Nurburgring 4 Hour Endurance

• Thread starter Seismica
  • 6 comments

Seismica

Premium
United Kingdom
Guisborough
GTP_Seismica
Car used: Toyota Supra SZ-R '97 (6.2m, no oil, stage 1 weight reduction, Transmission, Suspension and Brake balance upgrades) 200 points

Lineup #21

Subara Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C '04
BMW M coupe '98
BMW M3 '04
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Ford Focus RS '02
Toyota Supra SZ-R '97

For a long time I have been looking for a car to run this race for 200 points. The thought never occured to me to use my favourite car, the Toyota Supra. Sure, it's only the little brother of my favourite, but the looks are still the same and the handling is still good. The best thing is, the low power on the SZ-R compared to my ~900bhp RZ means there is no wheelspin 👍

The first lap is pretty easy, I pass 4 other cars and then I just have to catch the lead Impreza. It quickly became evident (Around halfway through the first lap) that this would be a two horse race, and pit strategy would play an important role. However, due to my heavy car with a very uneven weight distribution, I knew my front tires would not last any longer than 4-5 laps so I have to push hard to try and gain an advantage on the track. I catch the Impreza at the beginning of lap 2, only to lose the place on the long straight section on the far side of the circuit. I kept up with him until the main straight where I managed to get a toe and clocked a lap of 8'11.065 after passing him in the final few bends.

The next couple of laps there was nothing in it, it was such close racing. He was ahead on the straights and I was ahead in the corners. I get the feeling though, that I am infact holding him up when I am ahead, which would be no surprise with him in his performance rally inspired machine and me in my soft heavy GT cruiser.

I pitted in on lap 4, whilst just behind the Impreza. This meant when I came out of the pits he had pulled a 22 second gap, I knew I had to work hard to close the gap so that he rejoins behind me after his pit stop. But his arrogance in thinking he can go 5 laps rather than 4 on his tires, meant he closed the gap for me, as towards the end of the lap he was going off every corner. I passed him on the right hander just leading on to the main straight. He passes me towards the end due to his higher top speed, only to turn into the pits to finally replace his heavily worn tires. The 20 second advantage he has gained had now reversed. By the end of lap 6 the gap stood at 33 seconds. By the end of lap 7 that gap had reduced by 6 seconds, but that was more down to my mistakes that lap Nevertheless, it was clear that he was in the faster car and I had to keep driving consistently if I was going to win this race.

At the end of lap 8 I take my second pitstop. And much to my surprise, I re-join behind the Impreza. I don't know how that happened, last I checked I was 26 seconds ahead :indiff:. Anyway, I keep on going and overtake him around a third of the way around the lap, and keep myself ahead until the next lap where once again he decides to stay out and his tires start to leave him. Then he eventually pits at the end of lap 10. After he rejoined, I had a 55 second lead (At this point I am 1 hour 25 minutes in), which puts me in a very good position, I doubt he will have the opportunity to catch me again, as I calculate I will still be at least 20-25 seconds ahead after my pitstop on lap 12.

At the start of lap 12 my lead has increased to 1'03 and I set a new best laptime of 8'10.957 (Which is quite an improvement, seen as I didn't get the extra time from the slipstream on the straights). I keep pushing hard because I know this lead will begin to diminish shortly when my opponent's tires have worn in a bit.

I pit at the end of lap 12 and I emerge 33 seconds ahead, which was better than I expected. At this point the race appears to be a forlorn conclusion, as his in-laps are always painfully slow than it's costing him the equivalent of a pit stop each time, just so he can run a slightly longer strategy, which doesn't really make sense :lol: I am relieved at this, but deep down I am disappointed, this could have been such a close race if he had pitted on every 4th lap instead of every 5th.

The half way point, 2 hours in, Lap 15, 36 seconds ahead. The Impreza's tires should be wearing out about now, by the time I enter lap 16 I should be well over a minute ahead, as he has to pit aswell. I also have the distinct feeling I will not lap anyone in this race, which is a shame (Although the times below, contradict that feeling).

The current positions are:

Toyota Supra SZ-R '97: 2:02'23.180
Subaru Impreza: +0'36.611
BMW M3: +2'20.000
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R: +2'35.000
BMW M coupe: +4'40.000
Ford Focus RS: +4'55.000

*Bottom 4 times are estimates based on track positions

After the Impreza had his pitstop, I was comfortably ahead by a margin of 1'15.9xx

Lap 19 I set a new fastest lap of 8'09.986 and I am currently 50 seconds ahead of the Impreza. The gap has closed because I've now pitted 4 times and him, only 3. If my calculations are correct, I would be around 10-15 seconds ahead at this point if he was on a 4 lap pit strategy

Coming to the end of lap 20, and for my 5th pit stop. -1'11.242 was the split time to the Impreza whilst I was just entering the 21st lap. It should stay about the same because the Impreza had to pit that lap too.

Lap 23, still 1'15 ahead of the Impreza. I'm past the 3 hour point now, and the Ford Focus RS is in my sights, it looks like I will lap some cars after all :)

Halfway around lap 26, 3 hours 30 minutes in. The standings are as follows:

Toyota Supra SZ-R '97: 3:31'52.120
Subaru Impreza: +1'32.477
BMW M3: +4'00.000
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R: +4'15.000
BMW M coupe: +1 Lap
Ford Focus RS: +1 Lap

At this point I thought the race was won, I thought the next few laps were going to be completely uneventful.

I was wrong.

On lap 28, I forgot to pit :ouch:. I didn't realise until turn 6 of lap 29 (With less than 8 minutes left until the 4 hour marks, it was the last lap), by which time it was too late. My tires were gone, and I wasn't fueled to run another lap, I had no choice but to turn around and try and salvage my race. As I ran the circuit backwards to re-enter the pitlane, I saw the Impreza pass me. My 1 minute 40 second lead was gone, and after the pit stop the split times showed he had gained a 35 second advantage. My race was over, I had to concede second place.

But I soldiered on, in the hope that some miracle would allow me to re-take the lead. Fueled for one lap only and smarting S2 tires (I didn't think to buy S3s) I took every little shortcut across the grass, pushed the car harder than I had ever done and even used the BMW Coupe as a bumper at one point. But alas it was not good enough.

The final standings were:

SUbaru Impreza: 4:02'42.406
Toyota Supra SZ-R '97: 4:03'09.832
BMW M3: --'--.---
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R: --'--.---
BMW M coupe: --'--.---
Ford Focus RS: --'--.---

Big disappointment and a big waste of 4 hours of my life. How could I forget to pit? My mind was elsewhere... :nervous:

I managed to reduce the gap to 27.4 seconds

One thing I have learnt from this race is, the engine noise of the SZ-R is horrible, it sounds like it is constantly struggling. It's like a whiny teenager with a sore throat, it really is horrible and so very annoying. It's enough to make your ears bleed, unlike the strong growl of the Turbo powered RZ. But the engine noise is needed for shifting :( I'm glad I race with the music on.

Next time I attempt this race for 200 points, it will be in a different car. Suggestions anyone? :P

Last edited:
Seeing as you only lost because you had to turn around and head back to the pits, use the Supra again. If you hate the sound of the engine so much, turn off engine sound and just listen to music for 4 hours.

If you want to use a different car, how about a non-turbo MR-2 SW20 (2nd generation)? It can keep with any Toyota theme you were planning.

If I could find a lineup with say, a Delta Integrale rather than an Impreza, I could do the race in almost any car with 200-250bhp.

I have picked out a few, A Toyota MR2 G-limited '97, a Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO SR '96 (This car gives me so many memories from GT1, even though again it's the less powerful model), A Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero '02 (At least I think it's '02) or maybe even an old Skyline or Evo from the late 80s/early 90s. (Or maybe even a Mitsubishi Galant).

I just can't decide. I think i'll re-do the race tomorrow, but not in the Supra, and not with the same lineup.

Again, I can't believe I was stupid enough to miss the pit-lane. I actually did this on my 24 hours of La Sarthe II aswell, but at least that time I was like 5 laps ahead so It didn't really cost me :P

It's not, '99 is the latest model in GT4. ;)
And it's been used to steal 200 points at this race before!
(By more than 1 person if I recall correctly, I'm sure someone else's report is out there somewhere too.)

I've decided against using that car for that very reason :)

Good Luck with this in whatever you try, but why not keep it completely stock (save for S1 tyres and an oil change if necessary) and come and join The CLUB 200 List? :D

I'm going to use the Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87 on this attempt. On S1 tires at 215bhp (No oil change) it is faster than the upgraded Supra around the track. A little bit harder to control, but that will make it a bit more challenging and it will force me to concentrate some more :D

The problem is whether I can get all 200 points as this car is much lighter, and even in the Supra I had to add 2 Ballast (That's right, Just 2) to make the 200 points and that was ~170kg heavier than this car.

Nice choice with the Lotus. Haven't tempted taking a mid-engine around the ring for 4hrs. Let us know how the tire wear behaves. I was going to suggest an RX-7 RZ, used old oil, S2 and/or S3 (240hp) for 200pts.

I found a line-up that put a Corvette Grande Sport in my rear view mirror for 4 hrs straight. He matched my pit stops and stayed 3 to 15secs behind me the whole time. 4hrs flew by.

It was a great race.

I did try the Lotus. I went through maybe 50 lineups and the only 200 pointers included either an Elise, a Speedster/VX220 or an NSX. I don't think they're beatable to be honest.

Anybody know if there is a 'magic' lineup to use on the PAL version of the game?

I did kind of lose interest after lineup hunting for so long. So I instead started the F1 championship with an Audi R8 for 200 points, just to get them out of the way.

Back