Old vs. the new..

• Thread starter RacingAF
  • 24 comments
United States
United States
Project Cars is a huge step in the right direction and I'd say the best all around game in some time... Just for fun I pulled out the original xbox and raced some golden oldies!!
F1 2001 - Still fresh with the earliest weather effects.
Nascar 03 to 06 - Not the best graphics but awsome features like Total Team Control (race multiple cars in one race from the same team )
Switching cars in seasons.
Close pack racing.
Best A.I. ever -Play rough with them and they retaliate.
These features made for great replayablity.. I hope we see stuff like this in the future...

Those games hadn't loads and loads of content. It was just very well done. I don't think that customers would accept 10 tracks and 15 cars in a game nowadays.

One of the best features I remember was having Used cars dealership in GT2. That was awesome back in the day.

But for this franchise, I hope we se Teammates implemented like Grid 1, also AI personalities like Forza Drivatars.

Last edited:
Those games hadn't loads and loads of content. It was just very well done. I don't think that customers would accept 10 tracks and 15 cars in a game nowadays.
Most wouldn't that's true. But Assetto Corsa didn't have much more than that at launch in terms of developer content (modding was open so there was a lot of free modded content) and I thought it was/is brilliant and well worth the money.

One of the best features I remember was having Used cars dealership in GT2. That was awesome back in the day.

But for this franchise, I hope we se Teammates implemented like Grid 1, also AI personalities like Forza Drivatars.
I would much rather edit my own AI drivers ...Hate drivatars...

I personally have not played many of the older racing games on consoles. The first one I got into was Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn. Not much to it but had a lot of fun with it. After that it was GT4 then Forza 2, 3 GT5P, 5 Forza 4 and GT6 oh Also had Horizon and Shift2 unfortunately. Both of those did not see much play.

The PC on the other hand was the route I always preferred. I had like the first 8 or 9 NFS games for the PC. Loved Porsche Unleashed. I also have Toca 2 and 3, GTR2, GT Legends, a few Nascar titles, RFactor2 A few Test Drive titles [never really cared for any of the test drives]

I really liked Toca and GT Legends, GTR2 is very good as a sim but at the time I played it was used a pad and had many issues with driving it. I went back later with a wheel and only then could I appreciate how well that game handled. When I saw that P-cars was from the same guys that did GTR2 that caught my interest though the fact that they were also involved with Shift2 made me a bit Leary.

Toca 3 ( or DTM racedriver as it was called over here) was the best racing I've had untill project cars.
Hopefully there will be more circuits that where in the old game comming to pcars.

I would love to race Zandvoort again.

Landmark racing 'sims' for me :

TOCA (PS1)
Formula 1 (Psygnosis - PS1)
Gran Turismo (PS1)
Project CARS (PS4)

So its been a long wait on console for another landmark racer imo! Even though i really enjoyed the Codies F1 games on PS3 and Grid Autosport was a great racing game with brilliant AI at the end of the PS3s life.

Pcars is actually the first game ive played in cockpit view since Test Drive on the Commodore 64 ha!

Most wouldn't that's true. But Assetto Corsa didn't have much more than that at launch in terms of developer content (modding was open so there was a lot of free modded content) and I thought it was/is brilliant and well worth the money.

Well I agree with you. For me it would be the same. 10 cars and 15 tracks but all it had to offer I wanted, I would buy this game instantly. That's why I wonder so many times why often "content lacking" is used in so many games.

I think I would have been a smart move for pCARS as well. Bring a base game to the market with a handfull of cars and tracks but working flawlessly, A "complete series" base-selection. Let's say one pays €25 for this package. Afterward pCARS keeps releasing extra cars and tracks in the form of additional series to the game. A kind of modular structure where everyone can build his or her game with the addons of their wishes. Addons will be released for a reasonable price: €5 to €10. Excisting series can recieve additional cars and tracks for free or small DLC price.

My all time favorite oldie - the original Destruction Derby by Psygnosis for PC! There was nothing more satisfying than to KO other drivers by ramming into them at full speed in the bowl! :sly:

Running on my old laptop 1600x900 and all full detail. Compared to pCARS this looks old and dated by my god did I have fun. Since I currently don't have pCARS I will put some hours in good old TOCA2.

This is Oulton Park many many years ago in gaming:

Can someone add some comparising shots of pCARS?

Nascar Heat for PC was really good as well but only because of mods...I had one iroc mod with F1, Indy and Nascar legends... Senna, Mansell, Andretti, Uncer, Gordon, Earnhardt and Martin to name a few... If I could add just one thing to Project Cars it would be A.I. driver editing instead of racing random names every race...That really sucks!! You can't even tell which car won..

:lol:

It's doesn't look that bad on PC. I also have it for Psone and that looks...euh...:eek:

It's the first time it runs on my PC and I had to fiddle around with it to get it running. I'll see if i can make some footage. Just for comparison with pCARS.

@Classic it's very nice to see it un motion. Colors are indeed superbe. None of that "Brown" filter.

So here it is :D 3 laps Oulton Park, Sunny Weather in TOCA2. The AI is set to medium and for the moment 3 laps are to short to win.

Second video is uploading with the Donington Track and the BTCC '97 mod loaded.

Last edited:
It's amazing how some of these older games have stood the test of time and are still a hoot to play... I also am grateful to the developers of Project Cars for giving us Americans a nod with the Caper cars...Mostly a European feel to this game but they remembered the golden era of Nascar and I'm completely hooked lol...
Still haven't gotten around to trying the Touring cars yet...

Well I agree with you. For me it would be the same. 10 cars and 15 tracks but all it had to offer I wanted, I would buy this game instantly. That's why I wonder so many times why often "content lacking" is used in so many games.

I think I would have been a smart move for pCARS as well. Bring a base game to the market with a handfull of cars and tracks but working flawlessly, A "complete series" base-selection. Let's say one pays €25 for this package. Afterward pCARS keeps releasing extra cars and tracks in the form of additional series to the game. A kind of modular structure where everyone can build his or her game with the addons of their wishes. Addons will be released for a reasonable price: €5 to €10. Excisting series can recieve additional cars and tracks for free or small DLC price.

RRRE, then!

This gives me an idea. Using the DTM Classics mod for GTR2 I will try to compare GTR2 with PCars (when I buy PCars). 1992 DTM (Audi V8 replacing the Sierra for GTR2) at Oschersleben.

Back