Official Toyota GR Supra GT Cup Launches April 2019

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 475 comments
Found myself in the EMEA Top-Split for the last race on Nürburgring, with drivers like Lightning, Pirata, Tsu-Tsu and Snake in the room.
Had a good qualifying lap with 9.47 i think which put me into 8th position at the start.
I managed to gain 2 positions until an unlucky incident after 1,5 laps, where the car in front of me left the track and hit me on his way back. :ouch:
Without this maybe place 5 or 6 would have been possible for me in this super close field.
For the whole cup I´m really happy with my result 2nd place in Germany and 16th in EMEA even the field was much smaller than in the FIA ones. :)👍
I really liked the Supra Cup and wish more manufacturers start cups like this. It a good addition to the two FIA cups and I hope more of this will come in the future. :cheers:

By the way awesome strategy from Lightning who was 10th in qualifying after a penalty but performed a stunning no-stopper strategy and won the race. :bowdown:

Top split races from the last round are up:

I agree with the critiques on the previous page. An event like this is a good idea and I imagine manufacturers would like the idea of showcasing new cars like this, but the conditions for racing were appalling. Leaving the actual car aside (which was a horrible car to drive until a physics change, which had dreadful fuel economy and 8 (8?!) gears for no reason) the focus on tyre conservation and fuel saving nullified most real racing. Off the top of my head the races at Le Mans, Suzuka and Willow Springs were the only ones where a split strategy was really viable.

The rest of the time you had a no-stopper with massive short shifting being the faster strategy. This is fine in itself, but the car being as tail happy as it was meant that plebs like me (who outnumber the aliens) couldn't do a no-stopper in these circumstances. It wasn't going to be safe driving the car on tyres that bad, it wasn't going to be quick, and it wasn't going to be fun.

When you see a video like that one and see the best in the world stretching the car as far as it can go, that's great. It was still genuinely exciting to watch even though I knew the result. I'm sure Toyota are glad that their car and championship produced something as exciting as that, and I'm sure the live final in Tokyo will do the same. I get the feeling though that a vast majority of participants in this championship came away hating the car and being frustrated at the conditions they had to drive it in.

I get the feeling though that a vast majority of participants in this championship came away hating the car and being frustrated at the conditions they had to drive it in.
Hated the car at first until the physics update, now it's fine. Actually enjoy it now. But the conditions were terrible.

@bloodyboyblue didn't you say during the race that it should be on YouTube? :P

Hated the car at first until the physics update, now it's fine. Actually enjoy it now. But the conditions were terrible.

@bloodyboyblue didn't you say during the race that it should be on YouTube? :P

I said that it was going to be on YouTube, as the races always are when they fall on the same nights at the T16 races. Glad to finally make one of the broadcasted races, just wish it wasn’t on a track I’m garbage at or else I would’ve been racing with you in the bottom half of the top 10. I got one second of screen time right at the end!

Yea I saw you guys on the driver list and was a little giddy to be honest. Shame you guys weren't further up the field because they only showed R1600Turbo for a little bit when he stayed out and others got by. Nice try though.

It's nice that they let you use your own liveries though. For the next race you should put on some major GTPlanet sponsorship with "powered by" written above it or something like that :)

I only stayed out because I was told it could work. Regret that decision. Should have pit for tires and enough fuel to go full out to the finish.

I only stayed out because I was told it could work. Regret that decision. Should have pit for tires and enough fuel to go full out to the finish.
It's a huge gamble that most of us didn't want to take. Trying to do one more lap on very old tires (and with the leaders closing in) sounds like a death sentence. It'd be nuts if NZNZ or Sileighty did it and successfully pulled it off.

Who's this cutie? :embarrassed::lol:

Screenshot_20190911-214832_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190911-214906_YouTube.jpg

But the higher lobbies get more points, dont they?
I won my race with speed good enough for a top ten finish in that lobby and i only got 1395 points for my win.
I don't think i would've got any less points than that.

But the higher lobbies get more points, dont they?
I won my race with speed good enough for a top ten finish in that lobby and i only got 1395 points for my win.
I don't think i would've got any less points than that.
I was recording the race, so I'll upload the points chart when I am back home.
I do remember that 1st place got 2100 points. Since Deafsun, Lester, gator, and a couple other of the top people weren't in the final race, the points chart was a bit lower than usual.

That, and it gets really punishing if you finish in the bottom in the top split.

Here's a rough list of the points given that day (top split):
1st - 2101 pts
2nd - 2020
3rd - 1894
4th - 1768
5th - 1641
6th - 1515
7th - 1389 (comparing the points you got in your split, you would have finished here)
8th - 1262
9th - 1136
10th - 1010

7th would’ve been a tall order for someone who seems to have either won the 3rd split or a really weak 2nd split (they were usually 1700-1800 pts during the season)

Actually looking at those points i was pretty accurate i guess.
Judging my speed to the other competitors 8-6 is where I'd place myself in terms of speed and how i preformed during the season aswel as on the ring.

Hey guys! That was a fun race, it was cool seeing some familiar names from here on the entry list and when I learned it was ‘televised’ it was a real treat. The only reason I entered was because the Ring is always fun and it looked like a longer race, these short FIA races have been a bummer. I wanted something I could settle into and find a rhythm.

It was good fun, and I’m mostly thankful I didn’t die, I was 98% confident that would be my outcome when entering the race. I’m glad it wasn’t the case!

I agree with the critiques on the previous page. An event like this is a good idea and I imagine manufacturers would like the idea of showcasing new cars like this, but the conditions for racing were appalling. Leaving the actual car aside (which was a horrible car to drive until a physics change, which had dreadful fuel economy and 8 (8?!) gears for no reason) the focus on tyre conservation and fuel saving nullified most real racing. Off the top of my head the races at Le Mans, Suzuka and Willow Springs were the only ones where a split strategy was really viable.

The rest of the time you had a no-stopper with massive short shifting being the faster strategy. This is fine in itself, but the car being as tail happy as it was meant that plebs like me (who outnumber the aliens) couldn't do a no-stopper in these circumstances. It wasn't going to be safe driving the car on tyres that bad, it wasn't going to be quick, and it wasn't going to be fun.

When you see a video like that one and see the best in the world stretching the car as far as it can go, that's great. It was still genuinely exciting to watch even though I knew the result. I'm sure Toyota are glad that their car and championship produced something as exciting as that, and I'm sure the live final in Tokyo will do the same. I get the feeling though that a vast majority of participants in this championship came away hating the car and being frustrated at the conditions they had to drive it in.

Actually I think it's a very good promotion of how fuel efficient the Supra can be :lol: I don't know how accurate GT's fuel consumption are to the real life car, but having a very long 8th overdrive gear and a very flat torque curve means you can really short shift and maintain speed. In Oceania I believe the top split winner no-stopped every race except RBR and Willow.

And actually the fuel saving race means average speed is slower and made the Supra a lot easier to drive. On Fuel Map 3 or lower it's almost as docile as the GT86, which helped plebs like me to hang with the big boys (Slipstream on Weak also helps to keep the pack close). Also driving slower means you burn tyres less, so the tyre wear is nullified as well. I dunno, maybe my driving style just really suits this car :lol:

It's not traditional racing I agree, but I like the quirky races more in FIA (e.g. Gr.B or N cars on comfort tyres) because the top drivers wouldn't have faced these conditions often, so it allows lesser drivers who come prepared to spring a surprise or two.

Just looking over Toyota's GR Supra racing programs.
4) e-Motorsports
- In 2019, e-Motorsports was adopted as part of a culture program at the National Sports Festival.

- In 2020, TGR intends to continue to engage in e-Motorsports, a category of new motorsports. We will also continue to be the official partner for the FIA GT Championship, and again host the GR Supra GT Cup, a one-make race for the GR Supra. Further details will be announced in due course.

Makes me wonder if they'll use the updated 2020 Supra with more power or switch to the GT4 car.

No doubt the first season was all about the road car. Toyota also asked for feedback. Looks like the power upgrade was probably planned ahead of any customer-gamer feedback. However, being the GT4 is a proper race car, that would be the(my ;) ) better choice for the Supra One Make.

Just looking over Toyota's GR Supra racing programs.

Makes me wonder if they'll use the updated 2020 Supra with more power or switch to the GT4 car.

No doubt the first season was all about the road car. Toyota also asked for feedback. Looks like the power upgrade was probably planned ahead of any customer-gamer feedback. However, being the GT4 is a proper race car, that would be the(my ;) ) better choice for the Supra One Make.
If it's a thing again, I'll be all over that jam. :D Whether it's the N300 or Gr. 4 one-make league, I'd love to see how the longer race format will (hopefully) make the most out of the car's potential.

Welcome to the "GR Supra GT Cup" 2020 Series: A One-Make Championship to Find the World's Best Supra Driver:
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing, the Official Partner of the 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships', has revealed the overview for their 'GR Supra GT Cup' 2020 Series, a global One-Make championship within 'Gran Turismo Sport'. This competition started last year as one of Toyota's e-Motorsport activities.

The Toyota GR Supra RZ used in last year's championship has been purchased by 800,000 players since its inclusion in Gran Turismo Sport in March 2019 and approximately 30,000 players have competed in the event. As a result, 120,000 users including top drivers, provided feedback through an in-game questionnaire: crossing over the real and virtual divide, this data will be used in the improvement of the actual GR Supra in the real world.

The second year of the 'GR Supra GT Cup' will start with an online series comprised of 7 Rounds, beginning on 26 April on the Fuji Speedway, and the top ranked players will partake in the Final live event in November to determine the overall Champion.

Racing on a level playing field puts more emphasis on tyre management strategies than on overall speed, and if last season is anything to go by, we are in once again for a great deal of drama. Many of the top drivers from the FIA Gran Turismo Championships also participated, with the 2019 Nations Cup Champion Mikail Hizal taking also the Supra GT Cup crown.

What kind of racing will we see in the 'GR Supra GT Cup' 2020 Series? Watch the new season as the drama unfolds, and witness the birth of new heroes on the track!

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_4107138.html
https://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2020/e-motorsports/0305-01.html

Rd.1 April 26 Fuji International Speedway (Japan)
Rd.2 May 17 The Nürburgring (Germany)
Rd.3 June 7 Circuit de La Sarthe (France)
Rd.4 June 21 WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (USA)
Rd.5 July 5 Autódromo José Carlos Pace (Brazil)
Rd.6 July 19 Tokyo Expressway: South Inner loop (Japan)
Rd.7 August 16 Mount Panorama (Australia)
Final Rd. November Real event (TBD)

Last edited:
hope it's better this time, but count me in.

• Racing on a level playing field puts more emphasis on tyre management strategies than on overall speed, and if last season is anything to go by, we are in once again for a great deal of drama.

this sounds like the opposite of what i'd be interested in lol.

Back