Nurburgring 24 Hour

  • Thread starter Thread starter monkeywork
  • 25 comments
  • 3,317 views
Messages
4
Has anyone tried getting an online race going - do you think it's feasible? Would be pretty amazing but not sure if it could really be done without a connection dropping or something.
 
right now I think it would be pretty hard but the Internet drop out could be solved by NOT making it a hosted game with one person but let it roll over.

As far as the logistics, It would be pretty hard. First thing you would need to do is get a very specific time for everyone to join. This time should be 1 hour before, so everyone can get set up. Chat it up and do some practice rounds.

I would believe that the hardest part is to finding people that not only would do it but would be committed to finishing.

The Other hard part is the glitches in the pits. Ive heard of them but havnt seen them.

Man... Wouldn't it be cool to get 16 players together, Do a 4hr or 24hr Nord. and have those 16 players in a 8, 2 man team. They could switch off in driving? That would be neat.
 
Id be interested in doing it, but id only do it if it was a full room of competitive driver who wouldnt quit after spinning out a few times.
 
Idk the longest I had a room going was 14 hours and that was painful.
 
do you keep a cup beside you to pee in? and a case of beer in a cooler?

Yeah, how does this work exactly? :)

I would have a catheter put in before playing. That's the only way!!!
 
I honestly couldn't even imagine playing GT5 24 hours straight, let alone driving around the same track 24 hours straight lol. It would be quite an accomplishment. Even 2 drivers doing 12 hour shifts would be crazy.
 
Wouldn't it be cool if you could team up, and teammates watch from the pits? Then when you come in, you can pick a new driver. In theory you'd need to connect 16x3 people to the lobby. Then folks could take a break while spectating in the pits. I think it's doable, but no publisher has coded it. This type of functionality isn't "updateable" either, it would need to be coded into the game- so it's out for GT5.

ps- you'd have to pit to change batteries/controllers as well.
 
I would love to do that. Longest ive raced on that track was 20 laps. It was painful. Aka i had to use the restroom the whole time !
 
I think 3 drivers with two 4 hour stints is the best way. 8 Hour break between sessions. :) You need bathroom, pit and switch off
 
You would have to do it a team event with probably 3 or 4 people. Two people would be too much racing time I think.

Also I don't see this event working. I think people would be getting disconnected at some point and not make it through the whole thing.

Plus I'd never do this if there wasn't some sort of reward at the end.
 
Does the car slowly drive when you press start in a race or only in free run? If u can do it while racing you could agree to all press start and let it cruise for like 10 or so minutes every four hours or something.
 
^Or just park somewhere. :lol:💡
 
Does the car slowly drive when you press start in a race or only in free run? If u can do it while racing you could agree to all press start and let it cruise for like 10 or so minutes every four hours or something.

👍
 
Yeah all that effort for no exp or cash!

Maybe the players could race for pinkslips ha ha
 
The only thing I can say is:

COUNT ME IN!

Just let me know when.

A big hug.

Eager Snake.
 
I think 3 drivers with two 4 hour stints is the best way. 8 Hour break between sessions. :) You need bathroom, pit and switch off

I could see this actually happening.

If anyone ever does this, please record the event so that we can see the progress of it! :D
 
Can you actually host a game by hours?
I mean, I don't know but I think you can only set up race length by laps required, I don't know if you can do it by time.
 
I wouldn't mind doing a Nurb 1 hr or 2 hr. That would be cool!
 
If they gave us time limited races.

I think they usualy do 1-4 hour stints in real life depending on situation. The 4 hours is the current regulation max in Le Mans but the drivers usualy driver shorter stints than that. In the old days there were some nuts that drove the entire 24 hours alone...
 
I am somewhat planning a 24h event with some friends. We would split into 2-3 teams and go around the 'ring for 24 hours. Since you can't add AI drivers that would make for a pretty boring race most of the time. But finding other teams to join is not realistic, either.

In order to pull off a 'local' 24 hour race between team, one would surely have to use the online feature as there is no LAN mode. So one team's player opens an event and the other team's player joins. After that, the race can start.

While a race is in progress, no other driver or team can join, if I remember correctly. That means a high level of commitment from any team planning on joining the race which will of course limit the number of teams.

So I came up with a solution which may or may not work: add a third PS3 that acts like a host. The two local teams (and any additional online team) join the session hosted by the server PS3. At a specific time, the teams join at the starting line and the race starts. But the event remains in the pre-race state, no official race is started.

This way, anytime anybody wants to join and drive some laps along with the 24-h-teams, they can and therefore traffic on the track is increased. Because there is a server PS3, vandal driver can be kicked without disturbing the local race teams.

Race ends 24 hours later. The team with the most laps (which need to be recorded somehow - does that happen for each driver already automatically?) wins, of course.

What do you think, is this doable? And practical?
 
Back