Objects in the mirror (rear view) are farther than they appear...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben78
  • 18 comments
  • 2,116 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
443
Canada
(Outaouais) Québec.
Messages
XxBen78xX
Hi guys (and gals),

First post here (although I read the forum a lot), anyways, is it me or the cars in the rear view mirrors look like they are far behind you and when you press L1, they're right there, chippin' paint from your bumper ? Aren't objects in the mirror suppose to be closer than they appear ?

And while we're at it, what's up with the headlights looking like dimmed flashlights ? I hope they'll make the headlights actually useful with an update (although it's rarely dark), I've hit way too many black Lambos on the SSR7 for my own good... and even with those rally cars with 6 headlights in front of them, it's almost useless.
 
Eh, I don't know, I never really noticed if the mirror actually shows the cars closer or further than they actually are. Maybe it's just an illusion to you since the mirror is small and the cars seem smaller.

I do agree with the head lights though! They truly do seem like dim flash lights! Even on high beam, they're pretty low lit! Fortunately most of the races are nicely lit so I never had that much of a problem, but when I went to photomode and wanted to have the lights on, they looked like they were off!
 
Hi guys (and gals),

First post here (although I read the forum a lot), anyways, is it me or the cars in the rear view mirrors look like they are far behind you and when you press L1, they're right there, chippin' paint from your bumper ? Aren't objects in the mirror suppose to be closer than they appear ?

And while we're at it, what's up with the headlights looking like dimmed flashlights ? I hope they'll make the headlights actually useful with an update (although it's rarely dark), I've hit way too many black Lambos on the SSR7 for my own good... and even with those rally cars with 6 headlights in front of them, it's almost useless.

They look far behind in the mirror, but are actually closer than they appear (in the mirror) when you actually look behind, which is exactly what you are explaining here.

Am I missing something? :confused:
 
They look far behind in the mirror, but are actually closer than they appear (in the mirror) when you actually look behind, which is exactly what you are explaining here.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Maybe because the mirror view is from the vantage point of the mirror on the windshield, while the rear view is from the rear bumper and much bigger? Cockpit view kinda ruins this theory...
 
Not sure, it seems on Nurb that that headlights at night don't show up at all in the rear mirror until they leaving a paint smear on your bumper...
It's actually quite Anti-Racing to not be aware of the guy chasing you... :(
 
They look far behind in the mirror, but are actually closer than they appear (in the mirror) when you actually look behind, which is exactly what you are explaining here.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Just what I was thinking: OP, what you are describing is 'closer than they appear'
 
This is like reverse psychology, and I'm starting to doubt myself :odd:
 
On the subject of rear mirrors, has any else noticed that the Nordschleife has a low detail rear view mirror reflection, but a track like grand valley for example has a high detail reflection?
 
Objects in mirror are losing.

Nuff said.
 
Changing the PS3 RBG settings from full to limited seems to make the headlights more effective, made a big difference for me
 
Particle effects are reduced in the Rear View mirror to increase performance.

It's an optimisation made to GT5 to make it run smoother and sadly, it affects headlights.
 
They seem to be further away, but they are not. It's like in photomode. If you stand next to a car without zooming out, it would look near. If you zoom out as far as you can, the car will appear further. Field of view, isn't it?
 
Erm yeah, OP is getting mixed up here. It's entirely correct, objects in the mirror are closer than they appear (in the mirror).
 
is it me or the cars in the rear view mirrors look like they are far behind you and when you press L1, they're right there, chippin' paint from your bumper ? Aren't objects in the mirror suppose to be closer than they appear ?
facepalm.gif

An object you see in the mirror may appear far away, but it's actually closer.
 
the one thing that really bothers me/makes me sad about this game is that you CAN'T** see smoke in your mirrors after massive power slides =[
 
Last edited:
You mean you can't right??
 
That's exactly what you are mentioning, doh:odd:
 
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165895

Does this need two threads? :D

And yes, "in the mirror" they seem (appear) far away, yet when you look behind you, they actually are closer

Objects (the cars) in mirror (you see when you look at the mirror) are closer (are not as far away) than they (as the cars) appear (seem to be when looking at them in the mirror)

-> the cars you see when you look at the mirror are not as far away as the cars seem to be when looking at them in the mirror

I dunno, how do you explain something so blatantly obvious :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back