Nvidia Ditches M line for laptop graphics

• Thread starter Smurfybug
  • 11 comments
United States
Keasbey, NJ
Smurfybug
Smurfybug
What this means is that you will get Desktop grade graphics in your laptop now. With the upcoming Razor Blade, you can have a Desktop 1060 in it! The cards will likely be a bit downgraded from their Desktop counterparts but highly comparable to them in likes of performance. The new series will be called the Geforce GTX 10 Series for Notebooks.

Specs:

GF10 Specs.png

Links:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/nvidia-pascal-laptop-specs-gtx-1080/
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/notebook

Last edited:
Not all that surprising really, the main reason for mobile GPUs is/was their compromise between performance and power consumption. I guess power consumption has fallen so far that they're just not worthwhile any more. Which is really cool! Progress is amazing.

Great, now I have a reason to hold off replacing my nearly-4-year-old laptop. :lol:

The laptop-grade 1070 has more CUDA cores than the desktop version? Seems a bit weird.

They're very close to their desktop variants, yes, but still a bit cut down, just like their mobile GPUs of the past have been. The only difference seems to be that the gap is much closer and there's no longer an "M" in the name.

Edit: Wow, nevermind, just read the specs, and it's a LOT closer. I thought the clocks were shaved by a few hundred MHz at first.

That said, this is incredible progress. To think that, just over four years ago, I played on my cousin's laptop with its Radeon HD 7670M and thought, "wow, can laptops get any better?" Of course there were already top-end laptops in 2012 but I was just getting in to tech at the time and didn't know.

Last edited:
Seems pretty counterintuitive to drop the "M" label, but I'm guessing Nvidia is so confident about how close it performs with the desktop version that they can drop the label altogether.

Eks
The laptop-grade 1070 has more CUDA cores than the desktop version? Seems a bit weird.

Most likely to compensate for a lower clock, and possibly an alternative to squeeze more performance while saving some power use. Though the gap between the desktop and laptop 1070 is presumed to be quite small, which is fantastic.

Most likely to compensate for a lower clock, and possibly an alternative to squeeze more performance while saving some power use. Though the gap between the desktop and laptop 1070 is presumed to be quite small, which is fantastic.

Does a bump in CUDA cores really compensate for a slower clock, even if slight, though? Genuinely curious.

Eks
Does a bump in CUDA cores really compensate for a slower clock, even if slight, though? Genuinely curious.

Depends. The desktop 1070 has less CUDA cores than the 980Ti (which the 1070 replaces), 2816 vs 1920, but performs better than the 980Ti. However, the 980Ti can keep up and even overtake the 1070 in some cases if you heavily overclock it. But of course this is desktop hardware, so it could mean differently with mobile hardware. I think this bit by PCPer will add something...

The GTX 1070 is different though. The mobile version of the GTX 1070 actually has more CUDA cores than the desktop card, 2048 rather than 1920, leaving on more SM enabled on the die. Meanwhile, the base clock of 1.4 GHz is about 100 MHz lower than that of the desktop product. The goal was to create a different part that has (nearly) identical performance to the desktop GTX 1070 Founders Edition product, but would be able to run at a TDP in the 115 watt range rather than 165 watts. It’s an interesting move, and one that will likely create controversy around the brand of the GTX 1070.

They also performed a pretty hasty test between the 1070s
games.png

The gap is in fact quite small, which is pretty mind-boggling. You can read more about the source here if you want http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...GTX-1080-1070-and-1060-Enter-Gaming-Notebooks

edit: And as someone who has a desktop 1070, this is really something. Though I find it pretty odd of Nvidia to open more CUDA cores for the 1070, but not do the same for the desktop variant. Another questionable move, Nvidia...

It's not terribly different from the silliness they did back in the 6xxx and 7xxx days, though.
What silliness are you talking about?

MSI has some notebooks with the new chipsets available right now, haven't seen from other manufacturers yet over here. Pricey though. Let's see what other manufacturers come up with.

Back