Oil Change

  • Thread starter Thread starter nige
  • 27 comments
  • 1,429 views
Messages
730
Messages
GTP_nige/scooby_nige
I don't think this question has come up yet so here goes. You buy a second hand car from the used car lots. Its done many thousands of miles ( kms ) and the oil light is on. If you race it continually and never replace the oil will the car just gradually lose power or will it eventually just stop due to a blown engine?! What is the most miles you have done in one car without changing the oil?
Cheers, nige
 
nige
If you race it continually and never replace the oil will the car just gradually lose power

Run any 24 hour race with a powerful car e.g. 1000 hp. Check the stats on it before hand and afterwards. You can expect a drop in hp of 5 - 10%.
Change the oil and your hp is back.
 
nige
I don't think this question has come up yet so here goes. You buy a second hand car from the used car lots. Its done many thousands of miles ( kms ) and the oil light is on. If you race it continually and never replace the oil will the car just gradually lose power or will it eventually just stop due to a blown engine?! What is the most miles you have done in one car without changing the oil?
Cheers, nige

No. The engine won't blow and engine wear stops at approx. 10000 miles. The used cars will not get any worse.

66.
 
Not like in real life then!!!
nige
 
nige
Not like in real life then!!!
No, and considering the way the mechanic (I shudder to call him that) extracts the old oil and puts the new stuff in, definately not like real life. :odd:
 
ferrari_chris
No, and considering the way the mechanic (I shudder to call him that) extracts the old oil and puts the new stuff in, definately not like real life. :odd:

it is rather odd. not only UNDER the car, but he goes right under it in a 4WD car. very odd. i say they should have just had a crappy 2D engine render and the bonnet popped
 
chinko
it is rather odd. not only UNDER the car, but he goes right under it in a 4WD car. very odd. i say they should have just had a crappy 2D engine render and the bonnet popped
People talk about the fact that he takes no tools with him, he brings out no waste oil, he takes in no new oil and manages to put it in from underneath the car, but I think the best bit is when he goes in one end and comes out the other, he manages to turn his creeper (his little trolley) around. Watch carefully. When he goes in he has his head a the head end, when he comes out he's facing the same way, but his creeper's not! :odd: :crazy:
 
ferrari_chris
People talk about the fact that he takes no tools with him, he brings out no waste oil, he takes in no new oil and manages to put it in from underneath the car, but I think the best bit is when he goes in one end and comes out the other, he manages to turn his creeper (his little trolley) around. Watch carefully. When he goes in he has his head a the head end, when he comes out he's facing the same way, but his creeper's not! :odd: :crazy:

:lol: i never noticed that :lol:
 
what about an oil pan to get the old oil

how does he put the new oil in to put new oil in you have to pop the bonnet
 
Oil changes are pretty funny especialy in MR cars.
 
what determines if the oil change guy goes out the back of the car, or back out the front after hes done? i thought it was if the car was mr or rr he slides out the back, but a few times hes confused me. like with an audi s4 he went out the back of the car after the oil change?
 
I've noticed that on rear engine, midengine, and AWD cars he goes out the back. For front engine, FF or FR, he comes out the front.
 
seems on any 2wd car he goes and comes from the same end - on a 4wd he will come out a different end.

i reckon he must be some super oil recycler - he drinks the oil from the sump (no bucket and no mess, so there is no other place for it to go), then pi$ses it back up into the engine. talented fellow. Don't try that at home kids.
 
Yeah I've noticed the mechanic going in and coming out odd ways, one time he came out diagonally (perhaps just that once, or I was drunk) ahahha it was great =D
 
AMG_SLK
Run any 24 hour race with a powerful car e.g. 1000 hp. Check the stats on it before hand and afterwards. You can expect a drop in hp of 5 - 10%.
Change the oil and your hp is back.
That's not always the case. You sometimes have a permenent HP loss you will never get back! I think you will always degrade the HP on one of the three 24 hour events.

I have always noted a HP loss on my 24 hour races. I am currently running my S7 multiple times on the ring to collect all the F1 colors, collect the 1,200,000 each win, and intentionally degrade my oil to the 90% level. I can then more easily win 200 A-Spec points on the Saleen S7 Club.

My first 24hr race, I took the Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car on the Nurnbringring 24 hr. I started with 631 PS after a oil change and finished with 623 PS after the race and another oil change. I permenantly lost about 1.26%..... I now have my Saleen at or close to the 90% (89.xxx/90.xxx?) max wear level.
 
Wild Cobra Z28
That's not always the case. You sometimes have a permenent HP loss you will never get back!

Another prime example is a comparison between the all black group C cars and their new counterparts. The new ones will have their max power for a while (sorry don't know how many Ks) but then settle at the level of the black ones. The F1 cars are the major exception to this rule. Their engines and chassis don't get wear - 904 hp for life! (sorry if its not actually 904 - unfortunately my work doesn't let me bring my beloved PS2 with me... but they don't mind us surfing all day :dopey: )
 
Ezz777
<snip>The F1 cars are the major exception to this rule. Their engines and chassis don't get wear - 904 hp for life!<snip> :dopey: )

I am almost annoyed that I can't change the oil in my F1 (or wash it, guess it's got some sort of teflon paint that doesn't collect dirt ;)) - that seems so unrealistic to me.

Or maybe they figure the F1's are so exclusive they've got someone to automatically wash it and change your oil for you between races.

Though it *is* rather nice not to have to worry about a power loss... 👍

***

One other thing that seems rather odd on the unbalanced end of things as far as the game goes...

(except for the F1's):
You have to pay for an oil change.
You have to pay to get it washed.
But you get to wear out all the tires you want for free??? :odd:

UMP
 
UrsaMajorPrime
(except for the F1's):
You have to pay for an oil change.
You have to pay to get it washed.
But you get to wear out all the tires you want for free??? :odd:

Ssshhhh... don't tell PD! can you imagine how annoying it would have to be to buy new tyres everytime you wanted to enter a race. Unless you bought like a tyre contract instead of a one off figure. Including a per pitstop price might work.
 
Ezz777
Ssshhhh... don't tell PD! can you imagine how annoying it would have to be to buy new tyres everytime you wanted to enter a race. Unless you bought like a tyre contract instead of a one off figure. Including a per pitstop price might work.

Hehe, it *would* be annoying sure, but aren't we playing "The REAL driving simulator" here? :trouble:

Speaking of pit stops, apparently FUEL is free too!

I like the $/pit idea - hmm. Instead of paying out the nose ($42k for super-softs; maybe that's why they let you wear them out for free, you gotta pay a bunch for them up front - heck there are entires CARS that don't cost as much as set of tires)

Anyway 💡 - the $/pit thing, charge for whatever tires you use + fuel (of course a non upgraded Mini Cooper isn't going to use the same expensive jet fuel the F1's use...) and, oh wait, what about races where you don't pit? In real life those tires are toast, never used again, even if you only run 1 lap on them...

Hmm.

I'm very curious to see what they do in GT5...

UMP
 
Wild Cobra Z28
That's not always the case. You sometimes have a permenent HP loss you will never get back!...

I think that HP degrades over time until you reach 8500Km in that vehicle, then it will degrade no further. This is sort of the base power figure. This is also the power figure that is quoted at the start of the replay.

This thread here explains all the ins-and-outs surrounding the complex power system in GT4. A good read... :)
 
UrsaMajorPrime
But you get to wear out all the tires you want for free??? :odd:

UMP

The ones you pay for up front aren't free or even cheap. 5 grand for a car that on average will probably cover 200 miles? :ouch:

As for paying per set and for fuel, before doing that I would hope they'd make wear and fuel rates more realistic. I am 100% sure that the Group C endurance racers, for instance, did not have to change tyres every fifteen laps on a standard length cicruit, yet on GT4 that's what you get out of the hardest ones! That really would be expensive.

The way they do it now works for me. Pay once, use when you want. :)
 
Ezz777
Ssshhhh... don't tell PD! can you imagine how annoying it would have to be to buy new tyres everytime you wanted to enter a race. Unless you bought like a tyre contract instead of a one off figure. Including a per pitstop price might work.


Yeah, PD are pretty tight. They even put your crappy old oil back in after you pay for a major engine upgrade! :sick:
 
I know it has been discussed before, but I would prefer paying cash to enter chanpionships and races instead of paying for gas and tires, you know? Gas and tires would be nickels and dimes... If you had to pay $10.000 everytime you enter a championship, it would be nicer. It would make you think twice before exiting a race you just missed the first corner... Of course, they would have to improve information about the race, I mean, I would not spend 10k into a race I don't even know what I am racing against!!! :)
 
This may be common knowledge, but I have only discovered it recently. It doesn't make much sense, but an oil change on a brand new car (never driven) will jump the horsepower quite a bit.
 
Gentry Coach
This may be common knowledge, but I have only discovered it recently. It doesn't make much sense, but an oil change on a brand new car (never driven) will jump the horsepower quite a bit.
Ya, when I do an oil change on a new car, the jump is anywhere between 12-30 HP. Quite a cheep first upgrade if you ask me. However, I think that the game thinks it's an upgrade, as it will effect the A-Spec points. I raced agaisnt a group of 5 other cars exactly like mine (I had no upgrades) and it was 60 pts. When I entered again, same 5 cars, no upgrades to me except an oil change, now it's 47 points.
 
It's typically 5% of your base horsepower.
 
chevguy
Ya, when I do an oil change on a new car, the jump is anywhere between 12-30 HP. Quite a cheep first upgrade if you ask me. However, I think that the game thinks it's an upgrade, as it will effect the A-Spec points. I raced agaisnt a group of 5 other cars exactly like mine (I had no upgrades) and it was 60 pts. When I entered again, same 5 cars, no upgrades to me except an oil change, now it's 47 points.
Your A-Spec points decrease because your power has increased. A-Spec points are based on power output of your car (among many other things) so if you increase the power of your car, then you'll decrease your A-Spec points.

GT4 doesn't consider it an upgrade, but running fresh new oil increases the HP. :)
 
The maintenance aspect is definitely one aspect that needs to be improved for the next GT, it feels rather amateuristic, pointless and rushed in GT4 now.
 
Back