NVidia GTX 285 to GT 630 to GTX 650

• Thread starter Ledbetter
  • 17 comments
United States
California
My-Kull
The sysinfo screen says I am running DirectX 11, but the game tells me that a DirectX 10.1 graphics card is required, and refuses to run. Has anyone used this card successfully, or do I have an excuse to upgrade?

Many thanks.

You need a DX 10.1 GPU 285 is DX10 and AC is really DX11

To use a DX10 GPU you can open the graphics.ini located in the cfg folder of the Assetto Corsa directory and change the allow unsupported dx10 from =0 to =1. You will see graphic issues though.

Just to note that DX11 appeared on AMD 5000 series like 5870 5850 in 2009 and on Nvidia 400 series in 2010 like GTX 460 480 so you don't a brand new GPU.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Chromatic9. Very helpful. However, I don't understand "don't need a brand new GPU" if I need a new graphics card. Do you recommend the GTX 580 you're using over the 400 series?

I just wanted to point out how you can get a cheap used card from far back as 2009 for AMD and 2010 for nvidia if you want to just get going.

580 is a bit better than the 480, depends what is on ebay or other classified ads you take and what your budget is, what settings you want. GTX 670 or 680 use less power and have more performance than the 480/580 but will cost a bit more as they're newer. 660ti 2GB is a nice one on a budget, that's 580 performance with a bit more vram too.

If you want a 700 series then go ahead but the next few months sees the 800 series come out so we'll get more price drops.

As a minimum I'd reckon a 560ti onwards but there's so many DX11 cards that do a decent job.

I understand now what you meant. Many, many thanks. I'll post my choice and the results here. Time for a new graphics card, but first I think I'll try modifying the CFG folder just to get going today.

Sorry for not getting it, but in "Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg" there is no "graphics.ini" file. There is a "video" file which contains the line "DISABLE_LEGACY_HDR=1." I changed the "1" to "0" and tried, but the game would not run.

The hack didn't work for me, game still wouldn't run. I'm stuck with PCI Express 2.0 so I'm going with a GT 630 for $64 from NewEgg. Thanks to all.

Thanks, Wiz. My current computer is an iBuyPower Vista 2.67G i7 from 2009, so I'm about due to upgrade the whole thing. Plus, I wanted 2 DVI outputs. Just tryin' to squeeze out a few more months of service. Now I have to decide whether to get a new computer first, or a PS4.

Well, the GT 630 arrived and was not very good, though AC did run. Fortunately, EVGA has a "step up" program that gives credit for full purchase price toward a better card, so I sent in the GT 630 and am now waiting for the GTX 650 recommended by Wiz. Thanks again, Wiz.

Well the 650 is better. Not sure why you'd go for a GT 630.

A GTX 560ti is still quite a bit better than a GTX 650. A GTX 650ti is quite close to a 560ti. You can get a 560ti for $60-80 used and is what I recommended as a starting point for a modern game. 650 should do a decent enough job if you have to buy new though. It's roughly 60% of what a 560ti can do.

Based on the title of this thread, I would recommend NOT going with anything that's lower-powered than your current GTX 285 -- the GT 630 and GTX 650 are both MUCH weaker/slower cards than a GTX 285. If you need DX11 compatibility that you can't get with the older GTX 285, but you want to maintain your current performance level in general, you'll want to find a card that's at or above the "tier" where the GTX 285 appears on this chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

A GTX 650 Ti wouldn't be much of a downgrade from your GTX 285, but a "plain vanilla" GT 650 or a GT 630 WOULD be a downgrade:

http://www.hwcompare.com/13542/geforce-gtx-285-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-650/

Well, also good thing know. But, as I say, this is a computer from 2009 that will be due for replacement in the next year. Anyone want to buy a nice used GTX 285 or 650?

Back