Obsession, from a different perspective.

• Thread starter robo82
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've been scouring the forums for the last couple of months and really enjoy reading the debate and banter about this excellent series of racing games. I'm in my thirties and played GT1 and GT2 when they came out, then put video games to one side whilst I got my act together! I brought my brothers old PS3 off him which had GT5, but rarely played the console as it was mainly for my son for him to play Minecraft on.

Then came the obsession........

We brought a new car in the summer of 2017 and my son (then 7) became obsessed with the whole car industry. It didn't matter which car it was, he wanted to know about it, a fun day out went from being the day in London to a day visiting car showrooms! His bedroom floor gradually became scattered with car brochures and his love for cars grew and grew.

This obsession coincided with the release of GT Sport which I heavily researched before buying the limited edition metal case box version for him as an early birthday present. He was desperate for this game, more so than anything else game-wise before.

The game arrived 2 days after release and hasn't left the PS4 since! His obsession with it and the car industry has infected myself as well, I play it whenever I can (I have a wife, which I would like to keep) and am looking into purchasing something fast later this year, possibly for a trip to the Nurburgring! The game has really brought us closer together as father and son, which sounds ridiculous, but cars are now our one common interest. We talk about cars, look at autotrader together, play GT Sport together and watch F1 races together.

My thoughts on this game are that it is a work of art, not just visually, but in it's entirety. I appreciate the fact I didn't play GT3,4,5 or 6 so have only the first 2 to compare it to. The whole online thing is just fantastic, I love the fact that PD are trying to turn racing sims into real racing, with sportsmanship taken into account. Of course the frustration is there when you lose DR or get penalised for someone elses error, but overall this game is about learning how to drive cars quickly, properly and safely and how to make racing fun!

The scapes mode is stunning, my son loves this mode. He will spend hours placing cars in various locations and then sending me dozens of images to my work email for me to print off, laminate and pin up in his bedroom! He has now developed a love of photography off the back off this mode and we've spent hours taking photos of various scenes ourselves which he want to superimpose our car onto to!

I've never felt this way about a game before, I would never have bothered to even read a forum about a game, let alone spend 30 minutes typing a post whilst I should be teaching my maths class!

Hats off to PD, this community and all those who play this game.

Cars have been bringing fathers and sons together since their invention I'm guessing, I basically forced my father to start teaching me how to drive when I was 10 cause I kept messing around with it whenever it was parked in the garage. He taught me the names and functions of parts under the hood, how to change motor oil, change a flat tyre, replace air filter etc.

What a wonderful story. It sounds like he will grow up to be a racing driver. :)

If you compare the racing games that we played back in the days with current racing games, there's such a big difference in terms of authenticity and complexity. I can't even begin to imagine how a young boy today will make use of this in order to further his interest in driving. There's so much potential for these young video game racers. And as you write there's a great community surrounding these games that also enhances the experience.

@robo82 I share your feelings about GTS. I enjoy the game a great deal, and it has opened an avenue for me to enjoy performance driving which would not be accessible to me in any other way.

Interestingly, my daughters (in their 20's) also enjoy the game, but they enjoy more seeing the joy I get from it. The PS4 and GTS was a birthday gift from my older daughter and her fiancé. I think that tells most of the story. :bowdown:

And I do keep my daily workout quite regularly, on some days I 'go for a drive' putting 200 or 300km in the odometer.

I have not yet joined any of the 'Clubs'; but that is something I look forward to, as there are numerous groups with drivers from all parts of the world, who meet to race together. :cheers:

The best part for me is the tuning of my cars; I thoroughly enjoy tweaking the cars to arrive at something I love driving, and win some races with it.

So, Yeah.. GT Sport is great fun, and this here :gtpflag: is a wonderful community of Aficionados!! Cheers!!

Well, when GT series have 20 years of age, no wonder starts crossing generations, I guess.

My toddler is only 3 months young, born one week before GT Sport came to the shops, to soon, but my 9 years old niece is ecstatic to try my new G29 set :D

This is one of the best threads I've read on this forum.

I too grew with a shared passion for everything car related with my father. Gran Turismo was not part of it but car magazines, auto shows, showrooms and F1.

This is the type of original content I look forward when I come to gtplanet.

Great post to read. Im also in my 30s, grew up with a PS1 and the original Gran Turismo, learnt a whole lot about cars from it and the passion has carried over into my everyday life. Its strange that you mention family days out, as only this morning i booked tickets for myself, the lad and the wife to have a day up at Autosport International show next weekend. A great day out if you enjoy cars, but i only mention it because i noticed when browsing the website that they have a whole area dedicated to getting youngsters involved in motorsport and the auto industry at a young age. I know yours is on the young side right now, but maybe it would give him some inspiration for later life.

Hi All

I've been scouring the forums for the last couple of months and really enjoy reading the debate and banter about this excellent series of racing games. I'm in my thirties and played GT1 and GT2 when they came out, then put video games to one side whilst I got my act together! I brought my brothers old PS3 off him which had GT5, but rarely played the console as it was mainly for my son for him to play Minecraft on.

Then came the obsession........

We brought a new car in the summer of 2017 and my son (then 7) became obsessed with the whole car industry. It didn't matter which car it was, he wanted to know about it, a fun day out went from being the day in London to a day visiting car showrooms! His bedroom floor gradually became scattered with car brochures and his love for cars grew and grew.

This obsession coincided with the release of GT Sport which I heavily researched before buying the limited edition metal case box version for him as an early birthday present. He was desperate for this game, more so than anything else game-wise before.

The game arrived 2 days after release and hasn't left the PS4 since! His obsession with it and the car industry has infected myself as well, I play it whenever I can (I have a wife, which I would like to keep) and am looking into purchasing something fast later this year, possibly for a trip to the Nurburgring! The game has really brought us closer together as father and son, which sounds ridiculous, but cars are now our one common interest. We talk about cars, look at autotrader together, play GT Sport together and watch F1 races together.

My thoughts on this game are that it is a work of art, not just visually, but in it's entirety. I appreciate the fact I didn't play GT3,4,5 or 6 so have only the first 2 to compare it to. The whole online thing is just fantastic, I love the fact that PD are trying to turn racing sims into real racing, with sportsmanship taken into account. Of course the frustration is there when you lose DR or get penalised for someone elses error, but overall this game is about learning how to drive cars quickly, properly and safely and how to make racing fun!

The scapes mode is stunning, my son loves this mode. He will spend hours placing cars in various locations and then sending me dozens of images to my work email for me to print off, laminate and pin up in his bedroom! He has now developed a love of photography off the back off this mode and we've spent hours taking photos of various scenes ourselves which he want to superimpose our car onto to!

I've never felt this way about a game before, I would never have bothered to even read a forum about a game, let alone spend 30 minutes typing a post whilst I should be teaching my maths class!

Hats off to PD, this community and all those who play this game.

I was exactly the same as your lad when I was younger except my Dad wasn't as cool as you

great post, and now thread.
No video games in-home when I was young, but, my Dad is a gear head... drag raced before I was born, then, slowly (11 years) built a '32 Ford street rod (Corvette drivetrain) in the corner of his wood working shop (self employed contractor)... I spent countless Saturday mornings "helping".
When I got out of college I started saving, and purchased a 5.0 Mustang, and went drag racing. My Dad went to every event... and even ran the car from time to time for giggles.

Great post. Especially liked the comments on the Scapes mode which I have hardly touched. If I’d had something like that as a kid would no doubt have loved it.

Back