Odd but good thing that happened in EA's F12001 for PS2

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 11 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
I picked this game up cheap 2nd hand late last week, predominantly because it's Logitech compatible.

It suffers the usual vague disconnected controls feeling of most EA motor racing games , but someone who does the AI work there deserves a major pat on the back, as I saw something in the game I'd never seen before.

I had just started a flying lap in qualifying, and got a warning that Frentzen in a Prost had just left the pits in front of me.

I came across Frentzen in about the third corner, and his car actually slowed early and moved off the racing line to let me past!

I've seen lapped cars move over in TOCA2, but NEVER in a racing video game have I seen a car move over in qualifying - I nearly fell off the road in shock!

Well, they have this guy talking to you as you drive, like your team manager or someone, telling what's going on in the field (like a blow up or a spin ahead), what the guy behind's doing - it's a little annoying, but the information is quite handy, as demonstrated above.

I seem to hear a lot of 'your tyres will have picked up a lot of rubbish in that little excursion so be careful'!

Originally posted by vat_man
Well, they have this guy talking to you as you drive, like your team manager or someone, telling what's going on in the field (like a blow up or a spin ahead), what the guy behind's doing - it's a little annoying, but the information is quite handy, as demonstrated above.

I seem to hear a lot of 'your tyres will have picked up a lot of rubbish in that little excursion so be careful'!

Ha ha! I'd be getting a lot of, "Ohhh, that'll cost ya!" or, "You planning on putting that tire wall back together?"

~LoudMusic

I seem to remember a recent F1 game (might have been the 989 Studios one) where after a big crash you'd hear 'oh, that was a big one - are you okay' in the speakers.

I remember sailing over the back of the pack at the Monza chicane, and finishing upside down against a wall, having canoed the car (i.e. ripped all four wheels and both wings off) and thinking 'no, I'm probably not - but thanks for asking...'

Originally posted by vat_man
I seem to remember a recent F1 game (might have been the 989 Studios one) where after a big crash you'd hear 'oh, that was a big one - are you okay' in the speakers.

I remember sailing over the back of the pack at the Monza chicane, and finishing upside down against a wall, having canoed the car (i.e. ripped all four wheels and both wings off) and thinking 'no, I'm probably not - but thanks for asking...'

:lol:

Loudspeaker guy is your pal, vat_man - he cares about you. :D

Hey vat have you won any races on that thing, I always get pole, I get blown by on the start and usaully crash out of the race. on the first lap. (i race with full on damage) Im on my sixth race and no points yet. Maybe I should take damage off.

Originally posted by f1king
Hey vat have you won any races on that thing, I always get pole, I get blown by on the start and usaully crash out of the race. on the first lap. (i race with full on damage) Im on my sixth race and no points yet. Maybe I should take damage off.

Or alternatively not hit other cars! :D I'd certainly recommend taking damage off initially.

I've started very easily on that while I try to get to grips with the driving model. Simulation mode is pretty scary!

I qualified eighth for my first race in normal mode, not realising I could brake inside the 50 metre marker for tight corners until my last set of laps.

I got a rocket start and made up about three places at the start, and Ralf Schumacher was kind enough to take three other cars off with him at the second corner, so suddenly halfway through the first lap I was by myself with about a ten second lead.

I pretty much cruised it after that.

Now I have better idea of the capabilities of the car under braking I should be a lot quicker in qualifying.

Back