Nurburgring Race Series - Week 9 - Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_George
  • 55 comments
  • 2,733 views
Man you guys are FAST... I didn't have time to play all that much, but did manage a T10 of 6'35.846... Which ain't 'that' great, but at least its clean and steady ;)

6'16??? Holy Crap! LOL

I got a Max speed of 197 ... if i pull out of the last curve faster i'm sure i can get the extra 3... :)
 
RedOak
Man you guys are FAST... I didn't have time to play all that much, but did manage a T10 of 6'35.846... Which ain't 'that' great, but at least its clean and steady ;)

6'16??? Holy Crap! LOL

I got a Max speed of 197 ... if i pull out of the last curve faster i'm sure i can get the extra 3... :)


Thats not a bad time RedOak keep plugging away, Im finding the SL will let you treat it rough in the corners, late braking and early power it just shrugs off and fires you back up the road! Brake too late though and its a different story....!

Somecorners work well in this on part throttle and its a bit edgy through the Flugplatz for me...

Im planning an all out assault on this at the weekend if i manage to get enough sleep to actually start functioning correctly again anytime soon :sick:

Really quite like this cars overall package 👍

cheers

Dave
 
Dave_George
Scaff has done some tyre tests that proved the N2 and N3 were closest to real world results, he used an M3 and did a variety of tests and then compared the results, quite scary how close they were!!

Feel free to try the S2s if your prefer, i cant see any reason for not allowing the tyres to be changed as long as the grip level doesnt go up 👍

cheers

Dave

It's not that I really want to run S2s, I'm well aware that the S3s will be quicker. It's simply that as the tyres get grippier, the grip limits are sharper which makes it more difficult to approach those limits. Because you're carrying so much extra speed due to the extra grip, when you do exceed the limits it all ends very badly.

Regarding the N tyres, I know they're the closest to real world cars in terms of times but I don't think they're the closest in terms of feel. (Oh jeez, I'm starting to sound like Kent :rolleyes: )

I actually find the N tyres to make the car behave more like a rally car on dirt. When you're driving on dirt the car is sliding ALL the time, and the trick is to flow between the corners using the drift of the car to point you in the right direction. Driving on N tyres gives me a similar feel.

I fear that as the cars get quicker and the emphasis shifts to maximising grip levels without exceeding them, I will start to struggle.
 
well i officially hate this car... I don't know why, but it just won't grip at high speed...corners i'm used to take flatout will kill me in this roofless junk ;)

yet, new T10: 6'31.341
 
Hi folks

Having a better time this week, though it took a a few laps to get into the feel of the
Merc, compared to the last weeks Lotus a BIG difference in feel.

Best T10 - 6.26 .3 (With a huge fishtail coming out of Schwalbenschwanz, cost a couple).

Have set myself a target for a nice round number this week, Good luck everyone 👍.

@ Soyfu, Hi mate , yes the SL55 got my first vote, Vanquish then Spyker

I have to agree with Goixoye's post, this series has been a big help to me as well
in understanding setup a lot better, and just progressing with the game. I too
have the dreaded M34 completed, something I thought I would never do, because
the waiting around at the start killed me, took me 3 goes and it was done Yehhaa !!

So Dave take a bow, and I hope the series continues on for a while yet. 👍


Steve
 
Hi All,

@Steve, thanks mate, once again to hear positive feedback like that makes this more than worth the effort 👍 We have a couple more weeks of road cars and then a few weeks of race cars followed by a series finale. I hope you are not all fed up by then, Im personally enjoying driving the ring more and more each week, i think i can do it justice now and even think i have a good base to start from when i go for real :)

@RedOak, I see despite not likeing it you knocked off 4 seconds at T10, excellent work mate, I didnt have problems with high speed grip so trying my settings might be worth a go?

@Vt, I know what you mean about the tyres mate. Problem is we already know GT4 is X amount faster than real life for any given track and car combo, when you remove the fear factor and all the other perspective issues we can go so much faster....all except for the tyres of course, i think the GT4 game engine is allowing the theoretical limits of the tyres to be reached where in RL you would have backed off way before that happened, which in my opinion is why we can still go quick on N tyres but as you say it feels like your drving on dirt all the time! I am in the process of producing an article which is a direct comparison with GT4 and RL laps of the Nurburgring and its not in the Yellowbird so hopefully will demonstrate the differences quite graphically between the two. So far in this series my fave tyres have been the N3 and S1 which is probably due to being able to feel the car progressively let go and "Move" around a lot more, The grippier tyres get in GT4 the more it feels like an arcade game and less of a simulation. For me though its still by far the best there is 👍

@Soyfu, My vote was for the SL 1st also mate, I always vote 1st before i read any of your votes, that way it stops me being swayed from one car to another....

cheers all

Dave
 
LOL, since we're all seem to be giving due praise to Dave, I thought I'd join it.

Didn't manage a clean lap yet this week, but I feel I must be able to bring home a T10 of around 6'20.

When I got onto the grass yesterday evening for the 30th or so time, I got frustrated and took a break. Following goixoye's example, I also decided to give the impossible M34 another try.

Best I got before this series was about 8 seconds short. Yesterday I got it in 3 tries :D First try, I was just pushing too hard and had a spectacular crash at Schwedenkreuz. :p

Second try I had one 5 seconds-penalty on the way but still managed to be right on the gullwing's tail at the very last corner. Unfortunatelly I crashed into it's tail and this second penalty caused me to lose the mission.

Third try I had a little off at Adenauer and also picked up one 5-sec penalty somewhere else. But still I managed to beat the gullwing with about 3 seconds to spare :-D

So, thanx Dave. This is all because of my better knowledge of the ring, due to your series!!

Now, if I could just get a clean lap this week :p
 
it looks nice
 
OnlyMe
LOL, since we're all seem to be giving due praise to Dave, I thought I'd join it.

Didn't manage a clean lap yet this week, but I feel I must be able to bring home a T10 of around 6'20.

When I got onto the grass yesterday evening for the 30th or so time, I got frustrated and took a break. Following goixoye's example, I also decided to give the impossible M34 another try.

Best I got before this series was about 8 seconds short. Yesterday I got it in 3 tries :D First try, I was just pushing too hard and had a spectacular crash at Schwedenkreuz. :p

Second try I had one 5 seconds-penalty on the way but still managed to be right on the gullwing's tail at the very last corner. Unfortunatelly I crashed into it's tail and this second penalty caused me to lose the mission.

Third try I had a little off at Adenauer and also picked up one 5-sec penalty somewhere else. But still I managed to beat the gullwing with about 3 seconds to spare :-D

So, thanx Dave. This is all because of my better knowledge of the ring, due to your series!!

Now, if I could just get a clean lap this week :p


Cheers Bart 👍

I think maybe you guys could have achieved your goals also through the sheer amount of laps you may well have done of the Ring now....just knowing a rough idea of correct line and where you can push and where to be steady can gain you loads of time. Good luck in your quest for the clean lap :) I found a clean one a few days back and now out in the hunt for the clean quick lap that im sure this motor is capable of!

dave
 
Well Dave, you were right about yoru settings, it did help me quite a bit. But i haven't changed my opinion on the car tho, i really don't like it. It feels completly off in my hands. For me its the worst week so far :(

none the less, here's my new and final T10 since i'm off for the weekend: T10: 6'22.583
I guess its a pretty good time, but i'm not very pleased with my performance... Lots of sideways and pretty much 2 tires on the bricks or on some grass here and there all the time... can't keep this car straight... Carrousel is completly sideways... so is the last curve before the long straight.

oh well, have a nice weekend guys.
 
Finally got my first clean lap today. Based my settings on the ones Dave posted a couple of days ago. Just made a few minor changes to them. I'll try to remember to post them later. The lap was about a second or 2 slower than I thought it would be, but I took it quiet carfully between T8 and T10.

T1: 0'45.126
T2: 1'19.437

T3: 1'47.586
T4: 2'38.712
T5: 3'16.579
T6: 3'42.521
T7: 4'33.407
T8: 5'17.094
T9: 5'38.873
T10: 6'22.217

Updated the board, and I think the times so far are closer together than ever. Only 10 sec's between first and last. Also, no time for Nat yet :confused:
 
Well i had a session of about 5 laps this morning trying different spring settings and ride heights, had countless restarts and got fed up, actually bettered my time but was dirty lap....so i gave up in disgust! :yuck:

Settled down to watch "Papillon" on dvd and halfway through got the calling to go for another lap, first lap chasing no ghost i managed this :

T1 44.371
T2 1'18.740
T3 1'46.825
T4 2'37.642
T5 3'15.253
T6 3'41.596
T7 4'31.594
T8 5'14.229
T9 5'35.584
T10 6'17.634

This was with my settings exactly as posted a few days ago, i found that if i did everything a fraction of a second before i normally would the SL responds better, maybe due to the weight involved and the reaction time of the suspension etc, had an error in the KM11 corner just before Klostertal and lost a good 10mph and also overcooked coming into the KM13 Hohe Acht section but generally tried to be smooth and consistent with the car and it seemed to work. Overall lap time was 3 seconds up on my previous best with my T10 sector approx 2.3 better than previously which was surprising as i thought on this lap that i took the last section very carefully perhaps being overcautious in the heavy braking zone.....but the times show being carefull and smooth was lots quicker! :)

Pleased with this 👍

cheers

Dave
 
Hi guys

Dave asked me to have a look at the car and put some settings up, so here they are.

All Front then Rear

Spring Rate 4.8 / 4.6
Ride Height 105/107
Damper 4/5
Camber 1.8/0.7

Brake Bias 6/3

This is quite a trick car to tune with just the semi-racing suspension, you either have to bias for understeer or oversteer. Dave's settings were very strongly biased towards oversteer (stiff rear, higher rear and stiffer rear damper), which may explain why the brake bias at the rear got iffy above 2.

The settings above give a little more understeer on corner entry, but are a lot more forgiving on corner exit. Which may suit a few people, at least its nice to have a choice anyway.

Please remember this is not a critisim of Dave's settings, just how I found them and how they compare to mine (I always set the car up without looking at anyone elses.

Regards

Scaff

BTW @ Kolyana Thanks for the feedback on last weeks settings, I never got a chance to reply in that thread, so my thansk go here.
 
Dave's set-up, AT, 2-hands, 219.1 miles, 197mph

T10: 6'23.104

I *THINK*I can get below 6'22. That's the goal anyway.

EDIT:
T10: 6'21.535 (-1.569) 👍
But I messed up the final sector and left 0.865 on the track :banghead: . 600.8 miles on the odometer, so for all my effort (381.7 miles) I'm only 0.704 quicker :grumpy: .

I've had enough of this...maybe I'll go pick on the AI drivers for a little while.
 
goixoye
Dave's set-up, AT, 2-hands, 219.1 miles, 197mph

T10: 6'23.104

I *THINK*I can get below 6'22. That's the goal anyway.



Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
nice one!

:irked:👍
 
New time from me, this will be my submitted lap:

T1: 0'44.147
T2: 1'17.778
T3: 1'45.423
T4: 2'35.037
T5: 3'12.687
T6: 3'38.265
T7: 4'27.324
T8: 5'09.159
T9: 5'30.426
T10: 6'12.891

I decided to go for a stiffer setup, I felt this made the car change direction more quickly even though the mid-corner understeer was still there. That made the second half of the track a bit faster for me.

6.0/5.7
100/107
8/9
2.7/0.6

Cheers everyone, and good luck.
 
I ran out of time this week, had a few parties to attend, and only managed two more laps, plus i forgot to save my settings last time i drove, and i was happy with the car then, so i was a bit frustrated with the fact that i couldnt get it back to what it was, quite...

anyway, im submitting, and i dont have any T's just remember seeing 6'14. at T10.

VT as ever, a fast lap from you, i know that your time is obtainable for me, given the time, its a lacklustre week i feel, the car drags you down somewhat with its reluctance to pivot sometimes, and extra gear changes and short shifts are needed to kick its ass, but still, i commend you on beating probably all of us by a few convincing seconds in this heavy lump of refusing to compromise metal.... if that makes any sense.... late nite, sorry.... :sick:

Dave, keep it up, and good idea for the christmas period, im looking forward to sitting the family on my DFP over the course of next weekend, and trying to get a good time on the ring too with the S-two thous.....oooops!

anyway, good luck everyone with the merc, see you in the results!

:irked:👍
 
had time to run a quick stint... now i know why clarkson got one of these... its a very pleasing car.

43.623
1'17.164
1'44.924
2'35.045
3'12.149
3'37.797
4'26.433
5'08.608
5'30.695
6'12.622
--> final submitted

left at least a full second (probably 2 or 3) on the track due to big mistakes in pretty much the whole 4th sector, Bergwerk, Brünnchen, and the last turn before the straight.

happy hollidays.
 
woops double post....

sorry....

bloody parties....

:irked:
 
vexd
but still, i commend you on beating probably all of us by a few convincing seconds in this heavy lump of refusing to compromise metal.... if that makes any sense.... late nite, sorry.... :sick:

I forgot to say, unless of course Dr Watson submits this week....

wow!

well done u lot...

:sick:👍
 
it is a good heavy car you know
 
Had a final go at this with the stiffer setting VTRacing posted, and although the car felt pretty good, I wasn't able to improve my time :indiff: Submitted the lap I posted a few days ago.
 
oh, i think my settings were
6.0 / 4.2
104 / 104
6 / 5
2.5 / 1.0

brake: 3 / 2 <- had to lower the rear after locking the rears @ 201mph and going sideways into a barrier.
 
man... how can you guys so fast?? Oh my god! my latest time was TERRIFING... i don't think i could ever do it again. I look at the map, look at how to take corners... but Damn!!
 
Congrats Dr W, nice to see you back here.

I would say that you'll end my winning streak for this week, because the end of my lap was very average indeed.

Nice time. 👍

EDIT: Just realised the results have already been posted. :dunce:
 
Back