Nurburgring B spec

• Thread starter alistair
  • 19 comments

What do you think my B Spec result will be tomorrow?

• Total voters
Hi everyone,

Just thought you would like to hear of my remarkable B Spec victory on the first afternoon I have had the game (Wednesday). I entered a B spec arcade race around 10 laps of the Nurburgring, covering 121 miles of racing.
I manage the Volvo team and today's car was a Volvo S60 T5 with 292 bhp. I was up against a Mitsubishi, new Golf and BMW M3 to name just three.
Within three laps my driver had established a 10 second lead, which, just after he pitted, shot up to 1 minute, because the guys behind me all pitted at the same time. On fresh rubber, my driver reduced his lap times impressively, and pitted with a 1m 26 lead. He emerged with a 1 minute advantage on Lap 7, and crossed the line on Lap ten with a 1m 29 victory in 1 hr, 29 minutes. It was a good race, but next time the competition could well be tougher.

Hmmmmm, another thread that's nothing to do with write-ups. There's already been lots of disscussions where you could write this.

Great achievment though. I'm doing it in B-Spec now. 13 hours have been. Towards the end I might turn to A-Spec mode.

I agree. with dori-san. That qualifies as a writeup in my book. I would prefer longer more detailed ones done in A-Spec, but something new and on topic is refreshing.

I wasn't having a good time this morning, sorry. It's still a bit pointless making a thread on this though in my opinion.

dhwebb
Uh let's see.

Tomorrow I am going to manage the same car, a Volvo S60 T5 around 20 laps of the Nurburgring (258 miles) instead of 10. I have turned up the AI competition from +1 to +2 and I think it's going to be tougher to win.
Wish me luck! :)

Your B spec driver seems very good, when I read other threads the most people say B spec sucks or drives worse.

And I have to say it my self. I did a race in arcade with the Dodge Ram versus all those slow Fiat 500's etc and I was first before the first corner. Then I did the same race on B-spec and put it on level 3 and he finished 5th!!!

fonza
How do you change the level on b-spec?

If you go into Arcade mode, then select your race and car. When you have selected the car, you will see a mini screen with Transmission selector, tyre compound selector, and at the bottom an option that says AI Cars. There's a slider that changes from -10 to +10 and that's how fast and aggressively the AI drivers go. But they get better very, very quickly. Hope this helps.

Liquid LiON - My B Spec driver is quite good, and you're right, but what the other people are probably doing is telling him to push too hard, or keep him too aggressive. The important thing is to strike a fine balance between how fast you go through the corners, and keeping an eye on your tyres and fuel. That way you can be more competetive.
Another thing that could contribute to it is the fact that the B Spec driver has collected most of his experience behind the wheel of a powerful, aerodynamically balanced and above all reliable car. In a 3 hr test last night, he racked up nearly 300 miles on the Nurburgring by himself. So that puts me in good shape for my race tomorrow.

Everyone else watch this space for my more detailed write up.

On the subject of increasing number of laps in arcade races, how come they stop you at 50 laps these days instead of letting you go on up to 99 laps? Like on GT3?> Anyone know?

alistair
If you go into Arcade mode, then select your race and car. When you have selected the car, you will see a mini screen with Transmission selector, tyre compound selector, and at the bottom an option that says AI Cars. There's a slider that changes from -10 to +10 and that's how fast and aggressively the AI drivers go. But they get better very, very quickly. Hope this helps.

It helps alot but is there any way of changing the level on gt mode as i find it quite easy.

fonza
It helps alot but is there any way of changing the level on gt mode as i find it quite easy.

Sorry I don't know about that. I'll have an experiment with it tonight, or tomorrow after my race. By the way, does any one have any suggestions as to what pit strategy I should use for my race? I was thinking a simple "every three laps strategy" to change the tyres, and let the fuel run down until about Lap 12, and then refuel then. If anyone has any other ideas I could try, please let me know! I've been doing pages of calculations and running countless simulations to see what would be the best.

alistair
Sorry I don't know about that. I'll have an experiment with it tonight, or tomorrow after my race. By the way, does any one have any suggestions as to what pit strategy I should use for my race? I was thinking a simple "every three laps strategy" to change the tyres, and let the fuel run down until about Lap 12, and then refuel then. If anyone has any other ideas I could try, please let me know! I've been doing pages of calculations and running countless simulations to see what would be the best.

Thanks for your help. Sorry dont have any suggestions towards your question

That's OK. Anyone else got any ideas?
Reminder:

Car: Volvo S60 T5 - 292 bhp - unchanged since last race
Currently achieved victory in Round 1 by 1m 29seconds (129 miles).
Then completed a major testing session - 554.7 miles.
Total mileage so far: 683.7 miles.

The only rule is that there can be no modifications to the engine, it has to be kept at the same power output for all the races.

By the way I forgot to mention this was my own personal Arcade championship, spread of 10 races at the Nurburgring:

Round 1 - Wednesday (10 laps - 1st place)
Round 2 - Saturday (tomorrow, 20 laps)
Round 3 - Next Saturday , (30 laps)
Round 4 - Following Saturday, (40 laps)
Round 5 - (50 laps)
Round 6 - (50 laps)
Round 7 - (40 laps)
Round 8 - (30 laps)
Round 9 - (20 laps)
Round 10 - (10 laps)

Total - 3,870 miles (on one engine)

Acid X
What race was this? I'd like to enter it.. Seems like a fun race. :)

Acid X - Please do let me know what your results are like, and share your racing tips with me. I will be happy to hear how you have got on.
:)

I find the best way to raise a successfull B-spec AI player is to break his will at an early age. Force him out of bed at 4 in the morning every morning starting at age 2 and make him drive you to the track. Constantly tell him his only chance at success in life and the only chance he'll ever have at escaping and entering the "non-virtual" world outside of gran turismo is to be a 100% successfull AI driver. If he ever breaks down, a little virtual beating now and then should toughen him up. Inevitably, the blossoming years of puberty will arrive in your young AI driver's life. Many distractions will often take place as a result of your AI driver's changing hormones and this could affect his racing performance. I figure your best option is to anesthetisize and castrate the young virtual lads 'appartus' so as to avoid these distractions. If he asks any questions about it after waking up, just swear up and down that it was just a bad dream. In fact, "it was just a bad dream" is usually the perfect response for almost any philosophical or otherwise complex questions your AI driver might present you with. By the ripe age of 24 years or so, you should have a completely subserviant and wickedly skilled AI driver on your hands. Also, throughout your AI drivers upbringing, remember to feed and water him in the morning, occasionally taking him for walks in the afternoons as a reward for good track times. When it comes time for your proud little creation to retire, just tell him that hes finally earned his passage out of the "virtual world" of gran turismo. Tell him he needs to get into the "magic teleporter" alone while you close and lock the door. This "magic teleporter" should actually be the old dog cage out back behind the shed near his virtual home. Tell him the teleportation process takes time and to be patient. There he will happily spend the rest of his days in 'sleep' mode, constantly dreaming of the new sights and sounds he will be exposed to when he finally 'magically teleports' outside of his slave like existence from inside your copy of Gran Turismo 4. 👍
;)

KurtG
I find the best way to raise a successfull B-spec AI player is to break his will at an early age. Force him out of bed at 4 in the morning every morning starting at age 2 and make him drive you to the track. Constantly tell him his only chance at success in life and the only chance he'll ever have at escaping and entering the "non-virtual" world outside of gran turismo is to be a 100% successfull AI driver. If he ever breaks down, a little virtual beating now and then should toughen him up. Inevitably, the blossoming years of puberty will arrive in your young AI driver's life. Many distractions will often take place as a result of your AI driver's changing hormones and this could affect his racing performance. I figure your best option is to anesthetisize and castrate the young virtual lads 'appartus' so as to avoid these distractions. If he asks any questions about it after waking up, just swear up and down that it was just a bad dream. In fact, "it was just a bad dream" is usually the perfect response for almost any philosophical or otherwise complex questions your AI driver might present you with. By the ripe age of 24 years or so, you should have a completely subserviant and wickedly skilled AI driver on your hands. Also, throughout your AI drivers upbringing, remember to feed and water him in the morning, occasionally taking him for walks in the afternoons as a reward for good track times. When it comes time for your proud little creation to retire, just tell him that hes finally earned his passage out of the "virtual world" of gran turismo. Tell him he needs to get into the "magic teleporter" alone while you close and lock the door. This "magic teleporter" should actually be the old dog cage out back behind the shed near his virtual home. Tell him the teleportation process takes time and to be patient. There he will happily spend the rest of his days in 'sleep' mode, constantly dreaming of the new sights and sounds he will be exposed to when he finally 'magically teleports' outside of his slave like existence from inside your copy of Gran Turismo 4. 👍
;)

OK

Hi - it's Alistair again, bringing you the results of my 20 lap race of the Nurburgring, raced on Saturday morning, with a Volvo S60. Having dominated the first round of the championship, I decided to move the skill arrow up to +2. I was actually thinking that the race would be close.
My rivals were a Honda Civic, two Honda Integras, a Lexus IS300 and Fiat Punto.

Lap 1 - The S60 starts aggressively from 6th, and charges up through the field. He overwhelms the Fiat and the Lexus with stunning moves around the outside of the 140 mph left hander after turns 3 and 4. He then proceeds to hound the two integras, sweeping past them at the entrance to the long straight.
He now streaks up behind the Civic, and dives to the left and right on the main straight, before getting past, (two wheels on the grass) on the uphill run towards the Start Finish line.

LAP 2 - Now comes the impressive stuff. The S60 driver get's his foot down and flys off into the distance. He is blindingly fast, but also quite ragged at this stage and seems quick to attack the track.

Lap 3 - Order: S60, Civic, Integra, Integra, Lexus, Fiat.

I would do this for the next 17 laps, trying to make it exciting, but unfortunatley, I can't really. The reason for this is that the Volvo S60 was absolutley dominant. It flattened everyone on track, with a superb, blistering drive. He lapped consistently quicker than anyone else on track.
Such was his dominance that by the end of the race (in just under 3 hours), he had a 2 minute win over the Civic, and the Fiat was 7 minutes 03 secs behind!!!

I really don't know how he was so strong, especially as it was only in Arcade mode, but the upshot of it is, that Team Volvo Racing are on the up, and have had two convincing victories from two starts in this little championship of mine.

Now. Next round is next Saturday at the Le Mans circuit de la Sarthe 2 (the one with an unbroken 4 mile straight. The car will be at full throttle for an astonishing 47% of this entire 30 lap race. I'll put up another poll, and please be my guest, and tell me where you think we'll come in the next race!! Difficulty is going to jump to 4.

Keep racing you guys. I'll post the next Volvo Racing report next Monday!!!

Back