Nurburgring 24hr in the new XJR9

Scotland
South West
KAYTEAM73
I have just completed 10 hours of the Nurb 24hr in the new premium Jaguar XJR9.
The race started wet - 15% and then dried up.

No assists apart from ABS1 and mapping for RA functions incase of 100% wet and no gear indicator. Driving view - cockpit only.

I elected to start on RS - I hadn't done any exploratory laps so the tire strategy was up in the air. For the first lap I took it easy taking care not to lock up or causing unnecessary wheel spin.

Got up to 3rd pretty quick and tire degredation was about 50% after lap 1 and my time was 8.09.xx so I forged on for a 2nd lap and pulled into the lead. Sadly to my horror my tires were shot completely by the time I reached the Schwalbenscwanz corners - leading up to Dottinger Hohe and dropped down to 5th by the end of the lap.

I had to test other strategies - RS are no good for 2 laps, so I tried RH next - pulling in a time of 8.20.xx but the 2nd lap on RHs only just made it back to pits but with a significant drop in time - 8.40.xx. So if RH will barely do 2 laps (with abs7 and traction on), that means RMs won't work, I decided that the best strategy was to do single hot laps on RS's and fuel 13liters - this would take the same time as the tire change. Fuel usage was 18l per lap - so this would mean that I could do nearly 20 laps before a big fillup.

My lap times on this strategy (with a pit-in) were between 8.06.xx and 8.20.xx. This was enough to gain 10-15 secs a lap on the leaders - who pitted every 2 laps and take on full fuel.
With this strategy I was in the lead and lapping the leader by lap 38.

The race has remained dry so far. After suspending the race and logging back on, the moisture was 100% on the entry screen but when the race actually commenced, it was at 0%.

Lap times dropped in the dark to around 8.25-8.40. Without the gear indicator on, trying to predict corners is tricky. The worst parts are the end Fox Hole and the left-handers leading to Kesselchen right hander.

However, Whipperman to the Dottinger Hohe is sublime in the dark!!!
Trance-inducing!!!

At the moment I am at Lap 65 and the '+ 1 lap' appears at Pflantzgarten (where "AVE IT" appears on the track).

The Jag handles beautifully on RS. Lots of throttle modulation required as the back end constantly wants to step out. Squirting the throttle on the apex to swing the back end round a wee bit to allow me to floor it into the next straight is totally magic. Lovely car!!!

Once I've built up 2 laps lead, I will experiment with tire combos over 2 laps as the rears are chewed up quickly but the fronts wear better. We shall see.

To be continued....

jagspa4.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished this race with the same car and my racing mediums lasted 5 laps on a dry track while shifting at 6000rpm to keep tire wear to a minimum. After 24h I only ever got a lap lead on the Audi R8. Good luck man

I just finished this race with the same car and my racing mediums lasted 5 laps on a dry track while shifting at 6000rpm to keep tire wear to a minimum. After 24h I only ever got a lap lead on the Audi R8. Good luck man
:cheers:
This is where I have total respect for the manual gear shifters out there. My hand-eye-ear cooordination just doesn't stretch that far!!
5 laps on RMs is epic!

I have now reached hour 17 - all is calm and dry. The night part of the race is over and daybreak was spectacular - not quite as special as daybreak at Sarthe though. That might have something to do with the long straights which give you plenty of time to savour the scene. Sadly, some of my worst laps occurred at daybreak on the Nurbring as I was too busy enjoying the sunrise!!!

And now that I have finally got on top of my night time breaking points, I have to re-learn them again in the light. The up side is that my lap times soar as the visuals and the grip start coming back to the car.

As soon as I had reached +2 laps I tried out different tire strategies but no strategy could beat the time of RS and pits every lap.
RS + pit = 8.10 average (x2 for a 2 lap run = 16.20)
Front RS
Rear RH over 2 laps with 1x pit 16.40
And the tires were in a poor way on the 2nd lap which is where I lost a lot of time.

So I chose to stick with pitting every lap on RS.

Race fairly uneventful apart from a spectacular coming together with an R8 LM at Schwedenkreuz - what a mess!!!
Lap times continue to rise - 8.03.9xx. I'm sure that there is a sub 8min lap to be had. 7 hours to go. After 17 hours I can only safely say that I have nailed 2 corners - Klostertal (taken at 140mph) and the right kink after that(taken at 150mph:nervous:) before the corner leading to the Karrusel.
As for the Schumi S on the Nurb GP section, I was hitting it nicely through the night, but since dawn I've lost count how many times I've hit the gravel!!:ouch: (Mind you, I only have got silver on the licence!)

Apart from the start of the race, I have yet to have any rain...

To be continued...

Good luck with the other 7 hours. I could never do them A spec endurance races, due to me getting bored and wanting to race on-line :(. Anyway good luck with the rest of the race, still along way to go.

Good luck with the other 7 hours. I could never do them A spec endurance races, due to me getting bored and wanting to race on-line :(. Anyway good luck with the rest of the race, still along way to go.

Thanks a lot!!

The final 7 hours...
I decided to complete the race today as there are updates on the horizon and the last thing I want to happen is to either have my race progress game save corrupt, or be cancelled due to update. You never know!!!

Hours 17 - 20:
The day was bright and clear and the track just kept getting more and more grippy. A highlight was taking the crest of Schwedenkreuz at 184mph and just holding on to the Jag. Next lap, I hit it at 186mph and flew straight to the scene of the accident!!! Someone here mentioned that the track would lose grip at night and gain during the day - I can confirm this!!
Also you have factor in practice and confidence too though.

I achieved fastest lap of the race - 8.00.19.

I also enlisted the help of my own 'Bob' - my 12year old son, who did a 2 hour stint from 20 to 22 hours in. Thanks son!!!👍 A necessary break!
Hours 23 and 24:
It started raining but stayed at 0% for the duration. Lap times dropped due to cocking up apexes (apices?) in cockpit view but what a feeling tearing through Kesselchen at 200mph in the rain!!!
Finished 4 laps ahead of 1st - 908, 24 laps ahead of last place - Lister Storm.
It was a great experience, a close second to Sarthe. You can't relax on the Ring for a second! A great lesson in preparing for a corner that is 4 corners away to maintain max apex speed - its all about the breaking points and position of the car. Sounds obvious, but makes all the difference.
Good luck to all who are about to start their Nurb 24hr.
May the forcefeedback be with you!

G73

:cheers:
This is where I have total respect for the manual gear shifters out there. My hand-eye-ear cooordination just doesn't stretch that far!!
5 laps on RMs is epic!

I have now reached hour 17 - all is calm and dry. The night part of the race is over and daybreak was spectacular - not quite as special as daybreak at Sarthe though. That might have something to do with the long straights which give you plenty of time to savour the scene. Sadly, some of my worst laps occurred at daybreak on the Nurbring as I was too busy enjoying the sunrise!!!

And now that I have finally got on top of my night time breaking points, I have to re-learn them again in the light. The up side is that my lap times soar as the visuals and the grip start coming back to the car.

As soon as I had reached +2 laps I tried out different tire strategies but no strategy could beat the time of RS and pits every lap.
RS + pit = 8.10 average (x2 for a 2 lap run = 16.20)
Front RS
Rear RH over 2 laps with 1x pit 16.40
And the tires were in a poor way on the 2nd lap which is where I lost a lot of time.

So I chose to stick with pitting every lap on RS.

Race fairly uneventful apart from a spectacular coming together with an R8 LM at Schwedenkreuz - what a mess!!!
Lap times continue to rise - 8.03.9xx. I'm sure that there is a sub 8min lap to be had. 7 hours to go. After 17 hours I can only safely say that I have nailed 2 corners - Klostertal (taken at 140mph) and the right kink after that(taken at 150mph:nervous:) before the corner leading to the Karrusel.
As for the Schumi S on the Nurb GP section, I was hitting it nicely through the night, but since dawn I've lost count how many times I've hit the gravel!!:ouch: (Mind you, I only have got silver on the licence!)

Apart from the start of the race, I have yet to have any rain...

To be continued...

My bad i thought it was the Le Mans 24hr lol:dunce:

i'm doing these race on b-spec mode, under the same conditions: jaguar jr9, STOCK car (no tune at all), tough competition (speed 8, r8 oreca, mazda 787b, pescarolo 03', peugeot 905, audi r10...). My drivers lvs: 40, 32, 34, 35.
The race started badly, but it looks like i've found the winning strategy: front RS, rear RH. This way I pit every 2 lap (if I put rear RM laptimes improve but I need to pit on every single lap).
I'm planning to use a different car in a-spec,
Good luck to you

So awesome that you use your son as a Bob. Mine is only 4 so I've got a few years before he loses me the race. Of course I will then be the one making the mistakes and I'll be his Bob.

Hey mate me and some friends are going to do this race and have started training in this car ,And i was wondering how many laps you were up on the final lap?
And do you have the replay saved? or are able to tell me what time the 2nd place got as its best lap time,
1 more thin did you pit every lap for the whole race excluding the first few laps?

Cheers

Last edited:
Back