Oh Japan! You so crazy!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diego440
  • 27 comments
  • 2,567 views

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Messages
12,486
Venezuela
CCS
Messages
GTP_Diego
When you hear that the demented minds behind notorious Asian films like Ju-On, Tokyo Gore Police, and Machine Girl are working together on a show for Japanese prime time television called The Ancient Dogoo Girl, you expect hundreds of gallons of blood and a few dozen truckloads of severed limbs. What you don’t expect is magical mammaries, bumble bee boobies with bee stingers, Power Rangers-esque power-up montages, and a whole lot of jiggling cleavage action.

Somehow, I’m not even surprised. I feel like I should be, but I’m not.

 
All the magic, bees, stingers, power-ups and jiggling in the world wouldn't make me watch that show. Truly painful.
 
magical mammaries, bumble bee boobies with bee stingers, Power Rangers-esque power-up montages, and a whole lot of jiggling cleavage action.

Much like the average anime, right?

I'm not surprised either. It's like weird, but common for Japan standards.
 
Lovely. Shows like this are totally awesome. Too bad they could never get away with it in the US.
 
"After ten thousand years I'm free! Time to CONQUER TELEVISION!"

If this show was an anime, there would be ten thousand people spewing about how awesome it is.
 
Lovely. Shows like this are totally awesome. Too bad they could never get away with it in the US.

With shows like Deadwood, Dexter, Hung, Californication and Sex in the City, we don't need to.
 
at 1:32, they used the same sound as Pokemon when they let them out of their Poke Balls.

That is all.
 
at 1:32, they used the same sound as Pokemon when they let them out of their Poke Balls.

That is all.

Incorrect. That's the sound made when Pokemon go into their pokeballs.
 
Umm...






That is all I can say in response to what I have just seen...
 
Incorrect. That's the sound made when Pokemon go into their pokeballs.

Ahh yes. It had a more static sound coming out.
 
It's just.

Japan.



They find this perfectly normal, and us weird.
 
I'm going to make an out there claim and say this show is written by guys?
 
Is it strange that I had to read it 3 times before I stopped seeing "Ancient Dogpoo Girl"?
 
It would be, if you weren't so you
 
Much like the average anime, right?

I'm not surprised either. It's like weird, but common for Japan standards.

I'm fairly certain I've heard of this thing before. Oh, it's called Queen's Blade. :grumpy:
 
Is it strange that I had to read it 3 times before I stopped seeing "Ancient Dogpoo Girl"?

After seeing the bee-girl shoot mud out of her brassiere... and considering the swirly shape of the hero's... I'm wondering if that's what they actually mean...

TB
All the magic, bees, stingers, power-ups and jiggling in the world wouldn't make me watch that show. Truly painful.

If you're going to write a completely unintelligent show, flaunt it. Revel in it. Swim in your mediocrity.

I absolutely love it. Where can I buy the subtitled DVD? :lol:
 
Somehow, I’m not even surprised. I feel like I should be, but I’m not.
You know...I want to bust out with a thread that displays my feelings of many immature forum members that latch onto the concept that most everything Made in Japan is automatically cool, which annoys me to no end.

And then, something totally absurd like this comes around and shifts that idea onto its ear.

I think this show would get stale after about two episodes, though.
 
Saw this on TV and felt it appropriate for this thread. Enjoy.

 
Space battling undergarments and gourmet ingredients. Makes perfect sense.
 
On Speedy's video, I made it to just over a minute and half mark. It was either I stop there, or blow my brains out.

For the record, I'm just as lost as rest of you guys are. :dopey: Couple of you guys mentioned anime, which is funny, because me & my buddy was talking about just that earlier this week. How so many of the Japanese films that makes it to the States are completely out there, and it is like they try so hard to translate anime style content to live shot films. And they hit the wall harder than we did at the Battle of Midway(this joke would not amuse my late-grandpa). :p
 
Saw this on TV and felt it appropriate for this thread. Enjoy.



Aren't mushrooms a euphemism for the male genitals in Japan? I can only imagine what the clam is...
 
How so many of the Japanese films that makes it to the States are completely out there, and it is like they try so hard to translate anime style content to live shot films.

One of the reasons why my brother and me said all the time that Dragon Ball: Evolution would suck to no end. Give it an opportunity? No way. In anime, it's okay. But to see guys launching balls of energy from their hands in a live action movie just doesn't look right.
 
One of the reasons why my brother and me said all the time that Dragon Ball: Evolution would suck to no end. Give it an opportunity? No way. In anime, it's okay. But to see guys launching balls of energy from their hands in a live action movie just doesn't look right.
Funny how anime styles are damn near impossible to translate to live action, yet, American comic-based Hollywood films don't look half bad. Some look downright awesome.
 
Aren't mushrooms a euphemism for the male genitals in Japan? I can only imagine what the clam is...


Perhaps so...

For those who don't know, the song title translates to "Viva the female!"
 
I never would've guessed it. I thought it was something to do with food.
 
One of the reasons why my brother and me said all the time that Dragon Ball: Evolution would suck to no end. Give it an opportunity? No way. In anime, it's okay. But to see guys launching balls of energy from their hands in a live action movie just doesn't look right.

It sucked because it had terrible production values, it had budget flick written all over it.

Oh... and I don't really see the point of the DBZ cartoons... I liked the original series, but the later seasons and manga were laden with over-the-top madness and needlessly convoluted plots and contrived battles:

Ridiculously overpowered super-martial artist alien #1:
That's your kung fu? Hah! Mine is better! (uses super-powerful kung-fu attack!) You're so damn slow!

Ridiculously overpowered super-martial artist alien #2... who happens to look like a human with a monkey tail:
Pfft! That almost hurt. Little did you know that I've been fighting you with a handicap. My shirt weighs two tons! (takes off shirt)

ROSMAA1:
Whaaaat? Then I'll have to show you my true power! (Level Up!)

ROSMAA2:
What? Scary! I have to go super, too! (Level Up!)

(fierce match of fireball throwing ensues)

ROSMAA1:
Ultimate attack #27!

ROSMAA2:
Ultimate attack #35!

ROSMAA1:
Damnit! Need more power! (Level Up... again!)

ROSMAA2:
Level Up!

(fierce match of fireball throwing ensues... again... ROSMAA2 ends up lying battered on the ground...)

ROSMAA1:
Ultimate Ultimate Attack! (insanely slow power build-up... oh... about twenty minutes long as we cut away to ROSMAA2's friends watching the battle from orbit)

ROSMAA2:
Noooooooooo!

Father... is that you?

ROSMAA2's Dad's Ghost, who has been running down from heaven on the back of an endless dragon for the past twenty episodes:
Whew! Let me catch my breath first... Okay... Let's finish this!

(Father and Son get their fireball done right before the big baddie does)

(fireball obliterates TV screen... the field the combatants are standing on, and half the planet)

ROSMAA2's Dad: Okay... now let's volt in!

ROSMAA2: Errh... Dad... fight's over...

-

And if you thought that was long and pointless... that's the plot summary of a twenty-episode / twenty-manga-installment fight scene. :lol:

-

The original series was pretty cool... a mix of martial arts, fantasy, geeky cyber-punk design and giant monkeys. Later on, it got caught up way too much in the alien invader angle... and some of the "Z" episodes are pretty dragging... though it got looser and goosier later on, and got some of the fun back.
 
For me, it was good until around "Cell". That might've been my favorite stretch of the series, and of course the part leading up to it.

It's said that Toriyama wanted to end the series for the longest time, but couldn't do it due to the pressure from the publisher(prob. 'Jump' magazine).

P.S. HACKr's take is correct. I don't remember seeing them in the video though. Maybe I didn't get that far!
 
It's said that Toriyama wanted to end the series for the longest time, but couldn't do it due to the pressure from the publisher(prob. 'Jump' magazine).

Yep, he wanted to end it at the end of the Freiza saga but by popular demand was forced to continue it. He then wanted it to be complete at the end of the Cell saga but again was encouraged by public pressure (indeed advertised by Shonen Jump) to perpetuate the series until its closing with the Kid Buu/Xth Tenkaichi Budokai sub-saga.

It was an absolute nostaligic experience when Shonen Jump specially commissioned a new DBZ movie for the series' 10th anniversary a while ago.

The series will be back again in a new form no doubt one day, lets just hope that its production will be overseen by Akira Toriyama and not the retarded Americans who spat out DB Evolution. :ouch:
 
Back