Older movie revisit - Requiem for a Dream

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zrow
  • 29 comments
  • 914 views

Zrow

Sweet, delicious
Premium
Messages
2,734
Messages
AndrewPaul
Pretty intense movie, if I do say so myself. I honestly think it should be mandatory viewing for any high school senior as an example of why hard drugs and addiction is bad bad bad. I loved how it was filmed, and also appreciated the ending for not giving us a break. Your thoughts?
 
yeah i thought it was a damn good movie as well :) very dark.
 
I thought this movie was good, but still overrated.
 
I thought it was OK, definitely unique. ceiling_fan pretty much summed it up for me.
 
Brilliant film... Not at all overrated... In fact, I think it's quite underrated... Most people miss all the symbolism in the film, and think it's just about drugs... Daren Aronofsky is a visionary director...

I definitely wouldn't call it an OLDER film though...



;)
 
Well, I just meant 'older' in a sense that it's not a new movie.
 
it sorta reminded me of a few books.. death of a salesman being one of them :p
 
The whole movie makes you feel like you are on drugs. I enjoyed it though 👍
 
Crazy movie, and definitly an eye opener to the world of addiction and the dark side of life. I liked it, but I have a couple friends that can't watch it due to the amount of needles entering the skin. :lol:
 
I remember seeing part of it, one of my "let's see independent movies" friends brought it over. I didn't really like it and no ones life is that bad, not even drug addicts.

As far as drug movies go I liked Traffic and Blow a lot better.
 
wow blazin, you dont think there are people with lives that bad? i'm ure there are and people with even worse lives.
 
BlazinXtreme
I remember seeing part of it, one of my "let's see independent movies" friends brought it over. I didn't really like it and no ones life is that bad, not even drug addicts.

As far as drug movies go I liked Traffic and Blow a lot better.

Obviously you've never known a heroin addict. It really does mess up your life, badly, most drugs I'd agree that people exaggerate the dangers of them, but heroin really is that bad. (that being said, i've experimented with lots of drugs in my time, but I will never, and have never touched heroin.)

As for the movie, I own it, but I've probably only seen it 3 or 4 times. After a while it's just too painful and depressing to watch. It is a really good movie though, the actress who plays Harry's mother (I forget the name at the moment) did an excellent job.

Blow was a great movie, I have that on DVD too. Another good movie about the dangers of drugs is Trainspotting, it's kind of like requiem but British and a little bit more lighthearted.
 
BlazinXtreme
I remember seeing part of it, one of my "let's see independent movies" friends brought it over. I didn't really like it and no ones life is that bad, not even drug addicts.

Are you serious? Atleast those people had an apartment. I know people that live on the street and beg for money hoping to get enough to jab themselves in the arm again. You can tell them apart from the normal homeless people by their open sores and track marks. :yuck:

I've had friends with plans to deal enough coke/weed/heroin to be able to snort/smoke/jab the profits, therefore doing it for "free" who fail miserably at self restraint and end up doing it all withing a weekend only to find themselves thousands in debt. Just a couple years ago I had a friend move across the country (I live in Canada) because he owed over 10 grand to people because he couldn't control of his habit.

If anything, this is a pretty realistic look at the dark side of drugs in my opinion. 👍
 
i know... very strange statement by blazin :p very strange
 
This is one of the few movies that are actually physically and mentally difficult for me to watch. I love it, but it doesn't go down smooth, I'll say that.
 
I've known plenty of addicts, if you come from a wealthy area you'll see more addicts then in poor areas.
 
BlazinXtreme
I've known plenty of addicts, if you come from a wealthy area you'll see more addicts then in poor areas.
:lol: :lol:

Have you ever seen a REAL drug addict? (your pot-smoking yuppie friends don't count)
 
BlazinXtreme
I've known plenty of addicts, if you come from a wealthy area you'll see more addicts then in poor areas.

Ok, that's just nonsense... I have lived in both wealthy areas, and in extreme poverty... Crack, Meth, Heroin, Crank, and other such drugs were common place in the projects in Brooklyn, and in the LA suburbs... The only people doing drugs in the wealthy areas were the business men (coke, and the occasional crystal), and the rich teenagers... Sure, these dynamics vary from location to location, but in general, poverty stricken areas are far more prone to high drug use, leading to very debilitating addictions...





;)
 
Delphic Reason
Brilliant film... Not at all overrated... In fact, I think it's quite underrated... Most people miss all the symbolism in the film, and think it's just about drugs... Daren Aronofsky is a visionary director...

I definitely wouldn't call it an OLDER film though...
When I said overrated, that's exactly what I was talking about. :p Just kidding, DR!

Max Powers
Another good movie about the dangers of drugs is Trainspotting, it's kind of like requiem but British and a little bit more lighthearted.
On top of that, Trainspotting had so much style. It was an eye opener in music, filmmaking, culture, etc. It just might've been the first film I saw Ewan McGregor in as well. Two thumbs up!
 
Have you ever seen a REAL drug addict? (your pot-smoking yuppie friends don't count)

Junior year of high school a kid was arrested for selling and possession cocaine, he had some on him as well. Weed is not the drug of choic in my area, coke and meth are steadily on the rise. Also in high school we had 3 drug counclers and twice a month we had dogs come in to check the lockers. So yes I know addicts and they aren't just the pot smokers.

Ok, that's just nonsense... I have lived in both wealthy areas, and in extreme poverty... Crack, Meth, Heroin, Crank, and other such drugs were common place in the projects in Brooklyn, and in the LA suburbs... The only people doing drugs in the wealthy areas were the business men (coke, and the occasional crystal), and the rich teenagers... Sure, these dynamics vary from location to location, but in general, poverty stricken areas are far more prone to high drug use, leading to very debilitating addictions..

Poor people don't have the money, rich people have too much money so they don't know what to do with it. I would say I know more drug users in my area then non drug users and like I said I'm in a fairly wealthy area. Granted they aren't the sellers of said drugs for the most part, they are just the users. They typically buy from the poorer people in the poverty areas like Pontiac or Detroit.
 
They buy from the poorer people? But I thought the pooere people can't afford to get the drugs?

A lot of rich people do use drug's that's true, but lot of them arn't heavy users, the heavy users are often the one's on the street, they'd rather pay for the drugs than ther rent etc. I've seen some seriously messed up people, I live in a pretty decent area in Manchester, and there's not as many drug users here that I know of, there's some, but the one's I do from around here know arn't heavy users. On the other hand, I've seen drug users from poorer area's begging for cash so they can get a night in a B&B and then go and spend the money on drugs and spend the night in a back alley. There are people on drugs that live far worse lives than in that movie.
 
Drug dealers don't make a lot of money, you can find that out if you read Freakanomics.
 
thats like saying chefs dont make alot of money. sure most dont make much but some build empires (mcdonalds kfc etc)
 
Selling drugs is not profitable at all, it's a huge pyramid thing and all the money goes to some drug lord in Columbia or some other country.
 
BlazinXtreme
Selling drugs is not profitable at all, it's a huge pyramid thing and all the money goes to some drug lord in Columbia or some other country.
Doesn't that mean that the drug lord in Columbia, South Carolina will become rich?
 
I forgot they spell the one in South America different, so Colombia. But you knew what I meant.
 
It's pretty easy to make money selling drugs, you don't have to be a Colombian drug lord. The hard part is not getting arrested and losing all of that money.
 
I really suggest reading Freakanomics, it really explains drug dealing quite well. You don't turn a huge profit selling drugs, you are better off getting a legal job.
 
Lots of drug dealers have normal jobs as well, at least the ones I know. It's just a means of income on the side for some people. I don't really care about what Freakanomics says, since I have no plans to ever sell drugs, but I've known plenty of people who have made quite a bit of cash selling drugs, only problem is they usually lose it later by either being robbed or arrested.
 
You could, but I'm talking about selling drugs as a living.
 
Back