Ok guys, I'm stuck.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JLawrence
  • 17 comments
  • 1,593 views
Messages
1,283
Messages
GTP_FreakinWolfy
Ever heard of writers block? Well I appear to be having a bit of racers block. I've been trying and trying to dial in one particular car, but I no matter what I do I am stuck running times within one tenth of a 1:14. My best is a full second better than that with plenty of time left to pick up, and even with the set I used to get it I simply can't duplicate it. So, the question here is, what do you guys do when you are in a slump?
 
If I tune and I REALLY can't get faster then I will probably leave it for another time and come back to it later.
 
We all have good and bad driving days... go drive something just for fun and come back to it another time :)
 
When I am stuck in the slow lane:

1) Turn PS3 off
2) Drink a Red Bull (or caffeinated beverage of choice)
4) Turn on some jazz
5) Dim the lights
6) Make sweet love to my wife
7) Turn PS3 on
8) Repeat as necessary

works for me 👍
 
I go to bed when that happens.
 
If I tune and I REALLY can't get faster then I will probably leave it for another time and come back to it later.

Same - BUT

Before you go back to it, try and do some research and investigation, see what others are saying about that car. It might be something particular about that car you haven't noticed or realised, but others have, some cars can be 'exceptions to the rules'..

Then wait until you to have a clear head, and give it another go....

Also, buy another exact copy of that car, start tuning that in a completely different way, see if you learn or notice anything different then.
 
Same - BUT

Before you go back to it, try and do some research and investigation, see what others are saying about that car. It might be something particular about that car you haven't noticed or realised, but others have, some cars can be 'exceptions to the rules'..

Then wait until you to have a clear head, and give it another go....

Also, buy another exact copy of that car, start tuning that in a completely different way, see if you learn or notice anything different then.

Just a thought, but would tuning a car minus the horsepower upgrades translate to the built up version of the car, just not so drastic with say the camber, toe out etc? I just so happen to have three of this one, so I can do all sorts of variations.
 
Just a thought, but would tuning a car minus the horsepower upgrades translate to the built up version of the car, just not so drastic with say the camber, toe out etc? I just so happen to have three of this one, so I can do all sorts of variations.

Not always - depends.

If you tune a car with a certain power level and have certain tyres, you need to tune the setup for that ratio (power - grip levels).

By then adding more power, you are changing the ratio, so for some cars the settings would then not work.

i.e. you tune suspension so the rear tyres 'grip' at 'X' power, then add more power to make it 'Y' power, but you now have too much power for the grip levels of the tyres, so you may need to change the setup again.

Same applies for the LSD too, for some cars, changing the power will affect the settings on this, as the LSD helps to 'control' the torque. Change torque levels and the previous settings might not be applicable any more.

What car is it we're talking about here - full name and model please if possible??

Also, full details like the power and tyres aswell would be helpful, also, is it maxed out or what drivetrain parts you using, aero too etc etc - anything that can alter or affect the car's behaviour.
 
I've been in a slump ever since PSN went down. I need the Formula Gran Turismo, for the Extreme Series, and can't get it to show up in the UCD and wasn't smart enough to get it from the OCD before PSN went down! All I wanna do is beat that and run some NÜR online... But, until then, while in my slump I run tune/test laps around NÜR with my custom playlist Race BGM(METAL) ripping through my ears. I love that track. It can really make you forgive Sony, & PSN, and thank god you were smart enough to get a PS3 & GT5 instead of 360 & FM3. Where else can you enjoy a realistic cruise down NÜR from your livingroom. So, NÜR is my de-slumper. lol
 
It's the Cobra 427 fully maxed. I'm trying to turn it into a 1:10 car at Deep Forest. As it sits my best is a low 1:13, but I know that I'm losing a lot of time on the back half of the track. I wish that I could give it some downforce, because that could easily take it under my 1:10 mark It's the loss of grip coming over the hills that just kill it i think.
 
I usually keep at it. I can't remember what car I was using, but I was at Tsukuba doing hot laps. After 5 laps I'd done a, shall we say, 1'05.5. Then for about 10 laps after that I just couldn't get below 1'06.0, even though I knew the car could do a 1'04 quite easily. Then after a while I did a 1'03.5 and was literally shocked that so many poor laps could result in me smashing a time I didn't think I could ever get close to again.

I often just measure where I'm catching up to/getting away from my ghost and where I'm falling behind and try to string a lap of catching up/getting away sections. It's weird but I find I can actually visualise the lap a turn ahead of where I am after a while, but Tsukuba is a very short lap.
 
if you dont drift...i use to not and i didnt know why i was 1 second faster sometimes. was doing it without knowing it. hahahaha

now im trying to perfect high speed drifting.

even if you do do it. it doesnt guarentee you will be fast because you increase your odds of wrecking exponentially it seems. just running 1 wreck free lap to set your ultimate fastest lap time can be very hard.:)
 
I dunno what it was, but I snapped out of it and even figured out a better line for one of the sections I was having so much trouble. As it sits now if I were to run it clean I'm sure I could duck into the 11's
 
When I am stuck in the slow lane:

1) Turn PS3 off
2) Drink a Red Bull (or caffeinated beverage of choice)
4) Turn on some jazz
5) Dim the lights
6) Make sweet love to my wife
7) Turn PS3 on
8) Repeat as necessary

works for me 👍

I tried this, but I didn't like the jazz.......<removed by mod>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I am stuck in the slow lane:

1) Turn PS3 off
2) Drink a Red Bull (or caffeinated beverage of choice)
4) Turn on some jazz
5) Dim the lights
6) Make sweet love to my wife
7) Turn PS3 on
8) Repeat as necessary

works for me 👍

I'm in a slump, would you mind if I tried option 6?
 
I'm in a slump, would you mind if I tried option 6?

+1, but send a picture first please :D

btt: mh, mby try race some other cars or take some time off from gt5. sometimes it helps to get some distance from a game.
 
Back