Obscure and forgotten gems

• Thread starter DeadEnd
  • 22 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
Gran Turismo player since GT4 and only today discovered the Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (S54B) '67. It is by no means the fastest car out there, but it handles great for the cars from that era and I absolutely love the styling.

What are some of your favorites that never get mentioned?

Gran Turismo player since GT4 and only today discovered the Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (S54B) '67. It is by no means the fastest car out there, but it handles great for the cars from that era and I absolutely love the styling.

Renault 8 Gordini 1966 - fabulous to drive (RR), especially if you give it more power. Lotus Elan 1968 and Triumph Spitfire 1975 - lovely sports cars which should be premiumized.

Mercury Cougar XR7 1967 (Trans Am Championship runner up) and Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO 1964 (one of the first muscle cars) - with this one the tune by Clueless Over the Hill Outlaws gives outstanding handling.

Buick Special - surprisingly competitive in races if you reduce the power and very entertaining if you max out the power - try it at Deep Forest with max power on Race Hard and try to control the wheelspin!

Gillet Vertigo - probably the FR car with the highest power to weight ratio in the game - fit the high pressure turbo and set the gearing for 224mph then take it to Trial Mountain or Circuit de La Sierra on Race Hard tyres - wheelspin in the first four gears up to 130mph and wheel stands over crests - use bonnet view for maximum effect!

The Honda Today G '85 surprised the heck out of me. Only 385pp maxed out, but it handles sooo well. Its really a dream, it just needs an extra 30 hp. It has a pitiful top end...:(

I bought this very car yesterday and tuned it to 425pp, and yes I stuck racing softs on it.

It was faster than my friend's equally tuned 280z.

Alfa Romeo 147 GTA.
For me, the best FF car in GT6. Lovely looks, great drivetrain, a legendary Aresé V6 engine with loads power and torque. Sadly, the 147 GTA is still a standard car.

The Honda Today G '85 surprised the heck out of me. Only 385pp maxed out, but it handles sooo well. Its really a dream, it just needs an extra 30 hp. It has a pitiful top end...:(
I think the reason it handles so well is because there's nowhere near enough power to oversteer, and nowhere near enough speed to understeer :lol:

I bought this very car yesterday and tuned it to 425pp, and yes I stuck racing softs on it.

It was faster than my friend's equally tuned 280z.

Just curious, are racing slicks street legal in the US?

I don't want to tell you what tires to use but putting slicks on a low powered, somewhat "budget" street car is pretty ironic.

Try SH or even CS, they'll introduce you to oversteer and bring your car to life instead of being glued to the road.

RS tires are basically *point car in this direction and floor it* :lol:

The only instance I would personally use them is on high-powered race cars (LMP etc.) or a drag car...

Just curious, are racing slicks street legal in the US?

Of course not, poetic license.

I don't want to tell you what tires to use but putting slicks on a low powered, somewhat "budget" street car is pretty ironic.

Yeah, the tires usually cost more than the car.

Try SH or even CS, they'll introduce you to oversteer and bring your car to life instead of being glued to the road.
You are wrong about this. You still have to balance the car with racing soft tire. You are tearing through the corners at very high speeds. IF your car is not set up right, your rear end can snap loose and send you flying.

Why does this happen every time someone mentions tyres?
If he wants to run soft slicks on his car, let him, what difference does it make to anyone else?

I'm not a fan of RS and won't tune for them because I don't personally enjoy them and that's ok, if someone wants to stick a set on and enjoy the car in there own way then that's fine as well. You can't go telling someone else how to have fun, not everyone likes the same thing and there is no correct answer.

If he wants to run soft slicks on his car, let him, what difference does it make to anyone else?

I'm not a fan of RS and won't tune for them because I don't personally enjoy them and that's ok, if someone wants to stick a set on and enjoy the car in there own way then that's fine as well. You can't go telling someone else how to have fun, not everyone likes the same thing and there is no correct answer.
Wait? You mean that you play this game differently than me? Well, you must be doing it wrong then!! :banghead: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: </sarcasm>

Great post DolHaus - spot on!

I'm with Ryan - the Honda is fantastic - I hope it gets made into a premium.

Another great car is the Alfa Romeo 1600 1965 - can't remember the full name.

Another great car is the Alfa Romeo 1600 1965 - can't remember the full name.

The Spider Duetto? That's a lovely car to drive around in!

I've always liked the Corvette Z06. Yes there are other Corvettes out there which are arguably better but perhaps it's a sentimental thing...

Returning back to GT4, I always thought the Suzuki Escudo Dirt Trial Car was just bonkers. Max it out, slap on some RSS tyres and lap the Nurburgring in under six minutes. That was my pre-teen years summed up in a couple of sentences.

Alfa Romeo 147 GTA.
For me, the best FF car in GT6. Lovely looks, great drivetrain, a legendary Aresé V6 engine with loads power and torque. Sadly, the 147 GTA is still a standard car.

You should try the 166... i tuned it for CS tyres, longer gearing for nurb, a "slide around corners behavior" i inducted with the setup made it one of the most exciting rides i had on nurb in a FF car.... Take a look. The videodoesn't actually make justice to how lively and exciting the run was :D

No turbo, 275hps, 1400kgs, confort softs; ABS 1. Lap time around 8:35 seconds i have no clue if it is fast slow or anything i found this setup so fun i didn't try to improve it at all :D

Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 GTA 1965.

;)

No forgotten gem for me. My Giallo Fly one is current XMB screen, love it. Needs to be premium, so can have rally headlights, bumpers off, race number at least.
Nothing can be RM'ed anymore, so go on PD, make anew a premium race version, along with other classic rallye (Mille Miglia, Targa Florio) type racers, newly introduced or upgraded standard, to go with a new or improved Long Sierra type track for GT7. Heck, it could be a good starting point for a simple livery editor.
You can see, even after Kaz's GT7 hype comment, I'm not that optimistic of boundaries being broken.

Sorry for going off topic, the darksides permeating through the site a little at the moment, and its infected me.

You should try the 166... i tuned it for CS tyres, longer gearing for nurb, a "slide around corners behavior" i inducted with the setup made it one of the most exciting rides i had on nurb in a FF car.... Take a look. The videodoesn't actually make justice to how lively and exciting the run was :D

No turbo, 275hps, 1400kgs, confort softs; ABS 1. Lap time around 8:35 seconds i have no clue if it is fast slow or anything i found this setup so fun i didn't try to improve it at all :D

I really love the 166 myself, and I'm planning on buying one as my first car! But the thing is that standard, the 166 is a bit understeery, and the 4-Speed doesn't work all that well with the car.

I have a tune on it with a replicated 5-Speed auto (was only offered in the 2.4 JTD.) and it has a 3.0 V6 tune with sone drivetrain tuning. And it handles like a dream! Saldy, the detailing of the car is so badly implemented in GT6 that it saddens me.

But a great lap, and it looked really fun to drive it around the Nurburgring! 👍

Just wish that one day, we will have a premium 166 in a GT-Title!

Back