Nurburgring 24hrs - Have I bitten off too much?

• Thread starter hellnback
  • 25 comments
GTP_hellnback
Hi Team,

It's been itching at me for a while that I'm Level 40 for sometime, but never have started/attempted a 24hr race on GT5.

Now I did the 24hr Le Mans in GT4, but as we know that is a different beast, dry and 24hr sunshine, plus even though I had fun in the Pug 905 the race from early on was like pulling teeth.

So this time has to be the Nurb...

Had a look and the start list, and decided I wanted a tough race (more about that later) and the quickest cars looked likely to be, Audi R8 Race car, Audi R8 Race Car Team Playstation, and the Bentley. Plus I'd like it if the Mazda 787B and Pug 905 were to be in the field.

Now my car? I REALLY wanted a challenge, so I didn't want a LMP/Group C flyer, plus as always I wanted a car as close to stock as possible. Bring in the Nissan GT-R R35 TC.

I drove a test 20 laps on a Racing Medum, 5 lap stints. Found myself pushing the limits sometimes and the last lap held the potential for disaster on tyres that probably were maybe half to third of a lap beyond what you'd ideally want. I also did a short test on a Racing Soft, 4 lap stint, looked promising. However I lacked top end speed as the end of the 2km straight I was only hitting 305/306kmh, plus some parts of the track I had awkward & multiple gear changes wear you probably don't want them. So I changed the 'top speed' setting to 350kmh and now it reaches 322kmh on the end of the straight, & that solved the other problem on some parts of the track. Quicker & seems easier doing so, not so much on the limit... Also it 'appeared' softs maybe able to do the 5th lap... Essentially it's stock though, no other changes.

Now, I'll be doing this on my G27 with cockpit, using manual naturally, looking at my screen with the projector.

Disclaimer: Apart from a few laps 'Online' with Nurb' time change I haven't really done much night running (more about that later) or rain... live on the edge huh?

I entered the race and went through multpile screens before I saw a combination of opponents I liked.

Audi R8 Race Car
Audi R8 Race Car Playstation
Courage Judd
Bentley Speed 8
BMW V12 LMR
Zonda LM
Jaguar XJ220 LM
Lister Storm V12 Race Car
Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car
Ford Mk IV
Corvette C5R

Right to the short & narrow...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) I started the race in lovely sunshine, and it hasn't rained since...

2) I'm now 9hrs & 51mins in

3) I've pulled into the pits and end of lap 72, start of lap 73

4) At about 4-5hrs in, before dusk, I'd built a 1min 45sec lead, with some pretty decent consistent laps for the the majority, as couple of mistakes here & there but cost time maybe 30secs total.

5) Best lap 7mins 48.5sec on lap 18

6) At dusk started getting worried about about not being able to turn on lights, normally it would be the middle button on left side of steering wheel, hot happening! But they would come on with if the top left was pressed continually...

7) Lost about 50secs in 8 laps trying to do this

8) Two laps later the lights turned on, thanks but I've lost the time already... so high/low beam is middle button on the left

9) Down the straight I flick through views to see what's best for light. My prefered is still bumper cam

10) Night comes, still lapping pretty good, lose some more time back to about 40secs, over about 1hr, next hour getting another 15 secs back...

11) The Audi R8 seems to be getting quicker, I'm improving but losing 10-12secs a stint, pulling a 4 lap stint (about 67/68 petrol), out 8.50-8.55, 2nd lap - mid 7.50's, third lap around 8.00, last lap - around 8.05.

12) Lap 68, 20secs is the lead, I keep this steady with a 8:49, 7.53, 7.58, then the Lister Storm spins me twice! (fool me), 8.24 so as I'm pulling into the pits on lap end 72/start 73, I'm 2secs ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going through my mind at this point...

a) 10hrs in when does sunlight start to brighten the sky...
b) When does the R8 slow abit?
c) How far will I be behind when a & b happens
d) Now I know we're pretty similiar in speed, however the R8 does have me easily on the straight/s - I consider there to be 3 here... to Aremburg, to Stillstrcke, then the 2kms & start/finish line, I think in all honesty I'm really only in trouble on the last one... I don't wanna block
e) Will rain help me?
f) If we're been running 5-ish hours in the dark since "lights on", and 4 from total dark running, we maybe about the same from dawn so I'm potentially 1.00 to 1.30 behind when dawn breaks.
g) Can I continue to lap this consistently, & 'not push' if, more likely when I get behind
h) Will there be enough life left in the car to catch the R8 when sunlight returns
i) How much of a deficit is going to be too much???
j) Change strategy? Try a 5 lapper?

Now so far this is the most consistently intense race I've had in GT5 so far (about now I sometimes wish the car had that ability to pull 10secs a lap :( ), & I've done Nurb 4hrs 4/5 times with underpowered cars winning close but they don't compare. Even though I've turned countless laps at the Nurb sometimes at night you temporarily 'lose' where you are on the track, the potential for disaster is only a split second away. Plus I wouldn't call myself 'strong' on the GP part of the track...

So yes, I got my wish, a tough race, with high potential at this point to lose... after 24hrs... dunno if I'd want to do again... I'm happy with my night pace, as it's pretty consistent and for most part without the danger that lurks with 100% attack...

My question remains, have I bitten off too much this time...

Last edited:
Apart from my a--j thoughts, anyone know what time the race effectively starts in the race?

Is it the same 16:00 or 4pm of the true race? If so, dawn maybe closer than I think say I'm closer to 2 or 3am and dawn may rise about 5-ish? So 2 or 3 hours away, less dark running than I may think?

As it happens have been doing the same race now. 13h into the race, still completely dark. Also racing against R8, it seems to be doing 7:50-7:55 on laps 2-3 but loses more time on lap 4 with worn tires, but I'm doing better in the race as I have Peug 908 :-) Have speculated on 1600 start time also, hoping it will lighten up in 1-2h now.

At this point of time, part of me would like that Pug 908 for a hour or so to get a buffer... but 10hrs so far have been enjoyable, although extremely tough pushing close to limit on lap after lap trying to avoid disaster.

Hmmm 13hrs you say... that gives you a 5am guess... I'd say you'll see some sunlight before '6am', but unfortunately for me that means another solid 3 hours of darkness :( Assuming I keep good pace I'm 45-60secs down when light returns... and of course I can't see if rain clouds are brewing in the dark, and I don't know if they'll help!

So you say the Audi is starting to lose speed on 4th lap? or has pace remained the same? For me it still seems to do a decent lap 8mins 5secs or thereabouts. Please don't say it's getting... quicker...

On a side note I've worked out I can't change to a 5 lap stint, it's not quicker...

4 lap stint - 530secs, 475, 480, 485 = 1970 x 5 = 9850secs - 20 laps

4 lap stint - 530secs, 475, 480, 485, 495 = 2465 x 4 = 9860secs - 20 laps (plus it doesn't take into the account of longer fill for 1st lap, nor what the actual lap time for 5th lap would be on those worn tyres... I've allowed only additional 10secs onto of the 5th lap time)

So I guess I'm on the strategy I should be on...

Last edited:
Bad news I'm afraid :(

I did 4 laps early in the night, and probably my best 4 lap night stint. 8.46 out, 7.50, 7.59, 8.00, to pull a 23 sec lead. Save/Suspended and turned off the PS3.

When I came back for another stint about 2hrs later, turned it on & the game loads to the pening movie... huh??? Turned off the PS3 and tried a couple of more times to no avail, somehow it is lost.

10.5hrs gone. Questions unresolved. Disappointed.

Pondered what to do for a wee while...

So went into the endurances & restarted, heck I pretty much gotta strike while the enthusiasm is there... However... found a field with the two R8 Race Cars plus 5 other LMP/Group C cars, but it's raining... so I started anyway...

In 11 laps I found out...

First stint - 5 laps, all Inters, pulled into pits with 16 units of fuel - 6 mins up!
Second stint - 6 laps first 2 on Wets, then pitted and put inters on only, and did 4 more laps - lapped the R8 Race Car at Wehrseifen - after only 9.5 laps completed - best lap 8.41.035 when I can through pit lane, and that was by no means perfect.

So I know what would have happened had it rained in the last race... any rain & I was safe.

The dilemma now is restart hoping all dry, as it doesn't seem fair in the wet.

This is the reason why I don't play the long enduro races. Too damn frustrating. Don't want to torture myself.

Good luck in the future races. I hope it turns out better.

Continued my race today, indeed saw sky lighting up at 13.5h into the race, at 14.5h you could pretty much drive without lights. Might have seen day coming up sooner but it was cloudy and now started raining at dawn.

For me doing this in 908 is challenging enough, have not practiced the track much earlier so have been learning when racing, plus I have too many distractions... Only have 5.5 min lead after 15h, very little for that long racing time.

I think it's a plausible theory that opponent can get faster in the race, AI may be increasing its risk taking and speed either randomly or depending on race situation or both. Go figure.

Pity about your race getting aborted, hope I won't run into this.

Bad luck on that technical failure retirement. In an odd way it will probably be more memorable to race hard and get a bad luck retirement than having a cruise and collect easy win.

Thanks for posting up some very useful numbers - I plan to run this event and I now have a few taget lap times to shoot for... and wet weather is your friend... bet it is hard overtaking though.

good luck on the next one.

Ryk,

Lapping the AI I think is dependant on luck on where they are on the track when you go to do it.

Get them where there is a straighter section helps as there's normally room. However in the tighter sections the seem to 'hog' the middle, you have nowhere to go, sometime worse they move to the side you have chosen :(

In the wet I seemed to be around 40-50sec slower than my dry laps, but as tyre wear now doesn't become an issue you can easily do 6 dependant upon your cars consumption. (The Nissan GT-R R35 RC was using 'about' 16 units per lap, however give yourself 2 or 3 units to spare, as fuel consumption can differ on your lap times/revs being used)
I found that my cars liked Inters better than Wets, even on the 100% and still pouring down, but that maybe my driving style as opposed to 'the car' itself.

I think I'm gonna start this again with dry conditions, and hope for as much dry weather running as possible, don't feel it safe to get an even slower car and hope for rain, unless I start it raining on purpose then try to hold onto the lead... (if it dries...)

Bad luck on the last race Colin.

Keen to see your next attempt though 👍

Thanks Small_Fryz

Ok started again in the dry... this time it's even better weather pretty much no clouds in the sky, dunno if this last as long as last time but I have no control over that.

Scrolled through multiple fields until I got one I thought looked extremely good. No Bentley Speed 8 (was slower than BMW V12 LMR anyhow) or Pug 905.

In starting order...

R8 LMS
R8 Race Car Playstation
Ford Falcon XR8
Ford Mk IV Race Car
BMW F1 GTR
Corvette C5R
Me - Nissan GT-R R35 RC (absolutely stock apart from increase in top speed as before)
Mazda 787B
Courage C60
Audi R10 TDI
Audi R8 Race Car
BMW V12 LMR

Now only 1 stint (4 laps in),
7.46 (already quicker than last race, on higher fuel),
Currently a 24 sec lead over Audi R8 Playstation, which may have a 10-15 sec lead over Audi R8 RC now it's cleared traffic. After so much night running, consistency and not getting greedy with maximum attack is evident, nearly had a couple of big offs.

Hopefully only filling for my 4 lap stint will gain me some easy time this stop.

Last edited:
The reason you are faster with inters as opposed to full wets is due to the fact that the game is set to low grip reduction. I always drive with wets just to keep in somewhat close in the rain.

To be honest Small_Fryz it hasn't, drinking Fri (my last work day of the year), yesterday (barmaids last day) & tonight (Xmas eve drinks) has been getting in the way, and I know you can appreciate that!!!

Tomorrow is all day Xmas session, so that will leave Wed Thurs Fri to do some meaningful time on the wheel, it'd help if weather went pear shaped for a day or two.

However just did 4 more laps today, so only up to 8 in total a little over 1hr in.

28 sec lead into the pits, 53 out of it. An out lap of 8.24, tidy. Quick 7.49 2nd lap with spin at end of the straight, just dipped wheel into grass :(, a tidy 7.53 3rd, 4th lap started about 1min 18 secs up but couple of silly mistakes about in the first quarter or third dropped it to 1min 12secs, built back up to 1min 15secs completing the lap but just before into pits ran outta fuel for a 8.09 arrrggghhh. So lead maybe about 1min 10secs.

Or some reason the car is using about 68-70 fuel units as opposed to last races 65-68. Although that could be down to quicker times/higher revs. The Falcon & Corvette are already lapped, the Audi R8 Race Car now ahead of the R8 Race Car Playstation at start of lap 8... game on.

Edit: Update 24/12

Had time for another stint this arvo, although it's a glorious no-cloud-in-the-sky summers day, which ultimately means I'm risking it at 4.15pm (more on that later).

It was between 1.10---1.15 ahead into the pits, 70 units of fuel, and this becomes just over 1.20 outta them, when they get out. I pull a quick 8.46 re-passing the Corvette early and the Ford Mk IV when it goes into pits at the end of lap, followed by a solid 7.48 cruising past the Audi R8 LMS at a good spot on the track in the process, building the lead to 1.36.

However at this point the sun through the curtains starts to reduce my contrast on my projector screen, so disaster happens on the third lap TWICE, a spin & decent recovery at Flugplatz surrenders 6 secs back to 1.30, however worst was to come at Klostertal/Stellstrecke after I had regained just under 2 secs of the loss. Slightly wide means trying to recover I unable to break at my breaking point, plus I have two wheels on grass. Hit reverse as soon as can but the end result is a loss of 10 SECS... 1.21 lead. Third lap ends at 8.09, a good 15 secs away from being an acceptable lap.

Forth lap was like the first two, nice and solid, 8.01 passing the Falcon for the 2nd time in GP section with a little bit of time loss...

12 laps/about 1:34:00 gone, I guess the lead will be somewhere in the region of 1.15---1.20 going in, this time with 2 fuel units left...

Order after me, Audi R8 RC, Audi R8 RC Playstation, Mazda 787B, Courage C60, BMW LMR V12, Audi R10 TDI, BMW F1 GTR, however I guess until about lap 20 pit strategy may not be fully played out with the 4 & 5 lappers yet. I don't imagine anything is doing 6 lap stint in the dry.

Edit: 28/12 (Been a bit slack with multiple drinking days & not wanting to drive hungover)

The gap going in was about the 1.17 range I'd thought. Coming out after 67 units of fuel (to 69), was 1.25.

Outlap was a steady lap with no real mistakes, but I think the 4 day gap has taken that 'dialled in' feeling away. However no mistakes means no damages to the lead, a 8.50.

Second lap was wash and repeat, I get pass the Corvette C5R on the outside of Kallenhard, with minimal loss of time, lap time a little disappointing but as things go, a keeper, 7.51, time gap up to about 1.30.

Lap three didn't start so well, missing my breaking point on the GP circuits RTL-Kurve, luckily it's tarseal so I get back onto the circuit relatively quickly. No other issues on the lap, 7.58.

4th lap was interesting in the fact there was a car in front of me, but I wasn't reeling it in very quick, I guess it's the last of the 'quicker' 7, the BMW F1 GTR. Again pretty tidy lap until I get to about 2 secs behind the BMW F1 GTR, and a 1.35 lead, it hits the 'bump' going into Galgenkopf and starts a big sweeping slide, nose to the inside, with smoke everywhere. I try to keep clear by going a little wide to the left of it but put the left hand side of my car on the grass and can't keep my turn to the right with the speed I have on, hitting the armco. Luckily it's not a spin but just lots of loss of speed going into the straight, however the BMW F1 GTR must've recovered it's spin extremely well as it's right at my rear coming into the GP circuit. However I'm into the pits and it's not, I clock a 8.05. 2hrs 08mins in, still a long was to go, and night running where I know they're a little quicker.

Last edited:
Update 28/12:

Me, Audi R8 RC, Audi R8 RC Playstation, Mazda 787B, Courage C60, BMW LMR V12, Audi R10 TDI, BMW F1 GTR, so order remains the same. After the next pit I will know if there is any change or alternate strategy in play.

Another 67 fuel units to fill to my 4 lap level of 69, coming out for my 17th lap about, last split seen +1.38ish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some endurance thoughts at this point: I'd like to see

1) Wouldn’t it be easier if PD put the amount left in car & the automatic setting that could be changed is the same as your last pit? Afterall, you would know what you were going to fill & the tyre selection before coming in. Trying to select your number can unnecessarily delay the pit stop
2) Display more laps (configureable to max 10, or your pit cycle?)
3) Where it has total time to split point, display purple if it’s quickest to that point, green if quicker than the quickest lap, same with a section split underneath it)
4) ‘Best’ section splits could be displayed in the unused space in middle left of screen, opposite to the lap times, these could add to a theoretical ‘Perfect’ lap to aim for.
5) Make it that we have to go into the game as per normal, to continue getting bonuses, and OCD, BUT unable to do any other Seasonal/Race, you must go to the suspended race.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once they’ve pitted, my lead is 1.45, however I can see I’m approaching two cars, I start to wonder where I come up on them on the track, if it’s this lap. I’m having a great lap so I breathe a sigh of relief when I pass a seemingly slow BMW F1 GTR at Kesselchen, must’ve slowed for fuel outage as I can’t have caught it so quick after pitting. Continue the lap still on a quick one, gap I notice is +1.49 as I come up on the Audi R8 LMS, then it basically comes to a halt (fuel again?!?!) closing the gap A LOT quicker than I was expecting. What worse than that is where on the track: Eschbach/Brunnchen. Spin, reverse, recover. Try to calm myself, pass it without incident in the quick section before ‘mini-carousel’. Towards the end of my lap, I notice the split involved, +1.41, loss of 8 secs. I’m not surprised at the 8.54 lap.

Both cars pit, so the Audi R8 RC’s get a free pass, so I’m needing a good quick lap, high 7.40’s would be lovely. However it wasn’t to be as I come up to the Ford Mk IV at Pflanzgarten or the ‘dipper’ as I call it. Sensing me it seems to come to a screaming halt and results in me going wide into the kitty litter, resulting in what turned out to be a 6 sec loss, 7.56 lap.Back to back disappointing laps.

It’s been a ‘busy’ two laps traffic wise, I need to catch some breaks this stint, as the lead I notice is down to +1.34 as the Audi R8 RC passes the start/finish line. Luckily I do, I also don’t compound the losses on the last two laps by pushing too hard, lap 3 comes in with a solid if not spectacular 7.56.

This is quickly followed by my best in-lap to date 8.00. I notice the gap has risen back to about +1.38ish.

Another stop, these can come quicker than you think. This time 66 units to 69. When cycles are done I have a +1.42 lead. Out lap a new best with the full fuel fill-up with 8.44, despite a very small Corvette C5R balk. Good lap gets me to just under +1.49

Lap 2, I was hoping for my first good one for what I guessed about 2-3 stints. It wasn't to be, pushing too hard I found myself break too late into entry into 'Green Hell'. This costs me about 6 secs and at Exmuhle I have a wee slide that sheads another couple, the lead gets back to +1.40. Another disappointing lap on the tyres 'prime', 7.59. I really need to start capitalising on this lap.

Take time to note that order has changed. Me, Audi R8 RC, Audi R8 RC Playstation, Mazda 787B, BMW LMR V12, Courage C60, Audi R10 TDI, BMW F1 GTR. I wonder if the Audi R10 TDI could be on a 6 lap strategy, surely not.

Run wide on second part of Schumacher S on GP track that costs little but I could do without it. Rest of 3rd lap was fast and incident free. 7.55, lead back up to +1.45.

In lap, get past Ford XR8, with only a little slow down, I really haven't had good luck where I'm meeting lapped cars recently. However, I like these laps where I don't have to say much & I'm happy with a 8.01, which builds lead further +1.50ish.

Another pit, same as before, the lead after theirs +1.54, shoot past the Ford XR8 again. Rest solid, I get my first look at a +2.00 lead this lap, another good outty, 8.47.

Right this time! Lap 2. However it's screwed up early, being a little aggressive I'm in 4th when I needed to be in 3rd at NGK Schikane, lift off, try to control tank slapper, and come off better than I deserve quite frankly. However I lose about 5 secs, as I note lead to +1.55 at one point. From here I'm incident free for next 2.5 laps. However this lap wasn't without a close call, I come across the Audi R8 LMS in the uphill run/straight at the back of circuit, and in hindsight my pass was risky, on the outside of left turn at Kesselchen. Damage was done early, lap comes in at 7.56. Next time...

Lap 3 is a PB for lap 3, a keeper at low 7.53. Lap 4 is quick despite some early 'lift offs' that save my butt from disaster, 8.01. Think just before I pit I see a +2.09-2.10.

Now 3hrs 47mins in, still pretty much cloudless. Lap 28.

One more fuel unit in the car this stop, one less to put in, don't wanna drop from 69 just yet, but possibly 67 can do it, 68 most likely. Finally good news! 3.5 clean quick laps, bar a armco scrape on the 4th lap I'm pretty much free of any major scares.

Out lap, come out of pits just behind the Ford Mk IV that had pitted, get past that pretty easy, lead over the Audi R8 RC comes out of the pits is +2.18. Not to say that I didn't see some cars during this stint... end of this lap, coming up right behind the Corvette C5R, however it peels off the the pits, possibly there is another car in there, can't remember, 8.49.

Lap 2, my nemesis, an outstanding (by recent performances) 7.49, finally! However I see some cars, two pairs into the distance...

Lap 3, fly past the Ford Falcon before I get to Klostertal thankfully, solid 7.56. Cars getting closer but not dramatically... Hmmm... Audi R10 TDI or Courage C60? Haven't seen since start line.

Lap 4, in lap, start catching one of them quite quickly, it's the BMW F1 GTR. I zip past just before I get to the pre-corners to the 'mini-carousel', it catches on straight but not so much to challenge passing, I peel off into the pits and record another solid 8.03. Lead from when I noticed up to +2.28-2.29.

This stint, I noticed the sun alot lower and effecting 'seeing' some apexes. Also lights are visible on the GP circuit, nightfall approaches, can't be long now until lights appear on the car... Plan for the night is to be quick but safe, not to panic when the Audi R8 RC starts it's fightback with up to 15 sec gains per stint.

Although I figure I may have another stint before night comes, another good stint I could conceivably have +2.45 up my sleeve, or 11 stints of night losses.

Last edited:
Update - Night 28/12

Lead +2.29 coming into pits, 4 units in car coming in this time, still fill to 69. I may change to get to 68 but not keen enough for 67 or lower, better be safe than lose easy time coasting for the last 500m or worse, 1km.

Lead once first split comes up is +2.36, 3 cars to aim at, and I know they pit next time around, it would be nice to jump them pitting... Outlap goes like a blink, and the lap times reads 8.45.

As I start the 2nd lap, a car is in the pits, I'm guessing it's the BMW F1 GTR. There is however a car just a couple of seconds up the road, it's the Courage C60, aggressive I attack the corners and manage to dive up the inside of it on the GP circuits hairpin. So pressure is now on, 1 fast car behind, 2 more a little ways ahead. This is gonna be a great 3 laps. Outlap has the lead boosted to +2.40. However I'm a bit keen on the LRLRLR section early on the Nurb and lift to recover, lose a little time but Courage C60 still behind by a couple of secs. Rest of lap quick with no incident, 7.53.

Third lap start with an unidentified car in the pits, only car I haven't seen of quicker ones is the Audi R10 TDI, but that should be behind the Courage C60, maybe it has been lapped whilst in the pits... The lead tells me that when I'm at Aremburg, the Audi R8 RC is crossing the start/finish line. Lap time comes in a nice 7.55.

Lap 4 in-lap, last lap tyres vs 3 lap old tyres and they're in sight... however there's another car getting caught up quick. My thoughts are surely 4 cars can't be in the same place during this lap... They clear it at Adenauer-Forst, I manage to dive inside it at Kallenhard, with no loss of time. Manage to dive on the inside of the BMW V12 LMR at Bergwerk just as the cars lights come on. One more to go... Straighter sections show it's the Mazda 787B, and I get inside it on just before the bump in the last corner before straight. I keep to left as I expect it to rock on past, which it promptly does but then seems to play chicken with me instead of clearing me. Maybe it's because I chose the left of track and not right and next 'corner' is left on the top of hill? Keeping my head and not getting involved in the battle I remember it's pit lap, and in I come. 8.03.

Best 4 laps of the race, times good, only one real error, dusk (still no cloud build-up), and pressure of 3 quick cars, with a backmarker to boot. Can't say I'd really noticed the lead since lap 2 lead. Hopefully it's in the region of +2.45-2.50. Last stint for today I think.

Last edited:
Update 31/12

I exit the pit taking only 64 units and resume the chase of the three flyers that went past whilst I was doing so. 1st of all I have to dispatch the Corvette C5R also, I manage to go up the inside as we turn left into the Nord'. Pass a very slow Courage C60 at Aremburg, must be out of fuel only 1/4 into lap? (PD needs to fix this...). Notice lead is +3.15 then proceed to pass both the BMW V12 LMR & Mazda 787B doing the same thing in the run into Wehrseifen! Ford XR8 passed again at end of lap. Solid 8.52.

Next three laps, I saw no-one, as a result got into a steady rythym while the light continues to fade. All solid with no mishaps of note, 7.51, followed by 7.55, and in-lap 8.01.

Meanwhile the order has change yet again... Me, Audi R8 RC, Audi R8 RC Playstation, BMW LMR V12, Mazda 787B, Courage C60, Audi R10 TDI, BMW F1 GTR

Took 67 fuel, came back out to clear track, nail a out-lap for a 8.45, during the lap notice lead +3.30, another quick lap follows on 2nd lap 7.49. Lead +3.35. 3rd lap overcook the first corner and spin, losing good chunk of time, Audi R8 LMS passed after Bergwerk, little loss time too, and then stray wide on right handed going onto long straight. Bad lap 8.05, however 1st 'bad' one for about 4 stints or 16/17 laps. The lead cut quite some I see +3.22 at one stage. In-lap very solid with 8.02, last lead spotted was +3.28.

44 laps complete, time elapsed now reads 5hrs 58mins & change... Basically 1/4 race done, sun about to disappear for the night.

Lead into pits was just under +3.30, coming out (after Audi R8 RC pitted) was +3.35. Probably executing my best out lap until I go wide at Bergwerk lose a little time, but hold it together for rest of lap to still record a swift 8.46. Lap two was going well until the bump in the inside of the corner before long straight throws me wide, spin, recording a 7.55. Lap 3 is without incident, passing the Ford Mk IV during it, another 7.55. In-lap was scrappy when I went into the LRLRL section at start of Nord' again. Still reasonably pacey 8.01. So it's a pretty good 4 lap stint and as a result the lead I notice to +3.55.

Now just to do quick mistake free laps at night and hold station. My outlap is an good 8.47, building lead to mid +4.00's. Essentially half a lap. 2nd lap starts and I see someone coming out pits as I pass it going into the Nord' I notice it's the Audi R8 RC Playstation! 2nd is now a lap behind. Further into the lap and the Ford XR8 is passed at Brunnchen. 7.56. Third lap. BMW F1 GTR dispatched at Adenauer-Forst, followed by Corvette C5R at Exmuhle, and Audi R8 LMS immediately after the Carousel. Another 7.56 on the board, last lap my in-lap is just scrappy, without being disasterous at 8.04, however I think the lead has been cut to just over +4.00. Hopefully I'll have clear air for next run and just settle into smooth laps.

The Audi R8 RC lost sime time, maybe traffic?, on his in-lap, as +4.10 when I went into pit and after both had been finished it read +4.18. Anyhow I dunno what I did on this outlap but I want more of it! A stonking 8.44, a new PB for the strategy fill. As I start next lap I pass what must be the Audi R8 RC Playstation that has pitted. Next two laps only have a couple of near misses and tick by with 7.52 and 7.54. Last, the in-lap, a highly respectfull 8.01. This pushes my gap up quite nicely to the region of +4.30.

A little delay selecting my correct fuel units on this pit, first time this has happened. The Audi R8 RC Playstation goes by. I catch & pass it at Exmuhle, and try go on the outside of the Ford Falcon at Hohe Acht, it must've thought I was going to go on inside as it moves over towards me causing a spin. Recover adequately before the Audi repasses, this time making sure of the Falcon at Brunnchen before going on my merry way, 8.54. No traffic, fast 2nd lap at 7.49, getting a nice tow from the Ford Mk IV on the straight before going pass before the over-bridge. 3rd lap much the same, clear apart from the Corvette C5R on the uphill/back straight, however there is a spin at the breaking zone after the long straight, 7.55. Last lap I'm approaching another car, faster this time, it's the Audi R10 TDI. First time I've spotted it, and it's about to go 2 laps down by my reckoning. However I'm thinking too far ahead and concentrating on it and not where I am on the track. A couple of wee offs that get him some breathing space, before I strike at Bergwerk. Have a little visit to the gravel at Schwabenschwanz, and come into pits for end of lap 60, with a 8.08 not having noticed the lead for over a lap, however it hasn't been the best 4 laps, I may've lost some time, if not gain will be minimal.

8hrs have just ticked by half way through the lap, 1/3 race distance.

Ok, it had to happen at some stage right? You know the STINT FROM HELL. What horrors!

All all started so well, out of the pits along with the Audi R8 LMS, and get him in the second corner, then the lap is going nicely, I notice a +4.50 lead when completing the Carousel. Then after Pflanzgarten after the 'dipper', I go wide but unfortunately not wide enough for the gravel, back end of car hits grass and I'm gone, wild spin!. Whilst trying to recover the spin I accidently hit the high/low beam light so I don't really notice as I'm in a fuss when I come up to start of the Schwabenschwanz complex, another spin! When it all comes out in the wash a lead of +4.53 is down to +4.36, a 17 secs loss. Lap a pedestrian 9.03!
Wow. 2nd lap the only acceptable lap of the stint, but that was only a 7.53, think I was still in shock, not wanting to compound the previous lap, however I'm still losing time in buckets, I see a +4.28 at some stage. Start the 3rd lap, someone, I don't know who it is. This lap while no single big off, is just a comedy of errors, that together add up to a 8.02. Last lap I pass the Ford Falcon, after it balks me in the start of the Nord' in section before Hocheichen. Also have a good spin before I get to Adenauer-Forst, finally end the nightmare in a 8.11 with only 1 fuel unit and it showing red. Lead likely to be back to +4.30ish.

Wow, the stint is a full 38 secs slower than 2 stints ago. Hope it's the anomaly not the new state of affairs.

Last edited:
Update 01/01/13

Long fill, with 68 units to make my number (safely). Lead ended up being +4.31 in the end and +4.38 out of it. Come out of the pits right behind the Ford XR8 and take him after second corner. The Audi R10 TDI is re-taken, yes this is how much time was lost in the last stint, at Adenauer-Forst. Lap ends without drama in 8.52 not bad considering long fill. Lap 2 comes and goes with nice steady pace, only two minor mistakes going wide at Bergwerk & Galgenkoft, 7.55. Third lap is ho-hum and pass the Corvette C5R after it balks me on run to Schwedenkreuz, clocks in a safe 7.57. 4th lap the in-lap is going well until a spin at Metzgesfeld that costs 6 secs, otherwise lap was ok, 8.08. Lead goes down to one thousandth of a second below +4.30 at some stage.

65 units this time and take off again, pass the BMW G1 GTR at Wehrseifen, and the Ford Mk IV on the long straight, tidy out-lap 8.46, lead builds to about +4.38. Nondescript 2nd lap, 7.53. Third lap doesn't start well a spin at Bit-Kurve on the GP circuit bleeds 10 secs, the Ford Falcon is passed at Aremberg & the Audi R8 LMS soon after at Adenauer-Forst, however due to the spin the lap records a 8.03. Lap 72, my in-lap records a very surprising 8.00, as I thought it was messy! Turned out it was quick also!

The Stints that changed the race

Come outta the pit and head off in chase of cars I glimpst when I went into it. However unsure of the lead as for some reason it's not coming up (weird I had this in the lost race for a few laps as well) or I'm not noticing. On Green Hell I pass a slower Peugeot Courage C60 @ Flugplatz, similiarly the Mazda 787B @ Adenauer Forst, and the BMW V12 LMR later in the lap. They weren't out of gas, but seemed alot slower as I gapped them easy. Although I don't know how there tyres are... Now this was a plus as I can't see many cars in front of me... My tyres were great and a lap of 8.49 pops up. For whatever reason the car seemed to be beneath me and was like it was rejuventated. Lap 2 I fly by the Corvette C5R after 'the dipper', and record a outstanding high 7.48! 3rd lap wasn't as tidy but breeze past the Ford Mk IV on the straight to record an average 7.57, before getting lead notification back and finishing my in lap in a swift 8.01.

The shocking part was the lead was now reading +5.30, how the... when I look back at the previous 6 or so laps they're quick, however I'm guessing with the lack of lapped traffic where I am, the same can't be said for the Audi R8 RC, it obviously is not as aggressive as me, late breaking and diving inside of them into corners, and I guess some parts of the track there would not a place to pass for abit, holding him up immensely.

Come out of the pits and chase down the Ford Mk IV again, at the end of the GP circuit section. At the end of the lap, it looked like I gained an additional 10 secs from the Audi's pitstop. I catch a HUGE draft from the Falcon on the straight and outlap flashes 8.44. Lap 2 I lose a little time when I try to lap the Audi R8 LMS, breaking late to try get on the favourable curving, he pushes me to the upper level. Pass it on the outside, and complete the lap in 7.52. Lap 3 goes well until I go a little wide coming onto the straight, 7.59. In lap apart from big moment I recover in a slide at Wehrseifen, it clocks a 8.01. This clear track is doing me wonders, lead is up to mid +5.50's. However it's now stabilised, so Audi is in clear track too. This means I'll be expecting some lap traffic soon enough.

Pushing forward the outlap records a very acceptable 8.46, lap 2, despite a small slide at Adenauer-Forst I astonishing record a low 7.48, that's only 1.2 secs from my quickest lap, in the dark also! I either have (a) a similiar driving style despite day/night (b) don't push hard enough in daylight (c) getting used to the dark? Lap 3 sees a car, very briefly, the Corvette C5R and I fly past at Metzgesfeld. lap ends in 7.54. However lead is only to +5.58. Audi R8 RC not losing screads of time... Until my in-lap... I overcook my entry into the GP's section hairpin and lose about 7 secs, pass the Ford XR8 at Adenauer-Forst, then have another moment at the corner before straight to record a slow 8.09. The dream run comes to an end.

Next stint will bring up 12hrs...

Re-fuel, and head out awaiting what the lead is, and the 1st one it gives some way into the lap (again) and says +7.37! Wait, what? I pass the Audi R10 TDI just after the 'dipper' and complete the lap soon after for 8.48, as the Ford Mk IV pits. Half pie thinking about what happened to the time gap and not concentrating fully on the laps I record a 7.56, and a 8.06 with a spin at Bit-Kurve again that cost 10 secs. Before closing the stint with a 8.03 and a decision. Not noticing cars in pits or anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to guesstimate (roughly just over 2 mins), how much time I've benefited from the resume function in the last two stops. Takes a wee bit of the gloss over then stints now...

I'd read previously about a 'rain' bug, that had been resolved in an Update. Maybe all is not 100%?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming out of the pits just about 15sec before 12hrs, I park at the first corner for 2mins - plus loss of time for slowing & restarting - while 3 cars fly by - then resume my race. The Audi R8 LMS is passed at the corner before the Carousel, and then the lead changes from +7.25 to +5.15. Lap finishes in a 10.54 (with time given away). Next 3 laps have no traffic, as cars pitting as I fly by. 2nd lap knocked out in 7.52, nail the third lap in what I think is a PB at 7.52 this is continued into the in-lap where I pass the Ford XR8 at Aremberg on the outside, and Corvette C5R before in quick section before mini carousel complex, with no mistakes on the lap I dip under the 8 mins for the first time on the in-lap, 7.59 and see a lead of +5.30.

Come out and take the the Ford XR8 in the first/second corner maze. Overtake the Corvette C5R yet again at Adenauer-Forst, however no splits again, only at the end of the lap and at the most inconvenient time causing a spin, +5.30 went to +6.45 (so I'll give that back too, on next stop). 8.51. This starts another run of seeing no cars, or those that are seen, are in the pits. Spin, at start of second lap, calculating what I need to give back, figuring I was always make 5-10 secs on the pitstop... so somehwere between 1 min - 1 min 10 secs, not counting how quick I do the laps and if any gain. 2nd lap, comes in at 7.53, Next two nothing special at 7.59 & 8.06.

Give away time after the next stop and the lead goes back to +5.29, the lap is 9.51 and it felt good, next lap I do a great GP circuit section and decide to concentrate for a lap and attack to try nail one. Certainly did, 7.47, and only 0.15 from my best lap! Two of the three cars I was catching in the pits as I roar past. Next lap I catch the third one I saw at Aremberg, it's the Ford Falcon XR8. I see lead has been increased to +5.36. Lap ends in a solid 7.56, and this is followed up with a good 8.02 on the in-lap, the Corvette C5R in my dust at the chicane in the GP section.

During this stint, I started to think my eyes were deceiving me, am I seeing it lighten ever so slightly, towards the end of the stint, I did start to get to see the start of the lighting in some parts of the sky, apexes could be seen that split second earlier... In fact it started to become quite distracting as each time you tried looking at what you could see more instead of concentrating on the track!

Pitting only taking 64 units and came out behind the Corvette C5R again, but he was dispatched by GP sections Bit-Kurve. It was getting a little lighter all the time and this meant using 'more' of the track. Well not 'more' but accelerating earlier, breaking later as you could see the edges better and the handy curbs. 4 laps dispatched quickly, very quickly, 8.45 out, easy lap. New Lap record on 2nd with low/mid 7.46 (btw the answer turned out to be 'b', however when you're in a possibly even race you can push and lose the race early... consistency while keeping pace is the better bet than 'all out attack'), possible new PB for 3rd lap with 7.51, and took 2 secs off my in-lap with a 7.57. Lead ballooned out to +5.51.

Sun can't be far from peeking out from behind the horizon, from what it looks like there is still no clouds to speak of...

Update - Night 01/01

(Restarting found it hard to get back into the groove I'd been on earlier, eyes needed to readjust to what was on the screen, that I had been used to, plus room was 'lighter' due to sun on curtains & contrast dinished)

Pitted again, with the false sense of security, of previous stint I attack the course until I have probably my biggest of for some hours... at Flugplatz, the lead (after pitstops completed) goes from +6.10 back to +5.56. So I tape back the aggression somewhat and complete the lap in a shade over 9.00. Next lap, has the BMW F1 GTR passed at Brunnchen and clocks 7.51. Third lap pretty much same sort of pace passing the Audi R8 LMS @ the sweeper before Wehrseifen, 7.54. In lap passes two cars, Corvette C5R at Wehrseifen and the Ford Mk IV, who gives me one heck of a scare, power sliding after hitting the bump before corner that leads into the big straight, I slow to avoid and lose some time, although 8.00 is registered. +6 09 lead

Meanwhile the sun continues to tease behind the clouds at the horizon, you can see it behinf them, first red, then orange, then dim yellow. This creates a semi-haze that can make some corners difficult however better than sunstrike. Next lap will bring up 15hrs, but no change in running order.

Pit and come out re-passing the Corvette C5R just past Flugplatz. During this lap I find it easier to drive on low beam as I can see the road ahead better... The Ford Mk IV re-passed at my most hated corner, left handed just after Brunnchen. Try to catch a tow from one of the quick LM racers who I can't identify down the straight but I'm too far behind, it pits. Lap a nice 8.47, lead +6.22. Don't see anyone now for two laps so recorded a swift 7.48, lead +6.30, then a 7.55, lead +6.35, where again more cars in pits... this is handy. Last lap is scrappy and reads 7.59, coming into the pits identifying the entrance a little tricky... as the cars lights just went out! Last split was +6.38.

Cream the outlap, with a new PB for it, 8.42, lead balloons to +6.53, coming through for second lap two cars come out just in front, the Courage C60 is taken on the left before Ford Kurve on the GP circuit, and the Mazda 787B at the NGK Schikane, and the lap ends with 7.51, 3rd lap is an untidy 7.56, and another car is in the pits as I fly past. The last, the in lap, see the Corvette C5R briefly again just before Flugplatz. There is however a wee off between Klostertal (where it really started by going wide) and Stellstrecke. Into the pits for a 8.01.

15hrs 50mins and change, 116 laps complete, +7.01.

Sun still behind cloud only very occassionally can I see any shadows, clouds of a 'white' nature with blue sky so rain looks unlikely. Night driving habits/gears still hard to fully shake, but daylight has been a welcome change. After 9-10hrs of night, you get to know the Nurb' very well, and I'd done many many many GT4 & GT5 laps on this track.

Last edited:
Update 02/01

Pit the pit sequence I was up +7.08, I dispatch the out-lap in a 8.44 catching the Courage C60 & Mazda 787B quite quickly it seems, start the second lap with them having to pit. Trying to find rythym, I settle into comfortable pace, as I'm now well aware I make lots of time on the Audi R8 RC on my out & in-laps. I pass the Ford Falcon on the outside of the turn into Nord' at end of GP section. Make it a Ford quinella by passing the Mk IV before the Carousel. Clock 7.53, and with no cars in sight other than this 'quick car' about 30-40 secs up the road... I repeat within a few tenths the previous lap, a 7.53. In-lap another sizzling 7.57, building lead to +7.31.

Sun now starting to exert dominance over cloud and shadows now appearing, luckily it's higher enough to avoid sunstrike bar a difficult entry into GP's chicane section.

Pit exchange gains more time, now +7.38... Nail the outlap with another PB 8.41, coming into the breaking zone of first corner I spot 2nd place, the Audi R8 RC leaving the first corner, and make the pass in the run up to the GP's chicane. Trying not to concentrate and not look into the rear vision mirror I make time in corners/tighter sections, but he advances on me on any straight. The BMW F1 GTR, is passed on the inside of the 'dipper', which is important as it means I can gap the Audi R8 RC, as he can't pass, before the straight. 7.53. Now I'm on 3rd lap tyres and the Audi R8 RC tyres are at their best. The Corvette C5R had came out of the pits and is dispatched at the GP's hairpin. This gaps him slightly again and continually catches on lap as I record a 7.53, however not so close it ever has a chance to pass. The 4th, in-lap, I pass the mobile chicane in the Ford Falcon, and promtly spin not concentrating fully at NGK Schikane. This closes the Audi right up to my tail, but I'm still quick enough where it's important for him not to have opportunity to pass. I dip into the pits as he roars past, decidely average 8.05.

(After watching WDC Final)

Stint started badly, first I overfill getting 66 units to 70, then steam out of the pits to NO breaks or steering, in panic, instead of pausing the game, jump outta my cockpit and plug in my G27! I was guessing 20+ secs lost... Now I go full out attack to get that time back... Pass the Ford Falcon on the outside on the quick right hander after entering the Nord', and the BMW F1 GTR, also on the outside at Adenauer Forst. Rest of the lap I killed, time was 9.01, good considering the disaster at start of lap. Full attack also on the 2nd lap as I think I need to re-pass the Audi R8 RC, and record a 7.48 in the end. Attack the third lap, thinking I'm still behind, however when I look at the map, no car is in front! It came out behind so I taper it back a little, dispatching the Frod Mk IV at the 'dipper' and record a 7.55. Sloppy last lap 8.02, the Audi R8 RC being down a lap leaves nothing to 'aim' for on concentrate on.

I do notice one thing however... Me, Audi R8 RC, Audi R8 RC Playstation, BMW LMR V12, Courage C60, Mazda 787B, Audi R10 TDI, BMW F1 GTR.

Because of the last overfill I only need 63 units and re-take the Ford Mk IV at the second corner, driving well the 8.42 is very close to the outlaps best. 2nd lap is a great lap, even though at the 'dipper' I come across both the Audi R8 RC Playstation & the BMW V12 LMR fighting each other. I have them both before getting into the complex before the mini-carousel, and gap them enough so they don't get me on the straight, 7.47. Third lap, Ford Falcon taken at 1st corner, obviously just pitted, but boy does he come around often of what? I have a spin that starts on left before Adenauer Forst, hit the curb too hard & fast in the wrong place. However recover quickly and have the Corvette C5R soon after at Kallenhard. Spin means 7.56. Starting the next lap someone is in the pits. Absolutely cream next lap with new PB, 7.55, with 18:00:00.00 coming up 2 secs after the top of the hill bridge on the straight.

3/4 distance, but it's starting to drag now, I think about trying different strategies, 6 lap RH? 5 lap RS or RH? 3 lap RS time attack stints???

Coming out of the pits after two cars pass, I'm just able to beat the Audi R10 TDI into the first corner (it must've been him in the pits last lap). Pass the other two (can't remember) in places that don't cost time, and record a lovely 8.43. Next lap I really don't push but settle into good pace and pass the Audi R8 LMS at Flugplatz and do a 7.48, I should've pushed! Next lap again rapid with a 7.52 despite going wide out of the mini-carousel that in likelihood cost a 3rd lap PB. Stint ends in a scrappy where I save two slides, 7.59. Both laps saw nothing.

Out again and finally see someting Hohe Acht, my friend the Ford Falcon XR8. Tidy 8.45, next lap is wash & repeat with an all to easy 7.48. I approach two cars on the GP circuit in my third lap, however I come up to them both trying to get into the chicane at the same time, so no room for me, but boy, do they break early for that! Both passed before entry to Nord', dispatch again I'm lonely on the track, and record another 7.52, followed by an unremarkable but average, 8.01.

I think 19hrs are now up, 5 hours to go... hmmm different strategies... Looks like it is going to stay fine...

Last edited:
I have also put off running this race for too long, so I gave it a whirl this week.
I tuned a Sauber Mercedes to 700 PP and was satisfied with the long test runs in the dry. 4 laps easily on RM tires, with 5 laps possible. Starting grid consisted of Mazda 787B, Toyota GT-1 LM, Judd Pescarolo, Peugot 905,Toyota 7, Audi R8, Ford Mark IV, Jaguar XJ220, '63 Vette, Blitz ER34, can't remember the last one...
By the 5th hour I had lapped the entire field, the Mazda being the second place car.

The rain came around the 10th hour. Green Hell in the pitch blackness? No problem!
But in the rain, I was blown away by how innefective my headlamps were. I could only see the curbs when my lamps were aimed at them. I hadn't chosen my car based on the strength of its' headlamps, and wondered how the Toyota7 even managed to get around without ANY visible headlamps.
As grip reduction gradually increased, my question was: Has the latest patch ironed out the difference between Rain tires and Intermediate tires? The answer is an emphatic NO. I ran at least 10 seconds/lap faster on Intermediates, best wet lap - 8:45.
During the night I lapped the Mazda 4 more times, despite going off countless times.
The rain finally ended around the 17 hour mark, then roughly 45 minutes for the track to dry. I put 2 more laps on the 2nd place Mazda, on the way to a dissapointingly easy victory. I had the idea in my head to park my Silver Arrow in my pit box for the last half hour and drink some beers LOL, but I didn't...The most memorable moments were seeing the damage to the other cars as I passed. The severely bent wing on the Audi R8, and the Ford Mark IV seemed bent in half! I Lol'd hard at that one.
165 laps completed in total, best lap - 7:34 flat.

Both Barrels it must've been torture being THAT far ahead, at least this has provided 16hrs of entertainment however now being a lap ahead the 'enjoyment' has passed. However I don't know what car with less PP would still get it done.

Update 03/01

Hungover from my friends birthday yesterday I decided I only need to 'lap' for time.

I came out of pits level with the BMW F1 GTR and took it at the first corner. The lap completed at a leisurely 8.58. With a spin at Adenauer-Forst I clock a 8.01, next lap an equally unimpressive 8.04, with a spin at Bergwerk, and passing the Audi R8 LMS at the 'dipper'. Last lap a little better, passed the Ford Falcon XR8 going into the chicane on GP circuit and come into the pits registering a 8.00.

Next stint is a little better but still scrappy, afterall it was a big night last night. A 8.46 out, followed by a 7.52, seeing off the Corvette C5R at Klostertal. Next lap has a couple offs and only memorable due to 20hrs coming up, yes I'm now counting down, 7.57. In lap is a nightmare and record a pedestrian 8.15, passing the Ford Mk IV at Wehrseifen.

Still in clear air, but not a clear head, I reel off a 8.48, followed by a 7.50, a car in the pits as I pass but The Ford Falcon XR8 comes out and passed before the third corner. I get a BIG tow from the Mazda 787B down the straight, but can't catch, this helps to make the 7.51 lap time, so ity must be close to a PB. Finally get the Mazda 787B into the third corner, and catch the Audi R8 LMS at Flugplatz. cycle finishes with a 8.01.

Retake the Audi R8 LMS into Flugplatz, and the lap is a tidy 8.47. Next lap is respectable 7.52, where 21hrs comes up. Start the third lap a get the Corvette C5R into the first corner coming out of the pits, another car is in there, two moments in the lap slow it to 7.57. Last lap I race past the Audi R10 TDI at Exmuhle, and have another couple of moments, rounding off the stint with 8.08.

Have my first 'good' lap for a while on outlap, re-passing the Mazda 787B at Wehrseifen, and the Ford Falcon XR8 helps in getting a tow down the straight, rapid 8.44. No cars for third lap, until passing the Ford Mk IV just onto the straight, however it's tow can't get me onto the Courage C60's slipstream, record a 7.49. Courage goes into pit and again I have clear track, going off once I click off a very good 7.52. Next lap nothing happens of any note and come into the pits with a 7.57, and 21hrs 48mins completed...

Night 03/01

2hrs 12 mins to go, I think I'm gonna feel every minute of it.

Outlap is a absolute blinder, flying past the Audi R8 LMS just after the right hand sweeper two turns into the Nord', a PB in 8.40, nest lap has a little spin in the GP section and then the Corvette C5R gives me a huge tow down the straight for a 7.57, 22 hours come up on the lap. Next lap is very quick also, the Ford Falcon is passed just onto the straight at end of lap, 7.50. The cycle is round out in a 7.57.

Next cycle I only see one car for the entire 4 laps. Outlap sets the tone for the stint with a 8.43, next lap is the best of the race with a 7.45.604, followed by another PB for lap 3, 7.49.794, where I see the Ford Mk IV just passed the Carousel. Last lap 7.58.

Outlap is 8.45, with 23hrs coming up at Hohe Ache, and the Corvette C5R after the 'dipper'. Lap 2 was 7.57, passing the Audi R8 LMS at the hairpin on GP section. Ford Falcon XR8 is dispatched for the umpteenth time at Adenauer-Forst. Then have two minor spins that cost about 3 secs each time. Lap 3 flys by with 7.53, in lap a 7.58, both seeing no cars.

Coming into the pit. 23hrs 26mins gone, so it means I'll have to do 5 laps... I take 85 fuel units to get to 87. The lap was great and record a 8.58, 2nd lap another good one with 7.49, third lap comes and goes in 7.52, 10 mins to go on the straight. Lead is I lap plus the the time it takes to get to Stellstrecke, so in the region of 13-14mins. 4th lap I go past the Ford Falcon XR8 (results would show it was 28 laps behind) going up to Carousel. 7.58. The lap starts with about 1 min 30 secs remaining. The Ford Mk IV come out of the pits and I beat it to the 1st corner, past the Corvette C5R at Adenauer-Forst, and the Audi R10 TDI at Wehrseifen. Tyres are quite bad in the last half of the lap but I cross the line, 8.12, to take the victory. 24hrs 7mins in all.

177 laps, all in about as good of weather you could get. Best lap 7.45.604, finishing PP 636.

I was hoping to save replay to report each cars fastest lap, however it didn't give me option of replay save...

Reflection: The cars handles like a dream and I may've been able to do it without the change of the top speed. Once I was a lap up alot of the fun went out of it, but I don't know what would be the next car down in making it closer. But 24hrs and losing narrowly would really suck.

Last edited:
Well done on the victory and the interesting reporting as you've gone along.

I do want to try the 24h races as they are the only ones I have left to do in A-spec, but it will take some planning to find the time, even in 2-3hr stints.

Ta iainn, if you can chose something that doesn't 'dominate' the opposition, else the race will be like pulling teeth and you'll struggle to motivate yourself to even do a 2hr stint. I reported the way I did so people get and idea of the pace of the opposition. Lesser car could conceivably tackle a slower field.

Despite all the laps, I still hate the first two corners, and not to enthused of the GP circuit. On the Nord' the left hander after Brunnchen still annoys me.

It's nice that you were able to make a somewhat close race of it. I may have won by a wide margin, but I'm fascinated by the number of laps you were able to complete in a car considerably slower than the Silver Arrow that I ran. 177 vs. 165. Through the 7 hours of pouring rain in the blackness I was only able to lap around 8:45ish. It was anything but boring. The slightest lack of focus and I was off, occasionally even losing track of what section I was in!

It helped it being perfect conditions, I can't imagine the game actually giving up a better 24 Hrs, weather wise. With my 'slower' car it meant I couldn't afford to have lack of concentration, I had two bad cycles, the one where I was 38 secs slower and the first stint when hungover. Other than that there were only a few things here and there... I think I got alot outta of it, not every second it's capable of, but a fair piece of it.

While I don't consider myself blindingly fast, many moons ago when I was playing alot more I did compete in WRS (GT4 days) and did ok, there or thereabouts, but that was with controller where I am quicker. The wheel makes it alot harder to go full 100% time attack, but I can still lap reasonably quickly consistently. I consider my best lap in the race to be the third lap 7.49 towards the end.

Try the car if you have it, the only change I performed on it was changing the top speed setting to 350kmh. Bone stock in every other aspect apart from mag and colour change. I'll think you'll be surprised actually how quick it can be, and a 'safer' quick at that.

Latest Posts

Back