Odometer/Mileage reset - Do you think it will ever happen?

• Thread starter HarVee
  • 26 comments
United States
somewhere near Trial Mountain
oldbusanubis
One thing that has irked me the wrong way with GT7 since launch day is not being able to see your own mileage that you've added to any car not bought in Brand Central. I think it honestly detracts from the feeling of ownership when you, say, buy a car with 60,000 miles on it already. Some people may feel this is a trivial thing to worry about, others might see it as unrealistic buying an older car with 0 mileage, and others might be like me and prefer to acquire a car (in a video game that is) with 0 mileage as it makes it feel more like an accomplishment when you see the mileage hit milestones like 1000 miles or some such.

Where do you stand on this, what are your thoughts? Do you think we'll ever see a reset odometer function added to the game? And lastly, if it was added, how much do you think it might cost with game credits?

Personally I think it would be kind of like engine swaps feature that was added in a patch. You go to GT Auto Maintenace service and buy an odometer reset for probably 100k+ depending on the vehicle value.

Last edited:
If we could spend credits to do it in GT Auto, I definitely would. A given.

We’ve already gone through this discussion sporadically in the past but concering this, I’m 100% with you, @HarVee. And absolutely nothing wrong with bringing it up again. I think it’s deserved.

A defense I’ve seen is that some claim that older cars surely cannot have 0 kms on their odometer because “muh realism”. Yet they conveniently forget or ignore that through the career we received several older cars as gifts and as gifts they always have 0 kms. What happened to the realism there?

UCD/LCD is a bad idea. Put everything in BC at 0.
It finally happened, someone made a thread about this. :lol:

Last edited:
It finally happened, someone made a thread about this. :lol:
Nothing wrong with it as I see it. If people don't bring to attention this possibility, then it'll never get implemented. Sadly, I feel more people care less about mileage than I do as I don't see many discussions about it. There are some, like the thread @NAXEHT had linked to though. Reading that very thread actually inspired me to make this thread and bring this back into the limelight, because an odometer reset function is something I've been wanting since day 1.

The alternative options would either be add pre-2001 cars to brand Central for purchase and/or add a statistic option to see only the mileage you've driven in a car. i support those as well, though the ideal would probably be a combination of all three methods, but one step at a time as they say.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s any reason do add an odometer reset. It would be enough to add the player mileage stats to the car info screen.
I'd be fine with this as well, perhaps it could be added alongside the odometer reset? I'd ultimately prefer to have the option to reset mileage more than a mere statistic showing only your mileage, mainly because an odometer reset offers more engagement with the car you're driving and adds more to that sense of ownership and collecting. It also gives you another thing to spend credits on.

Edit: Both options would give players more choices over how they manage their garage I think. Because those that want the extra mileage the UCD/LCD add can have that while also having an option to see only their mileage add. An odometer reset would let players, like me, just wipe the entire mileage. Both should exist and shouldn't cancel each other out. The third option, like said in a prior post of mine, would be add pre-2001 cars to Brand Central. This could also exist along those other two options or could effectively replace those options as PD may deem the other two options unneeded if pre-2001 cars were added to BC.

Options make the game more enjoyable for everyone. ;)

Last edited:
Odometer rollback is an illegal fraud in real life, by the way...
Sure perhaps in some locales it is, but GT is a video game not specifically tied down to the regulations and legality of reality. If PD are holding back on giving players this option in the name of 'realism' then that is poor rationale on their part seeing as many other aspects of the GT7 game are unrealistic as it is.

If PD are that obtuse about legality, then simply add all the pre-2001 cars to Brand Central for purchase and not worry about stirring up legal strife. Regardless of how they would hypothetically approach this mileage issue, one thing is for certain - all cars in the game should be attainable with 0 mileage.

Last edited:
Sure perhaps in some locales it is.....
....in the U.S. that goes for anywhere. I'll wager it's the same in most countries.

Player mileage stats would be nice as mentioned simply to track how much you have driven one.

....in the U.S. that goes for anywhere. I'll wager it's the same in most countries.

Player mileage stats would be nice as mentioned simply to track how much you have driven one.
It being fraud in reality is a bit irrelevant when it comes to a work of fiction such as, well, this video game - GT7. I don't quite grasp why some would suggest an odometer reset function can't exist in a video game simply because it's illegal in reality. There is no such thing as vehicle insurance in GT7, nor is there an online marketplace for selling cars to other players, so one cannot commit fraud in the context of GT7.

I agree though with the last bit, a function to see your personal mileage on a car would be very well a nice addition indeed.

Last edited:
Let me use the trip meters on cars that have them so I can track how many miles I’ve personally put on a used car and also my mileage between oil changes since the reminder on the dashboards doesn’t work to let you know it’s time to change your oil. I don’t want to wait to see it on the menu screen when viewing the car. On the older cars that don’t have this let me keep a sticky note in the glovebox or center console area to track this. This would be the bomb diggity for VR2 users. 🔥
Come on PD, get it together. This game has the potential to be so great but they just choose not to let us do the simplest of things.

can you actually believe that a car bought from a "used car dealer" has ZERO mileage?
Cherry picking. If you would read my prior posts, or even the OP, you'd know that I'm not advocating for cars in the UCD to have 0 mileage, but rather a way to have them in a 0 mileage state, even if to achieve such state one needs to reset the odometer after purchase.

Last edited:
It being fraud in reality is a bit irrelevant when it comes to a work of fiction such as, well, this video game - GT7. I don't quite grasp why some would suggest an odometer reset function can't exist in a video game simply because it's illegal in reality. There is no such thing as vehicle insurance in GT7, nor is there an online marketplace for selling cars to other players, so one cannot commit fraud in the context of GT7.

I agree though with the last bit, a function to see your personal mileage on a car would be very well a nice addition indeed.
I guess my gripe is what's the point in even having mileage on used cars then if it can be reset to zero. I get there is difference between reality and a game but I also get that this is one of those "reality"-like elements that come in a game like this.

Again, I think the suggestion of a player mileage stat is a much better option but not a reset as it lends to defeating the purpose of the whole used car idea, the gradual aging of the car, etc.

I would welcome it at lot, if I could see somewhere how much mileage I have done to the car, but I don't care so much about what the odometer is saying...

Just have a " Total miles driven" vs Actual milage.
Resetting the odometer is a stupid idea , even in GT1 it didn't work like that. Also , The UCD should have low milage unicorns and high milage vehicles. I don't mind paying 200k for a Rx7 with 12k miles . But a 250k mile one with a bad engine condition should be 30k. That would add alot of depth to this game.

Granturismo 7 has all the tools to be the best granturismo ever made but has alot of dunce moments.
The UCD having only 10/10 concourse cars is stupid considering we have a engine / chassis condition management system . Why even implement that if every singe used car is pretty much " new" .
Car washes don't even work , they do absolutely nothing to the car's finish. They DID in every other game .

They built an entire system to have used cars work like used cars only to throw it away.

I honestly don't understand why the used cars have mileage in the first place - it's meaningless.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand why the used cars have mileage in the first place - it's meaningless.
You know, I could take this one step further and say that used cars in general are meaningless in a video game. Something that of course would be met with mixed reactions, but I can honestly say that I never liked the UCD/LCD. I really liked the GT3/GT6/GTS method where everything is available at any time provided you have the credits. made it so much easier to build a garage. No waiting period to buy a car, no artificial scarcity, no bloated mileage. Just cleanliness and user convenience. PD were clearly not thinking about the latter with GT7.

Last edited:
You know, I could take this one step further and say that used cars in general are meaningless in a video game. Something that of course would be met with mixed reactions, but I can honestly say that I never liked the UCD/LCD. I really liked the GT3/GT6/GTS method where everything is available at any time provided you have the credits. made it so much easier to build a garage. No waiting period to buy a car, no artificial scarcity, no bloated mileage. Just cleanliness and user convenience. PD were clearly not thinking about the latter with GT7.
I do much prefer being able to purchase every car from Brand Central like in GTS. Simple. No fuss no FOMO. You get to dictate the pace of your own progression.

If a certain car needs to be "special", it should be because of what it can do in the game, not how many IRL months you need to wait to buy it.

GT5 had tickets that you could use to reset mileage. Question: its possible to win pre-2001 car via roulette tickets? Gift cars always come with 0 mileage, so it would be nice if we had a way to buy UCD cars with those tickets.

Since we're talking about numbers, it would be nice if we could see how many races / victories we have with each car, something that was present in previous GTs.

Fair point. The legendary dealership especially is really stupid, even by GT standards. A legendary cars section should be added to the brand central manufacturers that have them like GT4. Even the brands without "new" cars should be put into brand central, just like the good old days. Heck, have a legendary section for Hyundai so we can get the original Pony.

Cherry picking. If you would read my prior posts, or even the OP, you'd know that I'm not advocating for cars in the UCD to have 0 mileage, but rather a way to have them in a 0 mileage state, even if to achieve such state one needs to reset the odometer after purchase.
No, not cherry picking, but the idea of getting any and all cars in a 0 mileage status is not real, although the idea of having a re-settable trip odometer is a better idea.

Getting a Delorean brand new from a dealership with zero mileage in 2023 isn't realistic either :lol: I don't know why people hate the idea of being able to purchase cars fresh, in the colour that you want, anytime you want. GT6/Sport had the best system of everything in ONE dealer. This UCD/LCD nonsense is just nostalgic rose tinted glasses that's fun for the first few days and then just gets annoying.

Oh and have you noticed none of the UCD/LCD cars' mileage actually affects their condition? All of them always have engine/chassis in "good" condition. Even a Civic at 99,999 km. If you buy a lower mileage car at higher cost you're basically getting duped.

There is actually a solution already in the game - buying a new engine or chassis in the Tuning Shop should reset everything back to zero. But it only reverts back the permanent engine/weight upgrades (something which should be detachable anyway - another useless layer of complication in a needlessly complicated game).

And don't get me started about engine/chassis wear as well. Just another way for PD to keep people spending credits in the game under the pretense of "caring for your car". If you say it's realistic, real cars wear down too, go look at the top time trial leaderboards. Top drivers regularly overrev their engine on downshifts for extra engine braking and nothing ever happens. They should DNF on the first corner but the game lets you do this. So why should we do engine rebuilds every 5000 km or so?

There are realistic things that add to gameplay in a meaningful way. Then there are PD's brand of realism that teeters between inconvenience and just plain silly.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back