.

(My race report : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60144 )

A-spec all the way. Did the ring in one sitting. 24hrs straight through, in the BMW 320i touring (I'm a bit bit of an A-spec points freak and wanted it to be hard. Also if I had no challenge to concentrate on I think I'd have fallen asleep and lost!) It hurt (I haemorraghed my left eye), but I won. To be honest though, I don't blame anyone for not doing it, it's not for everyone (especially if you've got better things to do, which sadly I didn't). It's a fine line between hardcore and stupid and I ended up wishing PD hadn't put it in, since I can't resist a dumb gaming challenge.

Only an Idiot would try it A-spec in one sitting. HA! proved them wrong.....oh no wait.....I've just proved.....I'm an Idiot. But an Idiot with an extra 200 A-spec points.

As soon as I find two other drivers in my area, we'll do it (like in the real life: 2 hours driving and 4 hours nap - food - bathroom!)... :)

Good effort, congratulations. (i don't want to know how you stayed awake).
I intend to finish the game a-spec and use that knowledge to go back and run in races again for more constructive points. did you mod the BMW at all. I run a back up card and saved six million and bought a second formula gt car onto my card so that I will always have one with zero milage. I still may do the race again if I find myself with the time free. 💡
Foghorn_100 :)

route_66
A-spec all the way. Did the ring in one sitting. 24hrs straight through, in the BMW 320i touring (I'm a bit bit of an A-spec points freak and wanted it to be hard. Also if I had no challenge to concentrate on I think I'd have fallen asleep and lost!) It hurt (I haemorraghed my left eye), but I won. To be honest though, I don't blame anyone for not doing it, it's not for everyone (especially if you've got better things to do, which sadly I didn't). It's a fine line between hardcore and stupid and I ended up wishing PD hadn't put it in, since I can't resist a dumb gaming challenge.

Only an Idiot would try it A-spec in one sitting. HA! proved them wrong.....oh no wait.....I've just proved.....I'm an Idiot. But an Idiot with an extra 200 A-spec points.

foghorn_100
Good effort, congratulations. (i don't want to know how you stayed awake).
I intend to finish the game a-spec and use that knowledge to go back and run in races again for more constructive points. did you mod the BMW at all. I run a back up card and saved six million and bought a second formula gt car onto my card so that I will always have one with zero milage. I still may do the race again if I find myself with the time free. 💡
Foghorn_100 :)

Err....mods.....R1 tires, maybe NA stage 1 (can't remember) it wan't quite stock i don't think, It was about 300hp. As for staying awake, coffee and Atari Teenage Riot Cd's. I don't think anyone could sleep through an ATR cd!

I'm planning on doing it when I unlock endu hall ,But which cars do you guys recomend for the nyrb 24 H to be compitive . I would prefer a BMW of course:)

BMW318ciC
I'm planning on doing it when I unlock endu hall ,But which cars do you guys recomend for the nyrb 24 H to be compitive . I would prefer a BMW of course:)

Try the 320i touring car for a challenge, the M3-GTR Race car for an easier time. Or you could try tunig up an M3 CSL with race tires, weight reduction and a wing (I'm pretty sure this could beat the race cars in this race, and it looks sooooo cool in black.)

LoudMusic
7:30 laps ... interesting target. I wonder if my S2000 is up to the task.

I guess it would depend. I took one of the tuner s2000s to the ring the other day (Arcade mode on a demo ps2 at the mall) and did 3 laps. The fastest one was 8:14 with two excursions off the grass.

I wasn't trying my hardest as I was more interested in trying out the racing seat (but it wasn't put together properly so it was a little uncomfortable) and the wheel did not have the pedals connected so they had set it up as an auto car with the accelerator and brake on the paddles (which was throwing off my game)

In better circumstances I have no doubt that S2000 can do sub 8 min laps. Sub 7:30 is a different story...

BTW I don't remember which tuner S2000 it was... :-(

MAYBE bathroom breaks?? i am going to have to wait until next summer to do it, school is starting and i cant do it on the weekend, it takes me about 9hr to do a 4hr race! im not devoted at all. so a 24 will take a week

Back