Oh no, another disc read check error thread.

• Thread starter Hyst
  • 19 comments
Right, I'll keep this short and sweet, any help is appreciated, I searched and found nothing useful.

My PS2 is a slim, version SCPH-75001. I have owned 2 copies of GT4 in the past two years, both bought new and worked flawlessly. The first time I had a disc read error (i.e. the disc was not recognized by the console) I took a Q-tip to the lens and it worked fine. Today I bought a used copy of GT4 from EBGames, and I was assured that it had been tested. And so, I took it home, and an hour later here I am, and it's not working.

I've tried

• Turning the PS2 upside down
  • Turning the PS2 onto it's side
  • Taken a Q-tip and cleaned the lens
  • Taken a Q-tip and cleaned the entire inside of the disc tray

All methods that have worked in the past for other games/movies but nothings worked here. Any idea how to fix this? Any cheap ways I can clean my disc with household products. Will I need to open up my PS2 and perform a little surgery?

Something that might make a difference -

I've heard that using Gamesharks and ARMax's can screw up the laser alignment, and it so happens I used an ARMax disc today already.

Can anyone help me?

Have a look at the thread that was just started last nite...on this very subject! :crazy: It's like 3 or 4 threads below this one.

My theory? You've got a used game. So did I at first. :guilty: Even tho it looks okay, there may be minor scratches & aberrations on the disc surface that's screwing everything up. My used copy wound up doing the same thing...:mad:

...return the used copy and see if you can get a new one. That's what worked for me. Disc cleaners, q-tips, putting the PS2 slim on its side, dropping my console, etc did NOT work.

Last edited:
a little tip from Gameshark themselves

gameshark disks are burned over unsold or unused games (try sticking a vid game disk in your computer and looking at the files for fun) in order to have the required signature to read as a game. FROM the factory, mind (it's right on the website)...
occasionally, neither the fat nor slim will read these disks. what they say is to turn the Diagnosis on in the opening browse item (with no disk in). try this trick with your unit.

Am onto my third GT4 disk, and I used illegal means last time. 1st one was from a major department store, but I lost the receipt and they wouldn't replace it. I bought another from a similar dpt store, lsot the receipt and still couldn't get it replaced despite the fact the store manager was one of my best friends at school (I didn't tell him I tried to root his girlfriend ten years ago). So I bought a used copy, kept the bloody receipt, then returned one of the bodgy disks in the case to get a refund. I'm certainly not proud of this, being a compulsively honest person, but I justify it b/c of the havoc that large supermarket chains wreak upon small business. I'm certainly not a thief, but will take any opportunity to harrass, vandalise or disrupt big business where they benefit by choking small business. [/rant]

Thanks, I'll have a look. But now my PS2 won't read any games :P. Might be time for a new system?

Uh oh...dude you might be right. I mean, if you call Sony, all they'll do is tell you to send your system somewhere and then they charge you for it. New PS2s are cheap nowadays. 💡 A new console might be the answer...maybe....

Also, BIG ALERT TO EVERYONE. Aren't we not supposed to discuss Gameshark stuff anymore? Pupik told me in private Sony is really getting bitchy about stuff like this being discussed here at GTP, since Sony doesn't officially support such systems. I don't think he'll mind if i post what he shared with me:

.... as long as there is no illegal discussion (iso's, rom's, and now emulation discussions are not permitted, as Sony reps have discussed with Jordan about his site), nor anything else that violates the AUP.

Last edited:
Aren't we not supposed to discuss Gameshark stuff anymore?

Personally, I think that should be in the AUP (if it isn't already). This site is about a bunch of neckbeards getting good times with a car, it's not about cheating. This is a sim, not an arcade game, and should be treated as such.

My eternal thanks to those who have helped me -

A quick bit of my own research and finally contact with Sony has confirmed that my PS2 is indeed dead, and the sickening irony it happened more or less the exact time I tried to play my used GT4 I'd just bought for a tenner.

The other irony here, one that is indeed much happier, is that today also happens to be the day I got my first paycheck from work (a cool $300.00) and so I was able to not only buy a newer (and newer type) of PS2 for $129.99, I was able to hunt down a brand new sleek copy of GT4 for a twenty while I was out.

My thanks to all that have helped me. I may still be new here but I am not new to forums in general and I can appreciate how annoying threads like this can be.

No wuckers Hyst. You can show your appreciation by reviewing one of the many many good cars listed in the Tuners' forum. Hope to see a bit more of you around here.

EDIT: Oh wait, we're in the GT4 subforum, not the Tuners'. Check it out anyway, sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:
Also, BIG ALERT TO EVERYONE. Aren't we not supposed to discuss Gameshark stuff anymore? Pupik told me in private Sony is really getting bitchy about stuff like this being discussed here at GTP...[/i][/b]

There's no problems with any GameShark Discussions on our boards; they are not illegal devices that copy the game, since they only copy game saves. Sony does not seem to make any fuss about GameSharks, Action Replay, MaxDrives, et cetera.

We frown upon emulation, game copying, and mod-chipping, though.

and they're gonna have to realize that these things will exist. if NINTENDO couldn't pull it off...

There's no problems with any GameShark Discussions on our boards; they are not illegal devices that copy the game, since they only copy game saves. Sony does not seem to make any fuss about GameSharks, Action Replay, MaxDrives, et cetera.

We frown upon emulation, game copying, and mod-chipping, though.

Okay, I see. 💡 thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
I borrowed my mates copy when i first had to give my dads friends copy back, and it was massivly scratched. it worked on some things, but stopped on others. but now i have my own copy....

I dont trust used games!!!

I borrowed my mates copy when i first had to give my dads friends copy back, and it was massively scratched. it worked on some things, but stopped on others. but now i have my own copy....

I don't trust used games!!!

you've not been on a budget, then?
I go after the used cheapies. even new disks get scratched from handling. we have a shop up here that will resurface your disks for you, and automatically resurfaces all used disks, and even scrubs down used cartridge contact points. it's also a way for some of us to find older, slightly hard to find games.

notorius for disk read errors? odd, my slim is reading disks EASIER rather than harder.

'course, I also don't have my unit on 24/7/365 like a lot of gamers, either.

I know that this is a bit off topic but I am trying to get my Gameshark disc to load in my Playstation Slim. The number is SCPH-79001 and at first it kept clicking a few times and it wouldn't load. So then I cleaned the laser, set it up vertically and even turned on the diagnosis but it STILL won't load!:crazy: I have the original PS2 and my disc works just fine on there except at times during the game the sound starts breaking up and one night the music for the game was completely shot! What can I do to fix this issue?:guilty:

PF
...still couldn't get it replaced despite the fact the store manager was one of my best friends at school (I didn't tell him I tried to root his girlfriend ten years ago).
Maybe he already knows...;) :sly:

Back